Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

U.S. Bank Cash+™ Visa Signature® Credit Card

tag
Involver
Valued Contributor

Re: U.S. Bank Cash+™ Visa Signature® Credit Card

This card has never left my wallet since I got it two years ago.  I've used it exclusively for recurring monthly bills (gym / cellphone) and have made hundreds of dollars in cash back in the process.  Who doesn't like free money for paying bills?  

Message 31 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

^ Good point. There was even a thread on here not too long ago discussing the coolness of a card where you get the majority of cash on bills!
Message 32 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

@14Fiesta wrote:

@SunriseEarth wrote:

IME, not all clothing stores worked for that, so I tend to believe that only those select few will work, which makes it not a great category.  

If I may ask, what stores were you shopping at that it didn't work?

The Clothing Store category is not defined by MCC.  It is restricted to the listed vendors.  I know this because my wife shopped at Anthropologie and did not receive the bonus.  I looked up the MCC for that Anthropologie store:

CLOTHING / SHOES / ACCESSORIES / UNIFORMS - 5651

That's the same MCC that Aeropostale uses, and Aeropostale was on the list of included vendors.  When I pointed this out to customer support, they replied:

"To earn 5% on Select Clothing Store purchases, the purchase is based on the merchant name not how they are classified."

Message 33 of 37
kdm31091
Super Contributor

I think it's silly that they only allow specific clothing stores. You pay out 5% on clothing stores, it should be 5% on anything that is a clothing store according to MCC, not just what you feel like paying out on.

I mean, I get they don't want people using it for expensive clothing stores, but the 5% is capped anyway. I don't see the big deal. There is a max payout.

Also stupid is the fact that "restaurants" and "fast food" are separate.

Message 34 of 37
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@kdm31091 wrote:

I think it's silly that they only allow specific clothing stores. You pay out 5% on clothing stores, it should be 5% on anything that is a clothing store according to MCC, not just what you feel like paying out on.

I mean, I get they don't want people using it for expensive clothing stores, but the 5% is capped anyway. I don't see the big deal. There is a max payout.

Also stupid is the fact that "restaurants" and "fast food" are separate.

The Clothing Stores option is a terrible one, so I don't choose that one.    And yes, it's unfortunate that not all dining is included in either Fast Food or Restaurants.   These days, I'll just use Marvel MC if I'm unsure if a place is Fast Food or not.   Also, Marvel's dining includes Bars/Cafes and Catering, so that comes in handy.

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 35 of 37
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@14Fiesta wrote:

@SunriseEarth wrote:

IME, not all clothing stores worked for that, so I tend to believe that only those select few will work, which makes it not a great category.  

If I may ask, what stores were you shopping at that it didn't work?

The Clothing Store category is not defined by MCC.  It is restricted to the listed vendors.  I know this because my wife shopped at Anthropologie and did not receive the bonus.  I looked up the MCC for that Anthropologie store:

CLOTHING / SHOES / ACCESSORIES / UNIFORMS - 5651

That's the same MCC that Aeropostale uses, and Aeropostale was on the list of included vendors.  When I pointed this out to customer support, they replied:

"To earn 5% on Select Clothing Store purchases, the purchase is based on the merchant name not how they are classified."

The key is in the category name "Select".   While most things are MCC based, issuers have exceptions, OBC drug store category is another, only 4 drug stores count. and Chase Freedom sometimes names specific merchants rather than categories.   I don't know if US BAnk has some revenue-share arrangement with those stores, as I assume Freedom does when it has specific merchants.

Message 36 of 37
Schwartzinator
Frequent Contributor

I personally find this card immensly valuable for its electronics and bookstore category! Just wish the cap was higher than $2,000 a quarter.

Message 37 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.