Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UNFCU Visa Elite

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

UNFCU Visa Elite

Since I might be ditching my Arrival+ at my next AF, I've been looking for something else with Chip&Pin.  Came across the UNFCU Visa Elite, anyone have some feedback on the card?

I took a quick look at their rewards categories, and the rates look terrible.  CB seems to be a better way to use the rewards.

I really do want to have at least 1 card with pin, preferably something with a decent reward program.  Probably not going to be a daily card (like Arrival+ is for me right now), but having it while I'm in Europe would make life easier.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: UNFCU Visa Elite

@Anonymous wrote:

Since I might be ditching my Arrival+ at my next AF, I've been looking for something else with Chip&Pin.  Came across the UNFCU Visa Elite, anyone have some feedback on the card?

I took a quick look at their rewards categories, and the rates look terrible.  CB seems to be a better way to use the rewards.

I really do want to have at least 1 card with pin, preferably something with a decent reward program.  Probably not going to be a daily card (like Arrival+ is for me right now), but having it while I'm in Europe would make life easier.

Chip and signature works fine in Europe though (as long as you're not trying to use a ticket machine). And even then, Visa changed their rules recently so that those ticket machines are required to accept signature-only cards starting July 1st, though I can't say how many actually met the deadline. If you want a PIN for that purpose, there are other cards without an AF that would meet your requirement. Off the top of my head, SDFCU and Andrews FCU have cards with a PIN on them and no FTF though Andrews' rewards program is even worse in that CB/statement credit isn't an option.

Basically it boils down to how much you value having PIN be preferred over signature for nearly every transaction you do with the card as well as some of the other perks like lounge access. Would you put enough spend on the card/use the lounges enough to justify the AF? Or possibly even do enough spend to make their 0% FTF card worthwhile? (UNFCU's other cards also prefer PIN over signature and have no AF but have a 1% FTF.)

FWIW if I didn't already have Diners Club I'd probably be seriously looking into the Elite. Cat Happy

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

From what I've read, and experienced (though not as bad as some of those stories) Sig then Pin just doesn't work in some places.  Without Pin first you sometimes end up with cash as the only option (in Belguim I had to do a, I'll just run down to the ATM, because it just wouldn't accept my card).  That's why I want a card with Pin first, UNFCU is the only one I've been able to find.

I'm thinking maybe the Azure would be better, I doubt I would use the lounge since I'd rather put paid tickets on something that gives 2x for travel.  Elite does give 2x on groceries (currently I have nothing with that as a bonus cat, but Arriva+/Venture work fine for that), other than that... I don't see anything great.  The 1% FTF basically cancels out the 1% CB, which I'm ok with.  Mainly looking at it as the card to have when the others don't work.

Any flaws in my thinking?  Getting an, effectively, no rewards card with no AF as a last restort for when the Chip&Sig fails me?

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

From what I've read, and experienced (though not as bad as some of those stories) Sig then Pin just doesn't work in some places.  Without Pin first you sometimes end up with cash as the only option (in Belguim I had to do a, I'll just run down to the ATM, because it just wouldn't accept my card).  That's why I want a card with Pin first, UNFCU is the only one I've been able to find.

I'm thinking maybe the Azure would be better, I doubt I would use the lounge since I'd rather put paid tickets on something that gives 2x for travel.  Elite does give 2x on groceries (currently I have nothing with that as a bonus cat, but Arriva+/Venture work fine for that), other than that... I don't see anything great.  The 1% FTF basically cancels out the 1% CB, which I'm ok with.  Mainly looking at it as the card to have when the others don't work.

Any flaws in my thinking?  Getting an, effectively, no rewards card with no AF as a last restort for when the Chip&Sig fails me?

The lounge access doesn't require you to have put the plane tickets on that card (at least, that's how it works for Diners Club). They swipe the card but you don't get charged unless you're bringing guests.

As a "when all else fails" card, the Azure would probably work well for you. Also consider the First Tech MasterCards, which will supposedly have PIN first though I don't think anyone's received those cards yet to confirm.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

The lounge access doesn't require you to have put the plane tickets on that card (at least, that's how it works for Diners Club). They swipe the card but you don't get charged unless you're bringing guests.

As a "when all else fails" card, the Azure would probably work well for you. Also consider the First Tech MasterCards, which will supposedly have PIN first though I don't think anyone's received those cards yet to confirm.

According to the terms you have to buy the ticket with the Elite card, but how that would actually work in reality.  But, the lounge access isn't too huge for me right now as I'm looking at getting the Ritz next year which should cover my lounge needs.

I think I'll go with the Azure, after I get the Ink.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.