cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

U.S. Bank says I have 'excellent credit'...

tag
Scamp
Valued Contributor

U.S. Bank says I have 'excellent credit'...

...and me locked up in the CCUC!!!  Smiley Sad 
Got a 'pre-qualified' letter from them today.  0% on purchases for a year, 3.99% on BT's 'til 2013.  No annual fee (provided I make at least one purchase a year with the card).  12.15% on purchases AND BT's after the promo periods end. 
I guess maybe they're not as primo as they once were, based on some previous posts I've read about them on here, but - sheesh, I never expected to get a pre-app letter from a creditor like them until I was at least solidly in the 700's across the board (do have TU at 726 at the mo.  Others were in the 680's or 690's, last time I checked, a month or two ago) and had a much longer history!  Smiley Surprised
*sigh*  Smiley Sad
Message Edited by Scamp on 02-02-2009 01:47 PM

02/12/09 EX: 701 / 02/08/10 EQ: 719 / 02/08/10 TU: 723

Backdoor Numbers, Credit Scoring 101, Understanding Your FICO Score PDF
Message 1 of 102
101 REPLIES 101
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

Re: U.S. Bank says I have 'excellent credit'...

Awesome! One day I'll know the joy of preapprovals. I have a fairly clean set of CRs but I get nothing. And I'm not opted out or whatever it is.

I don't care to apply, I just want them for the glory.
Here we go again...
Message 2 of 102
Scamp
Valued Contributor

Anyone know if they're worth tunnelling out of the Center for?  Generous initial CL's or anything else like that...?  Did a couple searches on here and didn't turn up much.

I wouldn't mind having somebody give me my first 5-figure initial CL, make BofA sit up and take notice and not be so smug in being my highest-CL cc. Smiley Wink Smiley Very Happy

Message 3 of 102
Anonymous
Not applicable

Scamp wrote:
Anyone know if they're worth tunnelling out of the Center for?  Generous initial CL's or anything else like that...?  Did a couple searches on here and didn't turn up much.
I wouldn't mind having somebody give me my first 5-figure initial CL, make BofA sit up and take notice and not be so smug in being my highest-CL cc. Smiley Wink Smiley Very Happy

I've never gotten that preapproval, but I believe I've seen one just like it.  If it's the same one I've seen, I don't think it's a rewards card, is it?
It might be good for a low APR if you need to carry a balance for a while, but otherwise, eh. Smiley Happy  JMO!  (Honestly, if US Bank thought I was worthy of a preapproval, I'd probably be pretty excited about it.)
Message Edited by Scamp on 02-02-2009 01:48 PM
Message 4 of 102
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hmmm, my husband got that offer, I think - it was for some sort of Platinum card (no rewards) but the length of the 0% BT rate was awesome.

Shame that it was me who they chose to tell about the offer - they thought it was for ME (our names are rather similar, let's say, and we have a joint checking account with US Bank) - I was rather confused as it came about a week after they'd un-secured my previously secured card, and given me a rather underwhelming and dull card product in its stead.

After doing the whole 'this is the coolest offer EVER!!!' thing at me, and enthusing at great length about how I was preapproved and so should therefore DEFINITELY go for it, they couldn't find the 'accept' button on my account info... not surprising, as the offer turned out to be for my husband (the lady from the bank called me rather sheepishly hours later to say they'd figured out that it was my husband getting the offer, not me - hm, he has lower scores but much longer history - oh, and he's also carrying a big enough balance on a CC that would make the 0% BT offer worth it - maybe that's what they look for when scouring credit profiles). I did tell the husband about this rather cool offer, but he just went 'hm' and that was all the interest he showed. Oh well!

Ummm, my point? I forget. The 0% sounded fantastic - and when I told the bank ladies about my recent un-securing of the secured card, they said I should call and ask for something more interesting. I did so... apparently I have to wait until I've had the boring 'classic' (ie like a Platinum but even more dull) card for three months, then I can call back and ask to switch to something more exciting. They do have a (1%) cashback card, and some kind of frequent flyer miles card (with NWA, I think)... but if it means a hard pull, I'm not asking for nothin' - gimme a preapproval, and I might just consider it!

Message Edited by fevmlo on 07-28-2008 11:20 PM
Message 5 of 102
Scamp
Valued Contributor

cheddar wrote:
I've never gotten that preapproval, but I believe I've seen one just like it.  If it's the same one I've seen, I don't think it's a rewards card, is it?

It might be good for a low APR if you need to carry a balance for a while, but otherwise, eh. Smiley Happy  JMO!  (Honestly, if US Bank thought I was worthy of a preapproval, I'd probably be pretty excited about it.)

Nope, not a rewards card - nothing in that regard to tempt.  I'm doing okay with my 0%/12 mo. BT deal from BofA, so not even any temptation there.  Slight temptation from the initial 0% on purchases, but not much.

It's mostly the 'I am worthy?!' prestige/validation factor that has me eyeing my dinner spoon here in the Center and contemplating what material the floors are likely made of (anybody got a Soils Report on the ground under the Center handy?) - that and I could swear I've read on here that US Bank leans toward pretty high initial CL's if you have a decent CL with another creditor that they'd like to outdo (but couldn't confirm that via a search for them, so maybe I'm mixing them up with some other CCC).  Thought maybe other members could verify or debunk that...

Probably AmEx's piddlin' $1K CL on my newish Blue and recent denial of my 60-day CLI request due to my 'too many' ONE inq on the report they pulled and short credit history is bugging me, and part of me would love to score a prime card like this with a big ole initial CL to 'show them'. Smiley Wink

That, and another cc, especially if it comes with a 5-figure CL, DOES tend to quickly lower one's overall util! Smiley Very Happy

*pokes experimentally at cell floor with spoon* 

Message 6 of 102
Anonymous
Not applicable

Scamp wrote:
*pokes experimentally at cell floor with spoon* 

Psst....take it from an escapee.  The A/C ducts are the way to go. Smiley Wink
Seriously, though, if you're in the Center for a reason, I wouldn't think this card would be reason enough to break out.  You can still have the satisfaction of knowing you got a preapproval even if you don't get the card!
It sounds like you already have everything this card could offer except for a potential 5-figure CL.  That's such a crapshoot, though.  What if you apply and get something like $7K?  Would you still be happy you applied?
Again, JMO, and just food for thought. Smiley Happy
Message Edited by Scamp on 02-02-2009 01:54 PM
Message 7 of 102
Scamp
Valued Contributor

cheddar wrote:

Smiley Very Happy  I'll try them if the tunnel thing doesn't work.  Was avoiding them because the wardens have been watching them more closely since a certain Mod snuck out to grab a Citi Plat AmEx. Smiley Tongue  You owe everyone in the Center drinks at that fancy-schmancy airport lounge, for that! Smiley Wink

cheddar wrote:

Seriously, though, if you're in the Center for a reason, I wouldn't think this card would be reason enough to break out.  You can still have the satisfaction of knowing you got a preapproval even if you don't get the card!

It sounds like you already have everything this card could offer except for a potential 5-figure CL.  That's such a crapshoot, though.  What if you apply and get something like $7K?  Would you still be happy you applied?

Again, JMO, and just food for thought. Smiley Happy

Wise food for thought for me to chew on, Cheddar.  Smiley Wink  Thanks.

I checked in to the Center to sit out my waiting period to de-Egyptianize sufficiently for the PenFed Cash card, but this pre-approval HAS given me a few speculative second thoughts, as has the possibility of PCing my BofA Plat Plus Americard to their new Cash Back AmEx...

And as $7K on my BT'd BofA Rewards AmEx is my highest CL so far, yup - a $7K (or even $5K) initial CL probably would make me happy and do my util a heckuva lot of good in one go!

Message 8 of 102
Scamp
Valued Contributor

So far, am still in the Center - any US Bank cc holders out there who can tell me how they are with initial CL's...?

Thanks for any feedback! Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 102
Anonymous
Not applicable

Scamp wrote:

cheddar wrote:

Smiley Very Happy  I'll try them if the tunnel thing doesn't work.  Was avoiding them because the wardens have been watching them more closely since a certain Mod snuck out to grab a Citi Plat AmEx. Smiley Tongue  You owe everyone in the Center drinks at that fancy-schmancy airport lounge, for that! Smiley Wink

Delta Crown Room.  JFK.  Be there! Smiley Happy

Scamp wrote:
And as $7K on my BT'd BofA Rewards AmEx is my highest CL so far, yup - a $7K (or even $5K) initial CL probably would make me happy and do my util a heckuva lot of good in one go!

Well there you go then.  Looks like you've answered your own question!
BTW, LOL @ 'de-Egyptianize'.  I think you've just coined a new term.
Message Edited by Scamp on 02-02-2009 01:56 PM
Message 10 of 102
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.