cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

U.S. Bank Changing 5% Categories – Dropping Charity & Adding Ground Transportation

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

U.S. Bank Changing 5% Categories – Dropping Charity & Adding Ground Transportation

http://www.doctorofcredit.com/u-s-bank-changing-5-categories-dropping-charity-adding-ground-transpor...

"Effective February 15, 2017, a new 5% Cash+ Category will be available: Ground Transportation featuring merchants such as Uber and Amtrak(R). Also effective February 15, 2017, the 5% Charity Category will no longer be available. Remember to register for your 5% and 2% categories to get MORE CASH BACK!"

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: U.S. Bank Changing 5% Categories – Dropping Charity & Adding Ground Transportation

Thanks for the heads-up, though it doesn't really affect me much. I very rarely use ground transportation for anything, and my charitable contributions always go on a different USBank card - the Travel Rewards FlexPerks card for effectively 6% cashback. But the fact that they're actually changing a category on this card makes me believe that maybe they really haven't forgotten that the card exists!

Chris.

Message 2 of 6
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Re: U.S. Bank Changing 5% Categories – Dropping Charity & Adding Ground Transportation

From what I have been reading most people think this is another Nerf..  I know charity includes alot of Vets, etc.. Possibly MS stuff as well (as why would you get upset with charity being gone as a 5%?) although not sure.  Not sure why they would get rid of it, but the majority of what I have read about it the people aren't to happy about it for whatever reason.  I must be missing something

Message 3 of 6
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

From what I have been reading most people think this is another Nerf..  I know charity includes alot of Vets, etc.. Possibly MS stuff as well (as why would you get upset with charity being gone as a 5%?) although not sure.  Not sure why they would get rid of it, but the majority of what I have read about it the people aren't to happy about it for whatever reason.  I must be missing something

It's annoying to me personally because of vets. I max out the rewards on two cards because of lots of vet visits.   But in general it suggests, to me, that there are still problems (from the bank's view) with the card.

Brief recap:

Card started out with the 5% uncapped, and included some "please abuse me" categories such as bill pay, home improvements and airlines

Once they realized their mistake, they did some heavy nerfing, all out once:

1) Cap the 5% rewards ($100 per quarter)

2) Remove the abuse categories

3) Remove banking enhancements (extra rewards for having a bank account with them, with various levels)

4) Later: make the bonus for redeeming $100 once in a lifetime rather than every time.

Then, over time, they have continued to remove popular categories, most notably restaurants recently.   Now Charity.

I would have thought the nerfinf should be enough, but obviously they want people to be less able to hit the $2K spend a quarter and so are moving it to less popular or expensive categories.   I would expect Cell Phone and Bookstores to be next.

Message 4 of 6
kdm31091
Super Contributor

I'd also expect cell phone and bookstores to be next. Over time they have definitely tried to aim for categories where many people won't routinely spend a lot of money.
Message 5 of 6
galahad15
Valued Contributor

Thank you for the helpful and valuable FYI jfriend! 

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.