Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UGH stupid freakin AMEX!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

UGH stupid freakin AMEX!

It seems like they just do not want to let me in!!!!

I have apped with them 3 times previously and declined!!!!

I asked my grandad to add me to his AMEX (Costco) and he called them - their response was: "He has to be a member of Costco" for me to be even added to his AMEX. He has a 10K CL with the card being more than 15 yrs old. UGH, I do not even use Costco and now have to spend $50 a year just to get his "member since" date. So frustrating...

UGH!

Worth it??

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: UGH stupid freakin AMEX!

I think he can just add you on the website.... Don't know if you have to be a member of costco I havent heard that. 

I'm asking my brother to add me on his 5 year old costco amex so let us know what the outcome is.

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I called AMEX and asked two different people, they both confirmed that inorder to be added as an AU on his TruEarnings Costco Amex, I have to have my own Costco membership... I may just fork over the $50 for this year and not renew the membership next year... hopefully this should help bring my AAOA forward... applied for and got 6 new accounts, which is lowering my AAOA incredibly (1 year nowSmiley Mad ) and if I can in on his, maybe that can go upto like 2 years and if I get the Zync, get it up to 3 years.

Anyway, he said, he can add me on his discover, has had it for like 25+ yrs - its his fav card with pristine history... anyone think I should ask him to add me on there? Will it help?

Message 3 of 9
hemi961
Regular Contributor

The way the American Express website explains it is that you have to be a member on HIS Costco account. Unless he has already added someone to his Costco account, he is allowed to get a Costco card in your name at no additional cost.  At that point, you can be added to the Amex card as an AU.  However, if there is already another Costco card issued to someone else on his account, I don't know that you can get the Amex card.  I'm not an expert on the subject by any means but I do have the card and that is the way I understand it to be. 

"In order to apply, the Additional Cardmember must be listed on your current Costco membership and be 18 years or older".  This is the quote directly from the website, so it doesn't look like you could get your own Costco membership and then be added to his Amex card. 

Message 4 of 9
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

MyFicoAddict wrote:"
He has to be a member of Costco"

Yes, I can confirm that. I was added to DW's TrueEarnings account just the other day, and they needed my Costco card number, which is different from DW's. We're on the same Costco account though and can share it because it's the same household. So that's how it works. I think Amex is quite reasonable about the whole thing.

Now you have to eat your words. Smiley SurprisedSmiley TongueSmiley Very Happy

Message 5 of 9
CrdtLrnr
New Contributor

Agreed.  If an additional member is not on the primary Costco member's account, you can be added to the primary member's account.  Then you'll have a Costco account number and can be added as an AU on the AMEX Costco.  Just did this with a family member two weeks ago.

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks everyone for your reply...

I am thinking about just forking over the $50.00 and as long as I can get a costco membership and his 15 yr pristine history I guess that would be worth it..

Anyway, I was also thinking... one of my buddies has a business account with them and I read on Costco's website that they can request upto 6 cards - if I ask him to add me as a member on his, would that work? Or would they require I have my own membership?

Thanks...

Message 7 of 9
hemi961
Regular Contributor

The way I understand it, you cannot walk into Costco, drop $50 on your own personal membership and be added as an AU on either your grandfather's or your friend's Amex card.  The only way is to have them add you to their existing Costco account which would get you a Costco membership card.  However, if your grandfather has already added someone to his account, you are out of luck there since household accounts can only add one person.  If he hasn't, he can do that from Costco's website and there is no charge. 

Your friend can have additional cards on his business membership at $40 each for up to 6.  Again, I think he would have to add you to his account, you couldn't go into Costco and get your own membership and be added to his Amex card.

The question then becomes, how much does this accomplish?  Since he is your friend, there is a chance that your AU status might not even be figured into your credit reports and therefore your AAofA would not increase.  There is also a chance that even your grandfather's account age might not help.  I am an AU on one of my wife's cards and about 6 or 7 months ago they stopped reporting to EQ.  Experian and TU still report it at least for now. 

I'd say the best bet is to be added to your grandfather's Costco account if possible, but if there isn't an open slot you might try your friends account.  Hopefully you will derive some benefit from it.

Message 8 of 9
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

@CrdtLrnr wrote:

Agreed.  If an additional member is not on the primary Costco member's account, you can be added to the primary member's account.  Then you'll have a Costco account number and can be added as an AU on the AMEX Costco.  Just did this with a family member two weeks ago.

Our situation has a twist to it. I happen to be the primary member of our Costco account (we flip a coin when a joint option isn't available). DW was added as a member because she wanted the TrueEarnings card (3% on restaurants for lunches), which I didn't have. So an added Costco account member can get a TrueEarnings card with the account type of individual. Then I became AU on that account (due to the backdating from an old Amex card of hers, which far exceeds the Costco backdating by the way). In short, piggybacking has gone full circle!

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.