Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

U.S. Bank credit card?

tag
2NE1
Established Contributor

Re: U.S. Bank credit card?

@pakman92 wrote:
besides, amount of delta miles required for travel to korea is signicantly larger than what korean air requires.  something like 125k vs 75k  if i remember correctly

how do the miles work? cause according from my location (east coast) to S. Korea it says that it is 6,953 miles (I got this off a Google searched website). Does this # count as flight miles? because according to this U.S. Bank KoreanAir secure card, it says that by opening the CC you automatically get 5,000 miles... does this mean that I would only have to spend about $1953 in order to get the total miles I need in exchange of a free flight ticket? Smiley Surprised

Message 11 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@pakman92 wrote:

@2NE1 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

You can try for Delta or an Amex that transfers to Delta as KA is in the Sky Team alliance. Delta is currently having a 40K points offer. If you want naitive rewards, the card above is your best bet.

I know for a fact that Amex won't approve me for a CC with my scores Smiley Sad

besides, amount of delta miles required for travel to korea is signicantly larger than what korean air requires.  something like 125k vs 75k  if i remember correctly

You wouldnt use skymiles. You would transfer to KA.

Message 12 of 16
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

@2NE1 wrote:

@pakman92 wrote:

how do the miles work? cause according from my location (east coast) to S. Korea it says that it is 6,953 miles (I got this off a Google searched website). Does this # count as flight miles? because according to this U.S. Bank KoreanAir secure card, it says that by opening the CC you automatically get 5,000 miles... does this mean that I would only have to spend about $1953 in order to get the total miles I need in exchange of a free flight ticket? Smiley Surprised

It does not work like that. 1 mile does not equal to 1 dollar. No way a flight to SK is going to cost $6953! And no way redeeming a ticket to SK costs only 6953 miles!

An economy class between New York to Incheon costs around $1.5K. Do some research at Orbitz, Expedia, and other travel agency.

For example, just upgrading from Economy class to Prestige class between SK to NA costs you 60K to 120K miles (depending on season).

http://www.koreanair.com/local/na/gd/eng/sp/rm/eng_sp_rm_ka04.jsp

From the sound of it, you are not a frequent traveler. That usually means miles program is not for you.

Message 13 of 16
2NE1
Established Contributor

@trumpet-205 wrote:

It does not work like that. 1 mile does not equal to 1 dollar. No way a flight to SK is going to cost $6953! And no way redeeming a ticket to SK costs only 6953 miles!

An economy class between New York to Incheon costs around $1.5K. Do some research at Orbitz, Expedia, and other travel agency.

For example, just upgrading from Economy class to Prestige class between SK to NA costs you 60K to 120K miles (depending on season).

http://www.koreanair.com/local/na/gd/eng/sp/rm/eng_sp_rm_ka04.jsp

From the sound of it, you are not a frequent traveler. That usually means miles program is not for you.

I know I'm not a frequet flyer..... but I'd like to start now... I have a close friend that has moved there and would like to visit that person as often as I can without wasting money, you know? would you suggest any other way where I can BENEFIT from flying back and forth from S. Korea??

Message 14 of 16
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

Because your credit score is low, your option is very limited. I don't travel with Korean Air, so I have no idea how much miles it needs. I imagine a lot of miles, because you are redeeming $1.5K worth of ticket.

How is your income? Perhaps you can call Capital One and ask them if they are willing to issue $2K of credit for its Newcomers Credit Card (which yields 2% cashback on travel purchases). A plus side on Capital One is that it does not have foreign exchange fee, so you can use it internationally without paying extra fee. Those Skypass CCs from US Bank will charge 3% for foreign exchange fee.

Your priority should be getting those baddies off your reports. Dispute it, send a good will letter, negotiate it, etc. Getting them off would be much better for your score and opens up better possibilities.

Message 15 of 16
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@trumpet-205 wrote:

Because your credit score is low, your option is very limited. I don't travel with Korean Air, so I have no idea how much miles it needs. I imagine a lot of miles, because you are redeeming $1.5K worth of ticket.

+1. Your options really are limited. In terms of free flights, you need 70,000 miles per round-trip during their off-season, and 105,000 miles during their peak season.

Given that 1 mile = $1 spent on the CC, you need to spend a minimum of $70,000 to get one free round-trip in coach. You also get 1 mile credited for every mile flown.

I have to agree with the previous poster. Frequent Flier programs are best for people with large annual spends and/or who fly regularly. Given you're looking at a secured card with your scores, $70,000 in spend is unreasonable. The best option for you would be to pay for tickets with cash as often as you can. You can get the CC and it will help, but probably not as much as you'd like unless you have lots of spending power.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.