Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Typical CLI from AMEX

tag
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Typical CLI from AMEX

@OhioCPA wrote:

I understood him to ask how much of an increase he should ask for, not what the new credit line should be. Yes, the new CL would be 3x the old, but the CLI is 2x.

If you take the "X" after your 2 then might be more understandable.

The Policy is 3x current line.

You are saying ask for $3k which is 3x current line or $2,000 more = $3k but that won't work with higher lines.

Message 11 of 17
OhioCPA
Frequent Contributor

I wasn't trying to make this complicated. I just know in the past there has been confusion with the way the 3x is presented.

If someone is at $1k currently, the maximum CL that they should ask for is $3k. The OP asked how much of a CLI is typical for a new member, which is what I thought I was addressing.

________________________________________________________________________________
Message 12 of 17
FrugalRican
Blogger

@thrasher865 wrote:

@OhioCPA wrote:

I understood him to ask how much of an increase he should ask for, not what the new credit line should be. Yes, the new CL would be 3x the old, but the CLI is 2x.

I don't think so.  IIRC, AmEx asks for requested limit, not requested increase.

This is correct.

At least this is how it was asked to me and what caused me confusion initially.

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 13 of 17
CK_Charles_Lover
Regular Contributor

OP, 

Ask for $3000 which is 3X your current limit. Please let us know what the outcome is! 

Trans Union Fico (Walmart) ,690 Experian Fico (Amex) 686(Opened 3 new accounts this month. In the Garden)

AMEX BCE ($19,500) AMEX PRG -(NPSL), BARCLAYS US AIR PREMIER WORLD ($10,000), BOA CASH REWARD -($6,000), CITI HILTON RESERVE SIGGY-(5,000), WALMART DISCOVER ( $5,800), CITI DIAMOND ($4,700), CITI DIVIDED WORLD ($4,500), AMAZON STORE($5,000), NORDSTROM VISA SIG($5,000), PAYPAL STORE ($4,000) Amex Delta Gold ($2000)
Message 14 of 17
CreditPacMan
Established Contributor

Sorry for the very late update guys. I didn't request the increase on the 61st day , I waited for a few days to do that.

I was denied a CL of $3,000 which is 3x my current limit. The reason had to do with my low credit score!

Current Cards:
Message 15 of 17
gettnthere
Established Contributor

@altayar wrote:

Sorry for the very late update guys. I didn't request the increase on the 61st day , I waited for a few days to do that.

I was denied a CL of $3,000 which is 3x my current limit. The reason had to do with my low credit score!

sorry to hear that. what was your score at the time of approval vs now? and also, did they not counter with a diffrent cli

Starting Score: EQ 609, EX 633(Fako), TU 700
Current Score: EQ 699, EX 758, TU 733
Goal Score: 720 across the board
Garden Club Member-GC Challenge: App free since 10/31/12 Smiley Wink
Message 16 of 17
RockinRay
Valued Contributor

Sorry to hear this!

But on the flip side, you are in with them and they will for sure grow with you. As your scores rise, so will your CL's. Keep doing what you are doing and it will all work out!

Ray

** Every Card has a Job, and Every Card does its Job **
Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.