cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two successful APR reductions (AMEX/Discover)

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Two successful APR reductions (AMEX/Discover)

I've never really paid attention to APR until I had to recently charge more than I could pay in full, due to buying a new house and needing to buy so many things. I decided to give the chat on AMEX's website a try. I successfully got them to reduce from 18.24% (originally 17.24% when opened) down to 16.24%. Later in the day, I noticed an offer for a card at 13.24% in my account. I called up and inquired about it, but found out it was a business card. I asked if they would match the APR. I was put on hold for a few minutes and she came back with saying she could lower my APR to 15.24%, saying that's the cap to how much they can lower a card in a single day. 

I decided to call Discover and they also lowered my APR by 2%, and gave me a 12 month 0% interest offer as well.

TLDR; AMEX BCE reduced from 18.24% -> 15.24%, Discover IT Chrome reduced by 2% (can't remember the APR's, but much higher than AMEX)

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Two successful APR reductions (AMEX/Discover)

Congrats!!! Discover just lowered my APR by 3% a few days ago.

Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats.  

Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nice work!
Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nice. Let me ask you this .Did your disco have a balance on it when they gave you the offer? If so how much uti? And how long have you been with them? Asking for my sister. 

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have been with Discover for nearly 5 years. CL of $9,000, statement balance of about $20, but already paid, balance of $0.
Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh ok .I was wondering if they would do the offer with a hefty balance on the card .Guess its worth a shot anyway. 

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nice. Wonder if AMEX would lower more for you later.
Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I plan on calling once the APR shows on my account. I assume it will show at the next statement, which is in 2 weeks.
Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on your apr decreases! 

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.