Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two questions about BofA product change and Best Buy Card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Two questions about BofA product change and Best Buy Card

Hello,

Like everyone here I have learned a great deal on these forums - thanks to all of you! 

1. I had a partially secured ($59 fee card) from BofA since 1/2008 which unsecured on 1/2009.  It changed to the World Points Visa with the same initial credit limit of $500.  I did ask for a credit limit increase when it unsecured but was declined, due to high utilization on overall accounts.  Anyway in July I paid off most of my accounts to where I have a 30% utilization overall.  My FICO scores jumped about 50 pts. to: EXP 702, EQ: 686, TU 683.  Yes that is a real EXP score from a bank.  I instant messaged a CSR with BofA yesterday and they were able to change it to a Bankamericard Visa, but no mention of a CLI.  My question is - do you think I should ask again for a CLI?  Anyone experience a CLI these days with a former secured card despite the product change?

2. I also have a Best Buy MC with a $800 limit opened 1/2008.  I've never received a CLI from them and I called today and spoke to both a CSR and his supervisor who had no idea what a hard inquiry and a soft inquiry were.  I explained the difference and requested a soft inquiry.  Regardless they still stated they could not request anything but a hard inquiry.  Has anybody had any luck getting a CLI out of this card?  I suspect it is a B-type card since I cannot request a CLI online.  If it is never going to grow with me then I am tempted to close or SD the card.  Does anybody have the number to a credit analyst?

Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

Re: Two questions about BofA product change and Best Buy Card

As far as BofA is concerned log into the website and call your card up. Find the link to request a CLI. It would be in the "Balance Summary" section in the "Available Credit" area (if you have it). If you don't have it stop. If you do have it click, complete the form and sumbit. Most likely you will be told to call. The number will send you to a credit analyst. Answer some questions - it will be done on a soft INQ unless they tell you otherwise.

They are giving increases these days, but always remember that a CLI request does open your account to scrutiny and if everything is not up to snuff on your CBR's your account can be CLD'ed or closed. 

Good Luck!

Message 2 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello,

Like everyone here I have learned a great deal on these forums - thanks to all of you! 

1. I had a partially secured ($59 fee card) from BofA since 1/2008 which unsecured on 1/2009.  It changed to the World Points Visa with the same initial credit limit of $500.  I did ask for a credit limit increase when it unsecured but was declined, due to high utilization on overall accounts.  Anyway in July I paid off most of my accounts to where I have a 30% utilization overall.  My FICO scores jumped about 50 pts. to: EXP 702, EQ: 686, TU 683.  Yes that is a real EXP score from a bank.  I instant messaged a CSR with BofA yesterday and they were able to change it to a Bankamericard Visa, but no mention of a CLI.  My question is - do you think I should ask again for a CLI?  Anyone experience a CLI these days with a former secured card despite the product change?

2. I also have a Best Buy MC with a $800 limit opened 1/2008.  I've never received a CLI from them and I called today and spoke to both a CSR and his supervisor who had no idea what a hard inquiry and a soft inquiry were.  I explained the difference and requested a soft inquiry.  Regardless they still stated they could not request anything but a hard inquiry.  Has anybody had any luck getting a CLI out of this card?  I suspect it is a B-type card since I cannot request a CLI online.  If it is never going to grow with me then I am tempted to close or SD the card.  Does anybody have the number to a credit analyst?

Thanks in advance.

I've had the RZMC for over 2 years.  Started at $1500 and hasn't moved. I've never seen a CLI button.  I've called several times over the past couple of years for CLI only to be frustrated by the worst CSR's in the industry.  Its a "dead in the water" card.  Quite frankly, I think they fired all their credit analysts several years ago.

Message Edited by illtakecreditforthat on 08-26-2009 08:21 PM
Message 3 of 19
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

If you expect nothing more that the worst possible CS from HSBC you will never be disappointed!
Message 4 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@creditwherecreditisdue wrote:
If you expect nothing more that the worst possible CS from HSBC you will never be disappointed!

Without a doubt.

Message 5 of 19
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Without a doubt.

And in all fairness I will have to say occassionally surprised. It can (and has) happened!

Message 6 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

My thoughts are don't waste a hard inquiry for a RZMC CLI.  The odds are probably not in your favor.  Just wait and see if they auto-generate a CLI.  If not, spend you inquiry to acquire a prime bank card or, in my opinion, a quality CU card.
Message Edited by illtakecreditforthat on 08-26-2009 08:33 PM
Message 7 of 19
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

I though everyone that app'ed BB hoped they didn't get the MC.

Message 8 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

The MC is a "purpose" card.  If your purpose was to get a re-builder MC, they were pretty lenient (unaware of their current underwriting).  It gave me the opportunity to acquire prime cards after establishing a payment history.

Message 9 of 19
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

The MC is a "purpose" card.  If your purpose was to get a re-builder MC, they were pretty lenient (unaware of their current underwriting).  It gave me the opportunity to acquire prime cards after establishing a payment history.

Wouldn't the store card do the same thing?
Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.