Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UPDATE: Girl with 17 credit cards

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Girl with 17 credit cards

@darwin_wins wrote:
Obviously you think I am telling you to close cards, thinking you are over-spending, not paying everything off?

Well here something you should understand when I said what I said, I don't care if you have 50 cards or 500 cards. I was just trying to tell you why your score is low without telling you to close any card. I also don't care if you work for credit card department or not. When you asked the question, I honestly answered you by telling why your score is low by giving you numbers. I don't care enough to pass a judgement on the cards you have, why you have and what you do. I understand why you got mad in the first place and I didn't push you in that direction at all, all I said is we all come to learn something new here.

If you think I am being judgmental, I have nothing more to add other than good luck to you. Hope things work out the way you want with your score and cards.

Nope. It wasn't you so don't make it about you. I like your advice on not apping till my inquiries have fallen off. It was a general comment.

Message 41 of 99
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: UPDATE: Girl with 17 credit cards

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous@@

I'm curious....can you please provide CL's on your list of 17cards??? And brands/lender....

Can't see siggy, on mobile if you have one

I don't have any siggy. I wanted to know how to add them actually but no clue how too.

VS $1,000

Target $300

Walmart $6,000

Barclaycard $1,000

Lowes $ 7,000

Discover $1,000

Chase $500

BOA $1,000

GAP visa $2,600

Macy's amex $4,000

TJ maxx $3,000

Amazon $4,000

AE $3,000

Ann Taylor $3,500

Home depot $6,000

Ulta $1,500

Care credit $7,700

Message 42 of 99
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

... I want a collection of cards and I enjoy my collection so far.

It sounds like you view credit cards the way my 9 year old nephew views baseball cards; you basically see collecting them as a hobby.  If that's your thing that's fine, but you need to understand that the vast majority on this forum view that as being irresponsible to some degree.  Just because you aren't maxing them out and are paying them on time doesn't mean your hobby is responsible.  Everyone in this thread was just offering up friendly advice, but of course the advice is going to clash with what is seemingly a hobby for you since it's very rare on here to find those that share your POV.  I wish you luck on your quest to increase your credit card collection.

Message 43 of 99
joltdude
Senior Contributor

I know im one of the folks who the op takes issue with.....

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Store-Card-App-Spree-Want-to-outdo-17-CCs-with-toy-limi...

But no matter how many times you warn someone.. they will do what they want to do...

But sometimes folks have to make mistakes and hit ground zero before they will learn....

No different than a drug addict... they have to want to listen, and they have to want to take action or stop their destructive behavior..

Now that some of the reprocussions for the ops decisions are setting in... the remorse is setting in...

Hopefully.. this whole experience... much of it could have been prevented... is a learning experience. 

It could have been avoided.. and it could have been a soft lesson... instead its going to be learning via the school of hard knocks..

Trying to talk someone out of making some sizable mistakes and misteps is FSR.... but theres only so much respect one can give for self-harm..

Thats why iv given up on the OP and just hope they dont escalate..... 

And on the subject of closing... Yes its too late for "fixing" the AAoA without time.. its the multiple openings and quantity of cards that still can appear as a risk

regardless of your score... because youve attempted a lot of credit for a weak to thin CR in a really short period of time.. Its going to take at least a YEAR and i still think a bit of pruning would make you appear a bit less risky... Perhaps not now.. but nearer to the 1 year mark... esp if your trying for more prime cards..... But you probably wont listen to me, or any others on that.. hence why i really should just avoid your threads and let you royally screw up.

And Comenty and Sync still have time to AA you...

Good luck

-J

Message 44 of 99
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's quite a bit of Synchrony exposure @ 6+ cards (I'm not sure of all of them)

Message 45 of 99
Anonymous
Not applicable

😃<______!!!!!!NOIICE!!!!!!_______>😃

I see both sides here,you have some really good CC's in your wallet...I think the best advice here was to take more time garden ing/growing what you have.

Obviously,don't close anything you don't want closed. But most of what I'm reading on this post Will boost your score significantly and with that... would Come even higher CL's 😃

So far you are looking good... well wishes on your fico journey!!!!

Message 46 of 99
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

... I want a collection of cards and I enjoy my collection so far.

It sounds like you view credit cards the way my 9 year old nephew views baseball cards; you basically see collecting them as a hobby.  If that's your thing that's fine, but you need to understand that the vast majority on this forum view that as being irresponsible to some degree.  Just because you aren't maxing them out and are paying them on time doesn't mean your hobby is responsible.  Everyone in this thread was just offering up friendly advice, but of course the advice is going to clash with what is seemingly a hobby for you since it's very rare on here to find those that share your POV.  I wish you luck on your quest to increase your credit card collection.

It's not ALL that rare on here.  There are a few with ~100 cards and several with 50+     And, it is, to my mind, that once you get into that sort of number, there are strong hobby aspects to it.   After all, maximizing rewards (1% extra on a category you spend $30 a year) and "util padding" can only be part of the real justification after a certain point.

Message 47 of 99
sarge12
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey everyone,

It's been a little while since I've been on. I still have all 17 of my credit cards and it has been 2 ish months since I've applied to any credit cards. Lately, I've been busy with school so I don't feel the need to app but when I go on the approval forum, I just want to apply!! Anyways, my credit score has stayed the same, I've been paying my credit cards on time and sometimes I've struggled with realizing that credit card isn't free money! But don't worry, I've always held a balance that I can pay. Anyways, I'm hoping to get a best buy visa and american express card by the end of year once some of my inquiries have fallen off. But I guess my only question is, will my credit score continue to increase? My score ranges from 688-713 across all three scores and they are increasing oh so SLOWLY. I remember 5 months ago when I had no credit and my score jumped by a hundred and some points after I applied for my first few cards.

I will post this last thought for you to consider, but it is just based on my lifes journey. The most important reason for good credit is to obtain a home mortgage loan at the lowest possible rate. Thirty years of paying additional interest on a home loan is a long time. Now credit card issuers with their high interest are fairly liberal in their approvals, but that is not the case with mortgage lenders. Mortgage lenders go through your credit report with a fine tooth comb, espescially after the 2008 collapse with all the foreclosures. Having a high number of credit cards with high limits will look riskier to a mortgage lender. If you think you may wish to purchase a house with the lowest interest rates in the future, you may wish to ask a mortgage broker if having this many cards is going to be a problem. If it would be, you may find yourself better served to wait until you have a mortgage to get a high number of credit cards. Just something you should at least think about.

TU fico08=812 07/16/23
EX fico08=809 07/16/23
EQ fico09=812 07/16/23
EX fico09=821 07/16/23
EQ fico bankcard08=832 07/16/23
TU Fico Bankcard 08=840 07/16/23
EQ NG1 fico=802 04/17/21
EQ Resilience index score=58 03/09/21
Unknown score from EX=784 used by Cap1 07/10/20
Message 48 of 99
Anonymous
Not applicable

joltdude wrote: 

Good luck

-J

That will leave 5 cards.....maybe 6 (not sure who backs tj maxx). 

Good luck op! 

Message 49 of 99
joltdude
Senior Contributor

@Justagirl73 wrote:

joltdude wrote: 

Good luck

-J

That will leave 5 cards.....maybe 6 (not sure who backs tj maxx). 

Good luck op! 

The TJX Rewards® Credit Card and TJX Rewards® Platinum MasterCard® are issued by Synchrony Bank.  (TJMAX)

Message 50 of 99
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.