Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

U.S. Bank Cash+™ Visa Signature® Credit Card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: U.S. Bank Cash+™ Visa Signature® Credit Card

Maybe I should call and ask about the restrictions on categories before applying. Too much confusion..
Message 21 of 37
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
Maybe I should call and ask about the restrictions on categories before applying. Too much confusion..

What categories appeal the most to you?  It might help if we gave our experiences on those categories of the most benefit to you.  

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 22 of 37
dragontears
Senior Contributor

Personally I like my Cash+ because of the cell phone category (have 5 phones with data and 3 tablets on my plan so it is the largest bill I have after mortgage), I found the clothing store category did not cover the clothes stores I shop at so normally keep fast food as my other category
Message 23 of 37
weehoo
Frequent Contributor

I think if you like the categories then get the card, i can trash talk it but i still have one.  I just wont plan on the categories i like sticking around past the next quarter

Citi AAdvantage WE - 41k | Marriott Bonvoy Brilliance - 29k | Citi Double Cash - 19 .5k | Southwest Premier - 39k | Discover Miles - 23k | GECRB Ebates Visa - 10k | Golden1 Rewards - $10k | Ducks Unlimited - 6k |
Message 24 of 37
14Fiesta
Established Contributor

@SunriseEarth wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@14Fiesta wrote:

@Themanwhocan wrote:

Hmm, the categories seem a bit different.

For example, the clothing Stores category lists only 13 stores, and states that only those stores are included. 

Bookstores category specifically includes Kindle now, but has no mention of regular Amazon. of course, it never mentioned amazon before... but since they now specifically mention kindle, the fact that they dont mention anything else amazonish seems strange.

There are 12 5% categories. Weren't there 15 before?

Did the cell phone category always mention qwest and centurylink? maybe i should try my centurylink dsl bill again...

I see what you are looking at, and it's confusing because the fine print below creates an argument in the wording:

"The entities listed above are merely examples of the type of companies and merchants that fall within each particular category"

And I will tell you too for Cash +, US Bank goes off the MCC codes, so as long as the clothing store you are shopping at is using the right MCC code, it will count towards the bonus cash back. 

It looks like that footnote apprears for all categories, whereas only Clothing is "select". with the aditional wording "Category does not include shoe stores or department stores (like Macy's and JCPenny®). This category includes only the merchants listed below"

It does sound like BCP/BCE "select department stores" and BC "select drug stores" but as you say, if they only use MCC with no additional processing, then all clothing stores should work.

IME, not all clothing stores worked for that, so I tend to believe that only those select few will work, which makes it not a great category.  

If I may ask, what stores were you shopping at that it didn't work?

EX FICO (AMEX): 728 (4/29/17) | TU FICO (Discover): 737 (4/7/17) | EQ FICO (Citi): 746 (3/28/17)
Message 25 of 37
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I haven't seen much discussion on this specific credit card on this board.

There has been a lot of discussion on the cash+ here.  If you're only looking at recenly active threads then don't overlook the historical threads.  If any site's search feature isn't working for you then try a site restricted Google search.  Even if you want just more recent threads you can date filter results with Google.  Here's an example relevant to this thread searcing this site:

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=US+Bank+cash%2B+site%3Aficoforums.myfico.com

@Anonymous wrote:

That's not bad, right? Any reason why more people don't have this card in their wallet? 

Bad/good are always highly subjective.  It's up to you to determine if any card suits your specific needs/wants.  If you have major spend in the 5% categories that doesn't drastically exceed the quarterly cap then it could be a good fit.

Some reasons why some aren't enchanted by it:  Frequent nerfing by US Bank.  It was difficult to get and those that didn't qualify for it  ended up with a lower tier card if they qualified for the lower card.  Again, mentioned in prior threads on the cash+.

I applied back when restaurants were a 5% category but that was nerfed and since then I haven't had any use for the card.

@Anonymous wrote:
I don't think Amazon is listed as a BookStore category? It lists Amazon KINDLE, but not overall Amazon purchases?

Include prior threads as part of your research.  Plenty get 5% on Amazon purchases that qualify and it's not just Kindle purchases.  However, IIRC the Prime Store card isn't as restrictive and doesn't have a cap.

@Anonymous wrote:
Based on the posts maybe I should pass..

Your decision should always be based on your analysis and your requirements.  Don't just follow the herd.  I don't care for it but it I have no use for it.  However, it can certainly be a good fit for others.

@Anonymous wrote:
Y'all are right. Some decent 5% categories and 2% categories to choose from. The fact that it's 5+2+1 is what really made it shine brighter than the Discover & Freedom card..

Aside from nerfing the categories really don't seem to change all that much.  While the categoies can change, I've found that for the most part I can generally select the same categories every quarter.

Message 26 of 37
kdm31091
Super Contributor

I think the card is not a bad card and it fills a niche for certain 5% categories that are unattainable elsewhere. Do I think it's a card most people need to rush out and get? Probably not because many of the 5% categories are more "things you buy sometimes" vs "everyday spending". People aren't typically buying furniture, computers, or sporting goods every day, so some of the categories aren't going to see much use.

Some of the remaning ones are broader, such as fast food and bookstores, but it really comes down to you and your spend. Ignore what's popular and don't just follow people like takeshi mentioned. When people do that they end up with cards they thought would be great that sit in a drawer.

The only other relatively small downside to Cash+ is that there is no option to recieve a check or direct deposit of the funds (unless you bank with them). Rewards are statement credit or Visa gift card only. Won't bother some, but if you like to put all the cash in one specific account, you can't do that easily with this card.

Message 27 of 37
noobody
Established Contributor

If you an apple fan, Apple physical store is under electronic category.
I am not sure about apple.com, as I haven't used my card there.
EX819 1HP|TU797 1HP| EQ(Fico8 BankCard)841
Message 28 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

All good responses.. thanks!

The electronics category does seem cool. It includes many major electronics merchants such as Best Buy, Frys, Newegg, Apple etc..
Message 29 of 37
galahad15
Valued Contributor

I recently obtained a Cash+ card, and although it has only a $500 CL atm, I am quite fond of it already -- my 5% categories are cell phones and fast food, and my 2% category is restaurants.  Comes in very handy when paying the monthly phone bill and for the fast food places I frequent.

Message 30 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.