cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

**UPDATE** Chase Sapphire - when to pull the trigger?

tag
jason86423
Frequent Contributor

Re: Chase Sapphire -- when to pull the trigger?

Give it a few days.  EX updates pretty quick, TU takes a good 3 or 4 days.  

You should be good to go next week with the updates

Message 11 of 19
mwm1212
Established Member

May be a dumb question, but where can I go to check the updated scores? I thought scores only generate once a month, can they be purchased elsewhere?

Discover More -- $7,000 l Chase Sapphire Preferred -- $8,500

FICO (EQ) -- 767
Message 12 of 19
jason86423
Frequent Contributor

you can true fico's daily if you want to spend the money at myfico.

you can also sign up for FAKO's at several places

you can check out creditkarma and creditsesame to name a few.  Both of these are free.

Creditkarma uses TU and credit sesame uses EX.  you can refresh the data on creditkarma daily where credit sesame updates once a month.  

Message 13 of 19
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@mwm1212 wrote:

May be a dumb question, but where can I go to check the updated scores? I thought scores only generate once a month, can they be purchased elsewhere?

There are two scores out there: FICOs and non-FICO scores (we call them FAKOs). You can get FAKO scores from anywhere and with an exception or two, lenders don't touch them or use them. Per FICO, there are a few place to get your FICO.

Outside of myFICO, you can only buy your EQ FICO from your lender or Equifax.com (only via www.equifax.com/myfico-products).

Outside of myFICO, you can only buy your TU FICO from your lender.

Finally, you can no longer buy your EX FICO from anywhere. Experian blocked consumer access to your FICO, though you can still get it from your lender. 

There are a couple of other areas to get your FICO. As a benefit or service, you can get your EQ FICO from places like Digital Credit Union, M&T Bank, and Unitus Credit Union. You can get your TU FICO from WalMart if you are a cardholder. And you can get your EX FICO from PA State Employees Credit Union. There are a couple of other places too.

Message 14 of 19
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@mwm1212 wrote:

Long time lurker, first time poster, thanks in advance!

I have been patiently waiting to apply for the Chase Sapphire (regular). Unsure of when I should go ahead and take a stab at it. Currently FICO shows EQ737 while other credit sites are showing TU733, EX715 and creditkarma at 733. I have a Discover which I pay the full balance every month as well as a Chase auto account that is paid as agreed with about 8K remaining. Through some research on this site (thankyou community for valuable information) I've found that's good, but you can still show high utilization on your reports. I have since corrected this and just paid balance in full before the statement closing date so Discover reports accordingly.

By doing this FICO simulator shows score estimated range to increase to 747-765. Should I wait another month for reports to update or pull the trigger now?  Not sure if it will make a difference in applying for this specific card. Should I apply now, not at all, or wait a while longer?

I would wait then apply.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 15 of 19
CS800
Super Contributor

I didnt know that the regular sapphire didnt have an AF; I would have gone for it. But on the rewards side, I prefer the cashback of the freedom.

Message 16 of 19
mwm1212
Established Member

So to update....... I still have not gotten any updates to my reports or scores. I did a little research and actually found that my report and scores have not changed or been updated since October 2011! I spoke to a chat agent through Discover and the rep confirmed that they report to the bureaus monthly at the statement closing date. I said this has not been the case and she seemed unsure as to why. I also sent a secure message to see if someone different could look into it further, but am yet to hear back. My Chase car loan has reported on time so it seems to be specific to Discover.

Unsure why this would be happening, has anyone else ever dealt with something like this?

FICO (EQ) -- 767
Message 17 of 19
mwm1212
Established Member

Re: Chase Sapphire -- when to pull the trigger? ** UPDATE **

Well I called Discover to do a off cycle credit report and my information was updated with the bereaus over the past couple of days. I applied for Sapphire (preferred version) today and was APPROVED!!!! Smiley Happy

I decided to go with the preferred version because of the bigger sign up bonus and to have some options after the first year. I will crunch some numbers to see if the AF is worth it, if not I'll just downgrade at the end of the year. I figured this would be the best approach. In any case they approved it for 6K to match my Discover limit and was approved instantly online. Not a bad second credit card, I think my third will be an AMEX of sorts, maybe in six months or so. Thanks to everyone for the help and information!

FICO (EQ) -- 767
Message 18 of 19
JusdoNit
Established Contributor

Re: Chase Sapphire -- when to pull the trigger? ** UPDATE **

Nice.  Very nice.  Nice

Starting Score: 722
Current Score: Now 687 what the hockey sticks...from a 784 (Aug 12 EX 751 EQ Fico)
Goal Score: 800

If your outGo is more than your INcome than your UpKeep will become your downFALL.

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.