cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UPDATE: I want an AmEx that I'm not pre-qual'ed for; thoughts? advice?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I want an AmEx that I'm not pre-qual'ed for; thoughts? advice?

apply for what you want! revolvers are usually tougher but if your credit profile is good you should be good to go.

Message 11 of 46
RSCo
Established Contributor

@Sharingan wrote:

Although anecdotal evidence on these boards suggests that the American Express revolvers are harder to obtain than the charge cards, I would still think that a cold app would be successful. I once had 5 American Express cards (Zync, Platinum, BCE, SPG, EDP) at one point, and was never preapproved for any of them. Additionally, the only one I was ever instantly approved for was the EDP that I received in March. You will stand a very good chance if you can achieve >700 scores. Good luck when you decide to apply.

exactly my experience... oddly, i've never been pre-qaulified for any of the amex or chase cards but yet I've been approved instantly for all of them.. Have 4 Amex's and 3 Chase..

$30,500$18,500NPSL$15,000$10,000$25,000$32,000
Message 12 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

i had 640-650 when i got the ED, which has the same underwriting as the BCP/BCE. i haven't gotten any prequals either
Message 13 of 46
stellar
Established Contributor

Amex is pushing their charge cards.  Makes more money (they lost Costco and jet blue).  I cold apped BCE.  I think you would qualify for a revolver, but your SL might be lower.  I would wait till reports clean or util below 10% ( whatever is affecting your scores) for best deal.  The 3x CLI seems to be dependent on scores, and Amex isn't partial to store cards.  Just my experience.

What does that mean?

Message 14 of 46
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

IMHO you should wait.

And don't bother with the charge cards.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 15 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, everyone, for the responses. I have plenty of time to wait and see where my scores are at and revisit the idea.

@SouthJamaica I like that idea. Thank you.

@stellar I believe that means AmEx doesn't like store cards on your report.

Message 16 of 46
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Most welcome Smiley Happy

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 17 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks, everyone, for the responses. I have plenty of time to wait and see where my scores are at and revisit the idea.

@stellar I believe that means AmEx doesn't like store cards on your report.

I doubt they care.

Message 18 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

So I just checked the pre-qual site now and now it shows:

Green

Gold

Every Day (12.99% APR)

I thought I read somewhere the EveryDay and the Blue Cash cards have similar UW? Either way, I think it means I'm moving in the right direction if I'm qualifying for their revolvers now. Smiley Happy Smiley Happy Smiley Happy

Message 19 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

Miss Drums! I'm excited for you. I do have to say, though, I had 5 comenity cards all @ 250 limits when I was instantly approved fotr $1500 BCE. So they must not have too much of a negative predisposition towards them. Unless you consider $1500 a crap SL - which in my case, it was twice what I had in bank cards combined. 

Please keep us posted. For some reason I very much remember your big Cap One approvals and have paid close attention to you since. 

Message 20 of 46
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.