Established Member
Jason-mou2

Re: UGH... tried for a barclay bank card

Op, dont feel too bad, youre not alone. I apped for a Barnes and Noble Barclay card and got denied due to recent open accounts, high util (30%) and low overall credit limits.  I called for a recon the next day using a back door number and still got denied. The dude on the other end was nice enough but said they would want to see more established history out of me. I currently have about a year of open accounts with perfect pays and nothing prior due to medical collections hosing me for years.

It was really annoying given they pull TU which actually deleted every paid collections account I have so it sits at 690ish with only positive accounts. I thought it was my best chance to replace my $79 af $300 limit Orchard I just closed but I guess not.

The credit union thing really does seem to be the best option. I joined Bellco CU here in CO, apped for a card a few months ago and named my desired limit with them (1k) and got approved no problem. Meanwhile I cant get approved for a $500 Barclays? Ya, Im liking CUs more and more every day.

Starting Score: Exp FAKO 548 (7-2009) Tu ---- Eq FICO 615 (5-2010)
Current Score: Exp FICO 661 (10-2010 CU pull) Tu FICO 694 (9-2010) Eq FICO 652 (11-2010)
Goal Score: 700s

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Frequent Contributor
ficonightmare

Re: UGH... tried for a barclay bank card

[ Edited ]

Chickenpotpie- I think having your partner add you as an AU will help tremendously.

I'll tell ya why.

Two years ago my husband added me to two of his cards. One Citi, the other Chase. He has prefect credit, no lates, FICO over 800 and very high credit limits.

Me? HA! no CC's of my own and depending on which CRA's report you look at, either 3 baddies, or 2.

I finally decied to rebuild my credit July of 09. FICO at the time, in the 600's. First card I apped for was Barclays B&N card. I got it with a 2.5k limit.

after reading everything here, and thinking back- I may not have got it if it wasn't for my AU status.

So being an AU on 2 cards with an excellent history, helped.. ALOT...

For someone who's rebuilding-if they have the option to become an AU on a perfect card, I say go for it.

eta: When I say "option to become an AU on a perfect card" I mean a spoue, or parent. Not a perfect stranger.

Starting Score: 600s
Current Score: EQ 08 798 on 5/28/14, TU 792 on 5/27/4 via Barclay, EX 798 on 5/28/14
Goal Score: 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+