UGH... tried for a barclay bank card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: UGH... tried for a barclay bank card

Successful recon

Asked for income

length of time at job,

what my plans were to pay down my highest bal card, (its the only one with a bal of $1500.)

why was I late ( told her about being unemployed for half of 08 and that I haven't been late since)

what i wanted as a limit (said $1000. they gave me $990. Smiley Indifferent

how fast I planned on paying off the card when I used it, (within 6 months)

Message 11 of 32
Chickenpotpie
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Chickenpotpie wrote:

I called and it did not go well.

Called the recon number: w as told 2 things about their decision.

The card I have should be over 6 months to a year and I have 5 inquiries on my credit report. (thats crazy, for TU I only saw one!)

Then she said that also because the BK is still there,  I wouldn't be eligible until it dropped off.

Also something else.  They do not take student loans and /or car payments into account. They only take CC's into account.  I have one.  They said it was too new (I 've had it since June)

So anyway,  thats the breaks.  I'll have to see what the heck those other inquiries are and try to get them off my report.  The other thing is that I will probably just NOT apply anywhere else.  I have a great income, no baddies since 2004, but I guess I'm just an unlucky chicken.

-CPP

When you attempt a recon with Barclays they often pull an EX as well to give you further consideration. Perhaps that's where those inquiries are that she mentioned.

Thanks Jaystay, I didn't know that.   However, when I initially applied for the card one of the reasons that they gave for denial was number of inquries too.  Could it be possible they pulled EX as well as TU?  I don't know why I would have 5 for EX either TBH, I have to check into this.

As far as my BK, One of the reasons I went ahead and took the hit was on here its said they're BK friendly.  Not according to the conversation I had though.  The file havve right now is a little thin, but still, no baddies.

And there's my income which is verifyable too.

However, the lady on the phone was nice but very firm in her decision. 

You know, I've been without a card for this long, a little longer probably isn't such a bad thing TBH.  And this card that I have, I'll just let mature.  Granted its only 500 bucks which really is terrible considering that I travel and all but thats the breaks... Things happen for a reason.

I'm just frustrated by it all.

-CPP

Message 12 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Chickenpotpie wrote:

As far as my BK, One of the reasons I went ahead and took the hit was on here its said they're BK friendly.  Not according to the conversation I had though.   

You know it's great that you're sharing info, even though I'm sure you're totally frustrated.

For others reading this thread and wondering if Barclay IS BK friendly, I'll add that the Barclay Juniper card is.

They sent me (and DH) several pre-approvals about six months after discharge of CH 13.  I opened mine w/ $1000 CL, I think.  Less than a year later its at $2,700.  So, even if Barclays Bank card is not BK friendly, their Juni card definitely is.

Thanks for posting everything CPP, and best wishes to you.  It'll all be good!

Message 13 of 32
bostonte
Frequent Contributor

I think it's your thin file (no reestablished CCs since BK) more than anything else.

My bankruptcy discharged in 09/09. I applied for Barclay's Apple card in 12/09 and was declined. When I called for recon I was told they wouldn't be able to approve until "quite some time" had passed from the BK and I had shown reestablished credit.

I applied in 03/10 and received an instant approval for $1900.

By 03/10 my post-BK cards were hitting 6 months and I think that was enough to make them not count as "new" and start counting towards reestablished history.

I would try again once your new card hits 6 months of positive reported history.

Message 14 of 32
Chickenpotpie
Frequent Contributor

Thanks a lot  all, talking it out does help. If it does help someone then great.    bostonte, I don't doubt your're right  because though my BK was discharged in 2003, I pretty much shied away from credit and worked on getting myself straight  where money was concerned, (plus I went back to school, blah blah blah, a litany of stuff).   I really had not assumed it would be this hard. 

I would have assumed they would take the other stuff in my file into consideration but if the file is thin, that seems like its a no.

So I'm disappointed, though its not the end of the world really.  It could make a whole lot of things easier though having another card though (I travel a lot).

Luckily my partner has been very supportive though all this,  he's got a scores in the 800's.  I didn't want to be an AU on his card because I'd rather do this on my own but I guess thats whats going to have to happen.

I think I'm going to lock down my CR's.

BTW, I won't pull  his scores down if  I'm an AU will I?  I just want to be sure about this.

-CPP

Message 15 of 32
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

no being auth on his card will not effect him at all but could do wonders for you!

Message 16 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

No. It just showed up.

Message 17 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

CPP, you really should look into credit unions. I've gone from $0 to $15k worth of revolving credit in less than a year and my scores aren't great. It all started with a $100 BBRZ card too... Smiley Happy

Message 18 of 32
Chickenpotpie
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

CPP, you really should look into credit unions. I've gone from $0 to $15k worth of revolving credit in less than a year and my scores aren't great. It all started with a $100 BBRZ card too... Smiley Happy

I've looked to see what I'm qualified for as far as credit unions in my area.  ugh...its painful.  quite a few of them have strict guidlines for membership.  I do have a penfed account (turned down for a cc though)  I think for now though I'll wait it out.   I've been quite amazed to find out that some CR's in my area don't even have websites Smiley Surprised

If you don't mind can you tell me which one you started with? 

-CPP

Message 19 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Chickenpotpie wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I've looked to see what I'm qualified for as far as credit unions in my area.  ugh...its painful.  quite a few of them have strict guidlines for membership.  I do have a penfed account (turned down for a cc though)  I think for now though I'll wait it out.   I've been quite amazed to find out that some CR's in my area don't even have websites Smiley Surprised

If you don't mind can you tell me which one you started with? 

-CPP

A local one that I found here, call around and find a friendly one:

http://creditunionaccess.com/

I later added Alliant and Navy. I recently added PenFed as well, but that's for future use when my reports are clean. Smiley Happy

Message 20 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.