Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UPDATE: Sallie mae is nerfed

tag
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Re: UPDATE: Sallie mae is nerfed

Amazon store card. 5 percent amazon. Uncapped AFAIK.

It seems 5 percent with no fee on broad permanent categories just wont last for any issuer. It is what it is
Message 21 of 117
Anonymous
Not applicable

@slicemans wrote:
ok seriously.....what is a replacement card for 5% amazon? Majority of my sallie mae card iis spent there.

Amazon Store Card, Discover IT, Chase Freedom (rotate into it). 

Message 22 of 117
Open123
Super Contributor

@slicemans wrote:
ok seriously.....what is a replacement card for 5% amazon? Majority of my sallie mae card iis spent there.

During the rare occasions when I make a purchase, I just use Amazon GCs purchased from a supermarket with my EDP.

Message 23 of 117
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

@slicemans wrote:

As others have said, Amazon store card (and &^%*! that I cancelled mine before they went to the 5% rewards).

Although I'm also assuming it'll be a long while (if ever, knock wood) before Sallie gets nerfed for existing cardholders, my biggest concern is what to do about a grocery rewards card. Yes, I know everybody suggests the BCE or BCP, which is fine if you live someplace where the grocery stores take Amex. My local grocers don't and the nearest one that does is 30 miles away, too far for regular food buying. What else is out there with good grocery rewards?

Message 24 of 117
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Gunnar419 wrote:

@slicemans wrote:

As others have said, Amazon store card (and &^%*! that I cancelled mine before they went to the 5% rewards).

Although I'm also assuming it'll be a long while (if ever, knock wood) before Sallie gets nerfed for existing cardholders, my biggest concern is what to do about a grocery rewards card. Yes, I know everybody suggests the BCE or BCP, which is fine if you live someplace where the grocery stores take Amex. My local grocers don't and the nearest one that does is 30 miles away, too far for regular food buying. What else is out there with good grocery rewards?

I believe Bank of America Cash Rewards takes Wal-Mart and Target as grocery stores if I remember correctly.  Been a long time since I used it.  At 2% though it isn't any better than a double cash and is capped at 1500 per quarter.  3% gas as well but that goes into your 1500 cap. 

Message 25 of 117
kdm31091
Super Contributor

BOA cash will have the same grocery coding advantages as sallie, albeit its only 2 percent. Still, better than nothing
Message 26 of 117
steel_string
Regular Contributor

If this turns out to be real, the tricky part for me will be grocery. I don't want to switch to a more expensive grocery chain for BCP, etc. and taking a net loss, so it would likely end up being 2% on groceries once my It Miles double cash back ends. Gas and Amazon don't seem to be much of a problem, though.
Chase Sapphire Preferred ($24.005k), Fidelity VS ($17K), United MileagePlus Explorer ($17K), Chase Freedom ($15K), Chase Freedom Unlimited ($15K), AmEx Blue Cash ($12.5K), IHG One Rewards Premier ($6.1K), US Bank Cash+ ($5K)
Message 27 of 117
Anonymous
Not applicable

Honestly, I am not surprised by this.  About three months after I got my Travelocity Amex, they nerfed that one as well.  I can only assume that eventually I may be PC'd to something else... but in the meantime, I just keep using the card as I have always done.  Sad though... I know from lurking the Sallie Mae card was on a lot of peoples radar!

Message 28 of 117
Anonymous
Not applicable

@steel_string wrote:
If this turns out to be real, the tricky part for me will be grocery. I don't want to switch to a more expensive grocery chain for BCP, etc. and taking a net loss, so it would likely end up being 2% on groceries once my It Miles double cash back ends. Gas and Amazon don't seem to be much of a problem, though.

In addition to the rotating 5% categories 3% on gas is pretty easy to find on a majority of cards. 

Honestly with gas prices as low as they are in my area the gas is not a huge concern right now. 

Message 29 of 117
noobody
Established Contributor

US Bank Cash+ has 5% book store category,that is the reason i pass on SM
EX819 1HP|TU797 1HP| EQ(Fico8 BankCard)841
Message 30 of 117
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.