Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two successes (BCP & Freedom)

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Two successes (BCP & Freedom)

Hey folks, long time reader, first time poster Smiley Happy

Thought I'd share my recent success with two apps and contemplate next steps. I've been working on building my credit the last few years paying down student loans, but I wasn't in the credit card game besides a Wells Fargo Cash Back card (CL $2,100). My scores got to the mid-700s so after poking around here a while I decided I may as well do a few apps. Went for the Amex Blue Cash Preferred and Chase Freedom, got instant approvals for both - CLs of $2,500 on Amex and $5,000 on Chase.

So next steps, I'm thinking: 1) go for the 3x CLI on Amex; 2) after establishing a little history with Chase, go for the CSP... and about the "Chase trifecta", it's unclear to me if the bonus for getting a checking account is still happening. Anyone? 3) Maybe get another Amex card early next year to take advantage of the backdating.

Including those two recent ones, I only have 3 INQ's on my report.

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

Re: Two successes (BCP & Freedom)

Congratulations on the approvals! It sounds like you have reached prime territory by being patient and using your credit responsibly.

Mind sharing a little more about your profile? How long did you have your Wells Fargo card? How long had you been paying your student loans?

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $50,000, Chase Freedom (12/12) $16,500, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Prestige (4/16) $30,000

Last App: June 27, 2015
Message 2 of 16
somnipotent
Frequent Contributor

congrats!!!  the BCP is the only card I want that I don't already have... aaargh, need to improve my internal AMEX score!!

AmEx PRG (NPSL) | AmEx Costco ($8.2K) | AmEx Delta Gold ($19.3K) | AmEx BCE ($5K) | Chase United Explorer ($10K) | Chase Sapphire Preferred ($7.5K) | Chase Freedom ($8.2K) | Discover it ($3K) | Capital One Quicksilver ($2.5K) | PayPal Extras ($2.5K) | Lowes ($3.3K) | Walmart ($4.3K) | Amazon ($2.5K) | Restoration Hardware ($8.8K) | Crate & Barrel ($8.3K)
--
Homeowner since 05/29/13
Message 3 of 16
distantarray
Established Contributor

@Omaplatypus wrote:

congrats!!!  the BCP is the only card I want that I don't already have... aaargh, need to improve my internal AMEX score!!

Why don't you apply? your fico's in decent shape and you already have an Amex product, but on second thought wait til January for backdating =)

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 4 of 16
alboto
Regular Contributor

Congratulations on 2 must-haves.

Message 5 of 16
kevinjjc
Valued Contributor

Yeah, look for a $200 bonus for opening a Chase checking account. If you have to, you can buy it on ebay.
Message 6 of 16
EandK23
Regular Contributor

Congrats! Great CL! 

They are still giving out the bonus. I was approved for Freedom two months ago and was recently sent a bonus coupon to open a checking account. 

Message 7 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SnackTrader wrote:

Mind sharing a little more about your profile? How long did you have your Wells Fargo card? How long had you been paying your student loans?
I'm 26, income $52k, been paying the student loans for about 4 years - never missed a payment; I've had the WF for just over two years, although the first year with that card I did carry some high balances while it was in the zero-interest phase (now I PIF). I do my banking with WF, for what it's worth, and never asked for a CLI but got a few CLI's automatically - only small increases though, like $300 once in a while.

Message 8 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@EandK23 wrote:

Congrats! Great CL! 

They are still giving out the bonus. I was approved for Freedom two months ago and was recently sent a bonus coupon to open a checking account. 

Cool - I'll keep an eye out for that.

Message 9 of 16
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

Thank you, that's great! We have very, very, very similar profiles (probably about a year different in terms of AAoA). This gives me some big hope on the BCP. I'm not too worried about the Freedom given what I've read here. Thank you so much for sharing your story!!!

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $50,000, Chase Freedom (12/12) $16,500, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Prestige (4/16) $30,000

Last App: June 27, 2015
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.