Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

U.S. Bank Cash+ international fraud charge declined

tag
dmFICO8
Regular Contributor

U.S. Bank Cash+ international fraud charge declined

I got this new card for less than 2 months, mostly just paid my utilities bills online, and only used once "outside" in a restaurant a week ago. Today I received an alert message from U.S. Bank "Your card 1234 was declined for $61.23 at Ryanair." After I checked my email now, it shows the charge originated from United Kingdom and it is declined. My question is that should I call to change card number? I kinda like the card number cause last 8 digits are repeated itself like 12341234. Another concern is that they have my card data now, if they send the data to U.S. and use in U.S., it could cause another potential fraud problem. Is it worth the risk to keep the current card number?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: U.S. Bank Cash+ international fraud charge declined

@dmFICO8 wrote:

I got this new card for less than 2 months, mostly just paid my utilities bills online, and only used once "outside" in a restaurant a week ago. Today I received an alert message from U.S. Bank "Your card 1234 was declined for $61.23 at Ryanair." After I checked my email now, it shows the charge originated from United Kingdom and it is declined. My question is that should I call to change card number? I kinda like the card number cause last 8 digits are repeated itself like 12341234. Another concern is that they have my card data now, if they send the data to U.S. and use in U.S., it could cause another potential fraud problem. Is it worth the risk to keep the current card number?

Yes, I would call to get a new card / card number. I know how you feel about liking a number, but in this case it's not worth the hassle of dealing with more potential fraud. 

Message 2 of 5
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@dmFICO8 wrote:

Yes, worth changing unless it was a simple miskeying somehow.

Now if I had stolen credit card info, buying a ticket on Ryanair wouldn't come in the top 100,000 things to do!  Which is why there is a possibility it is a mistake,  but certainly better safe than sorry, even with a coveted card number

Message 3 of 5
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

Well, in my one & only experience with a stolen CC# was that they spread the CC#s around the dark web pretty fast. While I was work I got an email asking me to confirm I had used my CC for a purchase at a fireplace store in LA. Over the next few hours they attempted to use the card at a hotel in Kansas City, and then a hotel in Mumbai India. By the time I got off work to call in (can't make personal calls at work) Citi had already shut it down,

If you really don't want to close down that CC# just watch it closely today and see if there's any more attempts to use it.Airline purchases are not the usual stolen CC purchase, when you try to board the plane with that ticket they'll nail you.

Message 4 of 5
dmFICO8
Regular Contributor

I hate you guys, you make me lose one of my favorite card number! Just kidding.

Thanks for the replies guys. It was the only charge in the morning today, then nothing else, it could potentially be a mistake. But guess I would go the better-safe-than-sorry routine, as much as I like the card number, the potential hassle to deal with later probably not worth it, I made a call and a new card is sending out. Thanks again guys.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.