Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UPDATE: Should I....

tag
shorrttyycm1
Frequent Contributor

UPDATE: Should I....

So, ik this probably sounds stupid but i recently applied and was approved for the SallieMae Master card. Now I'm second guessing the move because i dnt know what effect the new account is going to have on my scores. Should've thought about it instead of applying but didn't. I want to apply for a mortgage in next 4 mnths or so and the fico simulator says a new account would drop me like 12 pts. Should I just say no thanks and not activate the card. If i don't activate it would it still show up on my reports? Wow, i really shoulda slept on the decision to app in the first place but i think i goofed.

UPDATE:  DAMN IT!!  Smiley Mad

The new account and inquires finally fit...

-14 TU

-12 EQ

=EXP Fako

I knew I would take a hit but it still kills me to see it.  Smiley Sad  How long do you think before I get my points back?

Starting Score: 530
3-2013Score: TU 680 EQ 683 EXP 679 FAKO
Current Score (lender pull): TU 693 EQ 649 EXP 699 Lender Pull
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 36
35 REPLIES 35
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

Re: Should I....

The account will likely show up no matter what you do at this point. Activating the card has no bearing on the account.

I say make the best of it and ride it out. The new account ding will go away after a few months, and in the meantime you can earn some good rewards. Breathe easy, and remember that getting this card now will add another positive tradeline for you to grow over your lifetime.

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $50,000, Chase Freedom (12/12) $16,500, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Prestige (4/16) $30,000

Last App: June 27, 2015
Message 2 of 36
shorrttyycm1
Frequent Contributor

Thnx for thr response! I have ocd about these things. I can remember a time when it wouldn't have mattered to me and i cared less about the details...would have just been happy approved & would have maxed it asap. Then again that kinda thinking got me in serious trouble in the past :-(.

Message 3 of 36
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

Well don't max it out!!!

But keep it, use it as needed, and pay it in full every month. Everything will be fine.

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $50,000, Chase Freedom (12/12) $16,500, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Prestige (4/16) $30,000

Last App: June 27, 2015
Message 4 of 36
shorrttyycm1
Frequent Contributor

I said "would have" now i can't even convince myself to charge anything EVER. When i do i try to pif while the transactions are still pending LOL!

Thnx for advice. I guess i gotta live with it. Really didn't want 5 cards..way too many.

Message 5 of 36
TNTransplant
Established Contributor

@shorrttyycm1 wrote:
I said "would have" now i can't even convince myself to charge anything EVER. When i do i try to pif while the transactions are still pending LOL!

Thnx for advice. I guess i gotta live with it. Really didn't want 5 cards..way too many.

Actually, 5 cards is a good overall number to have from most viewpoints.  And think positively - this will give you one more positve tradeline and will help minimize the impact to AAoA in the future.  It's all good. Smiley Happy

Starting Score: Jan 2012: EQ - 659, TU08 - 670, EX - ???
Current Score:April 2014: EQ - 772, TU08 - 782, EX - 754
Last App:3/21/14

Message 6 of 36
bs6054
Valued Contributor

@shorrttyycm1 wrote:

What are the cards?  While 5 may be more than you feel comfortable with, it can be managed! 

Often you find that one card has no advantage of another one (e.g. in my case, the Barclays Reward card gives 2% on gas, groceries and utilities, but Fidelity Amex gives 2% back on everything) and that card can be removed from use  (some here suggest spending a little on it every few months to make sure it stays open, you may or may not care).

And then cards like Sallie Mae have some very specific uses.  It you are buying groceries, gas, or books, this is the first choice of card (unless you have spent over $250 on the first two this month).  If the other cards don't do better than 1% on somethings, this could be the only card you need to use.

So the basic approach is just to know the "best" card(s) for each type of spending to maximize rewards, or if that is too much work, just use the one that is best somewhere and good everywhere else.

Message 7 of 36
shorrttyycm1
Frequent Contributor

Thnx for response.

5 just seems like a lot. i really only wanted three tops. My goal was to replace both my crap cards...Orchard and Merrick with SallieMae, leaving me just three. But then luckily i got some good advice here and decided that closing them, as they are both my oldest accounts, would hurt too much,score wise. Had i asked first i wouldn't have applied to SallieMae. O well...it is a good card with rewards and no af. Darn ob and Merrick together cost me like $118 a year and neither have rewards.

Message 8 of 36
TNTransplant
Established Contributor

@shorrttyycm1 wrote:
Thnx for response.

5 just seems like a lot. i really only wanted three tops. My goal was to replace both my crap cards...Orchard and Merrick with SallieMae, leaving me just three. But then luckily i got some good advice here and decided that closing them, as they are both my oldest accounts, would hurt too much,score wise. Had i asked first i wouldn't have applied to SallieMae. O well...it is a good card with rewards and no af. Darn ob and Merrick together cost me like $118 a year and neither have rewards.

Why can't you close Orchard and Merrick?  This would leave you with the 3 card max that you desire, and it won't hurt anything (other than possibly your utilization) by closing them.  They'll both still report as a positive tradeline on your credit reports for the next 10 years, and by the time they drop off these other cards will be 10+ years old.  If you don't need them for utilization issues right now, then close them.

Starting Score: Jan 2012: EQ - 659, TU08 - 670, EX - ???
Current Score:April 2014: EQ - 772, TU08 - 782, EX - 754
Last App:3/21/14

Message 9 of 36
shorrttyycm1
Frequent Contributor

Sorry, my cards are:
NFCU $14,000 no rewards
CapOne $5,000 cash back rewards 1 or 2% it
SallieMae $2500 5% gas grocery & amazon
OB $520 no rewrds +$59 annual fee
Merrick $300 no rewrds + $59 annual fee

Message 10 of 36
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.