cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[UPDATE] (1) Barclay card (3) Inquiries on same report but different dates?

tag
nenuco
Frequent Contributor

[UPDATE] (1) Barclay card (3) Inquiries on same report but different dates?

So in my last app spree I applied for 6 cards. One of them was a Barclay card, they pulled TU on 10/5/12. I got approved instantly. This morning 10/8/12 I got a Credit Alert telling me that Barclay had done another hard inquiry on the same Transunion. What's up with this. I'm pretty pissed... can they do this? If so why would they pull the same report?

UPDATE 10/08/12:

So I called the "executive" office... I was given different reasons behind the (3) inquiries. Basically they told me that (1) was done with the initial approval [perfectly fine] while the subsequent (2) were done automatically to see if I was "eligible" for a CLI. The Credit Analyst even had the audacity to say that it was done "for my own good". This is downright disgusting. To further the issue their website to create an account is still not working, and has no current time-frame of when it will be fixed.

These are the typical "sub-prime" practices that rank Barclays and Capital One so much lower than their prime counterparts. A simple sorry, or we'll help you find a solution would have changed my perspective. If I would have known this, I would have stayed as far away as possible from them. CS for me is the most essential part of any lender-customer relationship, more than rewards or any other points. I understand that sub-prime lenders can't compete with prime lenders in many aspects but CS should always be a key component companies strive own, as this is their direct connection with the customer. 

So I will quietly spend my $1,000 to get $200 bonus, and then I will sock drawer them regardless of any future CLI or any other benefits they may throw at me. Of course my story is subjective and could be different to yours so take it with a grain of salt, that being said: AVOID THEM IF YOU CAN!

Full on Garden Mode (•‿•)
Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
Ron1
Super Contributor

Re: (1) Barclay card (2) Inquiries on same report but different dates?

Yes, they can.  They might pull twice if they weren't sure. Barclays pulled twice last year. I still got denied for Apple's iTunes card.

Ron.

Message 2 of 19
nenuco
Frequent Contributor

It doesn't make logical sense to me that they would use TransUnion twice, instead of getting my Experian or Equifax. Had I known this card would cost me (2) inquiries I would have passed. Furthermore their online site is down, so I can't create an account. CS has no idea when the issue will be resolved... sigh 

Message 3 of 19
Ron1
Super Contributor

@nenuco wrote:

It doesn't make much logical sense to me that they would use TransUnion twice, instead of getting my Experian or Equifax. If I would have known this card would have cost me (2) inquiries I would have passed. Furthermore their online site is down, so I can't create an account. CS has no idea when the issue will be resolved... sigh 

They wanted to make sure they didn't approve your application by mistake.  I got denied after they pulled twice. It happens sometimes.  They might pulled twice when your score on the border line. By the way, Cap1 pulled all three. Last year, Bloomingdales pulled 4 times on TU, pulled 2 times on both EXP and EQ. I told them to remove it and they refused to do it. In your case, it wasn't too bad. By the way, did you get the card?

Ron.

Message 4 of 19
nenuco
Frequent Contributor

Boo!! Jaja yes I got it, instant approval for $2,500 which is below my average CL. I'm still a little grumpy over this Smiley Mad. I've never had this happen. It just seems so ridiculous. I didn't have to recon or anything. Furthermore I pay all my balances off and have relationships with good lenders. I find they did it because they could instead of any advantageous reasons. Cap 1 is even more ridiculous I personally don't find they have any cards that warrant 3 inquiries. I digress... life will go on. I just wanted to know if:

A) Are they entitled to do this?

B) Why would they pull the same report twice instead of another one (it has not changed in terms of score or inquiries.)

C) Can I have it removed?

Thanks again for the response Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 19
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

@nenuco wrote:

Boo!! Jaja yes I got it, instant approval for $2,500 which is below my average CL. I'm still a little grumpy over this Smiley Mad. I've never had this happen. It just seems so ridiculous. I didn't have to recon or anything. Furthermore I pay all my balances off and have relationships with good lenders. I find they did it because they could instead of any advantageous reasons. Cap 1 is even more ridiculous I personally don't find they have any cards that warrant 3 inquiries. I digress... life will go on. I just wanted to know if:

A) Are they entitled to do this?

B) Why would they pull the same report twice instead of another one (it has not changed in terms of score or inquiries.)

C) Can I have it removed?

Thanks again for the response Smiley Happy

its one extra inquiry. it wont kill you. 

a) yes they can pull as many times as they went when you hit i accept and they can pull my reports. (meaning if they wanted to they could pull all 3 multiple times) 

b)that's only a question the pandora's box could answer

c) usually the only way you can have an inquriy removed is if it was done in error or you never authorized them to do so. but you did when you applied. 

and lastly if you sat 2500 card way above your other limits i would be happy in that case and would glad to take 2 inq for that. 

amex pulled all three of my reports. (and some people don't even get their cards with that)

so what's done is done let it be. 

Current: Fico ScoresEQ~706 TU~719 EX 709 4/28/23

Inquiries (24 Months): EQ 0 TU 0 EX 0| Most Recent: A LONG WHILE
Over 12 Months:0

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000
Citizens Mastercard$7,000

Message 6 of 19
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

@Ron1 wrote:

@nenuco wrote:

It doesn't make much logical sense to me that they would use TransUnion twice, instead of getting my Experian or Equifax. If I would have known this card would have cost me (2) inquiries I would have passed. Furthermore their online site is down, so I can't create an account. CS has no idea when the issue will be resolved... sigh 

They wanted to make sure they didn't approve your application by mistake.  I got denied after they pulled twice. It happens sometimes.  They might pulled twice when your score on the border line. By the way, Cap1 pulled all three. Last year, Bloomingdales pulled 4 times on TU, pulled 2 times on both EXP and EQ. I told them to remove it and they refused to do it. In your case, it wasn't too bad. By the way, did you get the card?

Ron.

I know about the Cap1 thing will pulling all 3 but Bloomingdales pulled 8 (EIGHT!) HP on your various CRs?  Thats insane.  I would bring that to BBB.

Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 808 TU --- EX --- CK 804(FAKO-EX 821, EQ 823, TU 803)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 19
nenuco
Frequent Contributor

I still don't understand the logic behind pulling the same report. They pulled it on Friday, I had a 744 score and 6 inquiries. Then they pulled it again on Sunday, same score of 744 but 7 inquiries (due to +1 they added). Now I have 8 inquiries. Would it not make more sense to go with Equifax or Experian? I know (1) more inquiry will not kill me, and as pointed out people have seen worse. I guess this will be one of those unknowns... If only I had a certain set of skills to find this out....

Message 8 of 19
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

To make the two hps worth it... I have a suggestion...
Recon for a higher limit :-P.
Just say you wanna do a BT or make a big purchase. Barclay's did nice by me to give me a cli on recon from 1500 to 6500.
Lol
:-) best of luck!!

Oh! S'thing else... You can dispute inquiries, so you might try disputing that extra... Often times disputing something with a CRA is easier than trying to find the dang department of a bank that does the credit reporting to the bureaus!! Grrr
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 9 of 19
nenuco
Frequent Contributor

So now they have pulled another copy of the same TransUnion report. Making this a total of 3 hard pulls... regardless of the reasoning, I find this a disgusting practice. Barclay is not prestigious enough to warrant (3) pulls on the same account. All the above scenarios seem to have happened on the same day not multiple times in the subsequent days. Very disappointed with them to say the least.
Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.