Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

U.S. Bank pre approvals

tag
ttleigh
Regular Contributor

U.S. Bank pre approvals

I know Us bank is supposed to be difficult to impossible to get in with a bankruptcy, I've done their pre approvals in the past and it's only showed me the contour debit card but today I tried again and now it's showing me the debit card and 2 others. Does anyone know about their pre approvals and if they're any good? I do have my mortgage and a checking account through them so maybe?
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
ojefferyo
Valued Contributor

Re: U.S. Bank pre approvals

@ttleigh wrote:
I know Us bank is supposed to be difficult to impossible to get in with a bankruptcy, I've done their pre approvals in the past and it's only showed me the contour debit card but today I tried again and now it's showing me the debit card and 2 others. Does anyone know about their pre approvals and if they're any good? I do have my mortgage and a checking account through them so maybe?

I would say it's 50/50 since just about every application goes through manual review. I got a preapproval thing in the mail and it still went into manual review.

Amex Platinum, Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass, Chase Southwest Premier, Chase Marriott Rewards Premier, Discover IT, Sony Visa, Barclay Arrival+ MC, Cabela Visa, Walmart SC, Amazon SC, Kohls, Diners Club Premier, PayPal Credit, PenFed Platinum Reward Visa, PenFed PLOC, Chase Ritz Carlton, Citi TY Premier, Amex BCP, Discover Miles, Care Credit, Blue Nile SC, iComfort SC, Cap1 Venture, Chase Hyatt, Lowes, US Bank Cash+, Citi Costco Visa
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

ttleigh -

Same thing happened to me today! I decided to try their prequal, expecting the same ole Contour Debit Card recommendation, but, to my surprise,  I was recommended for their US Bank Cash Rewards Visa and their Kroger 123 Rewards Visa. 

Does anyone have any experience with US Bank prequal? Can I trust it? I certainly can't afford to waste an inquiry. If I'm discouraged to apply now, I'm definitely applying after some of my inquiries age off..

Thanks for any advice!

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

pretty solid if it lists a specific APR. But u may want to freeze your IBR or whatever it is that they pull in addition to the big three.

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

jfriend33 -

Thanks for the reply! May I ask what my IBR is and what does freezing it mean?

Message 5 of 8
ojefferyo
Valued Contributor

Freezing just means you lock it so noone can access it

Amex Platinum, Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass, Chase Southwest Premier, Chase Marriott Rewards Premier, Discover IT, Sony Visa, Barclay Arrival+ MC, Cabela Visa, Walmart SC, Amazon SC, Kohls, Diners Club Premier, PayPal Credit, PenFed Platinum Reward Visa, PenFed PLOC, Chase Ritz Carlton, Citi TY Premier, Amex BCP, Discover Miles, Care Credit, Blue Nile SC, iComfort SC, Cap1 Venture, Chase Hyatt, Lowes, US Bank Cash+, Citi Costco Visa
Message 6 of 8
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

@ttleigh wrote:

I would think that since you have an existing banking relationship as mentioned you're chances are pretty good but NOT on the online preapproval page. I would not trust that and here's why i say this.

I have a single card only with them and no banking with them whatsoever. All that ever came up or shows up now on their online prequaliy page are duds.

Now what i have determined from them from experience (being as they are ever so conservative) if you notice they SP your reports theres a chance they will mail you a bonified preapproval in the mail and THAT IS RELATIVELY SOLID!

Such as happened to me recently. They mailed out a preapproval with a stated 13.99 APR in Sept after a SP in August. It was for the FlexPerks Select+ Amex co-brand. I WAITED A LONG TIME FOR A BITE of anything from them over a year maybe, but there it was in full print and dated.

The problem was i had just wrapped up an app spree so there were plenty of numerous recent changes since the SP that spawned that preapproval so it was a no-brainer for me to leave it alone and not risk a denial and wasted HP. What i did make work out to my favor with it though was do a simple PC over to that card. Obviously missing out on the rare offer of a pretty decent APR 13.99 APR along with what likely would have been a long awaited higher limit from US Bank for a change.

So there's my experience with their preapprovals from US Bank if it can be of any use for anyone in the near term or later maybe.

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

My charge off is with them.

I was their banking customer 2007 to a few months ago.

While I was a banking customer, with scores in the low 500's, I would get mailed prequals and preapprovals on their website.

Now, my scores are higher, am no longer a banking customer, no mailed approvals and the prequal shows the Debit card.

Disclaimer:  I don't like them however the above statements are true.

Edit:  ducking iphone

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.