Message 11 of 19
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Talk me down - Amex SPG app angst

Mass mailing 10,000 first spend 20,000 after $5000 spend Smiley LOL

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 12 of 19
manzanita
Contributor

Oh I know it's a mass mailing and that I'm not special...but I had to laugh at the eerie timing.
Amex PRG - NPSL // Amex Delta Gold- 2000 // Amex SPG - 5400 // Cap 1 Platinum - 1300 // Citi Dividend - 5000 // Discover It - 10,000 // Barclay Arrival - 4000 // WestElm - 7000 // J.Crew - 1100

Gardening as of 8/16/13
Message 13 of 19
rex_03
Contributor

Got the "invite" also, but I'm staying away. My next Amex will carry MR points for the spend.. New year come on.. Smiley Happy

Message 14 of 19
manzanita
Contributor

Re: UPDATE - Talk me down - Amex SPG app angst

**UPDATE**

Sigh. I went ahead and did it. I'm so embarassed! I just didnt want to wait till next year. But, I was approved instantly for 5400, which is close to what I would have hoped for on the 60 day CLI on my Delta.

So here's my plan:

1.Obviously no more apping. If the happiness from an approval is replaced by a sense of guilt...then you probably should take a break.

2. Going to forego the 60 day CLI on my Delta card.

3. Probably not going to request a CLI on this one either for a good long while.

4. After 13 months, transfer the Delta CL to this one, and shut Delta down. Will probably shut the PRG down at 1 year. Maybe I should just shut Delta down now? I have all the credit I need.

Point number 4 gets at why I ultimately went for the app. One Amex to rule them all for my purposes, it seems. Cheaper AF, better APR (15.24 vs 19 on delta), better point values. How might Amex react to an SD'd delta card?

You all tried. Thank you!

Amex PRG - NPSL // Amex Delta Gold- 2000 // Amex SPG - 5400 // Cap 1 Platinum - 1300 // Citi Dividend - 5000 // Discover It - 10,000 // Barclay Arrival - 4000 // WestElm - 7000 // J.Crew - 1100

Gardening as of 8/16/13
Message 15 of 19
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

I figured you would app. Congratulations! If you don't need the 3x CLI on Delta I understand. You don't have to ask for 3x- if your plan is to combine CLI's then you might want to - you have a much longer way to go on your Delta requests than just asking on the SPG before hitting the dreaded $25,000 Smiley LOL

The SPG is a nice card. Keep the Delta until the AF is due - you might want to PC to a different revolver.
Message 16 of 19
manzanita
Contributor

Thanks for not judging (too much!).

Anyway, my 60 days is coming up in just under 2 weeks on the Delta card. You say I should just go ahead and build it (then transfer to the SPG at 13 months). I know I'll be well under the 25k red zone and I'm very small potatoes, I just worry that all this activity in such a short window might raise some eyebrows and cause an unnecessary hassle.

So, should I go for the CLI as scheduled? Or maybe give it a rest then go for it around the holidays.

If I get the full 3x, my total CL across the board with them would be 11,400...and when combined next year 10,900. More than enough, as far as I'm concerned.

Gardening as of 8/16/13
Message 17 of 19
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Never would I judge ! Lol

You can wait and ask at 90 days or whenever you feel you are ready. I just think if your ultimate goal is to combine limits- then start with the lower CL. When you hit your comfort zone- stop and then combine the limits. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe you have to wait 13 mos to transfer lines.
Message 18 of 19
myjourney
Super Contributor

@manzanita wrote:

**UPDATE**

Sigh. I went ahead and did it. I'm so embarassed! I just didnt want to wait till next year. But, I was approved instantly for 5400, which is close to what I would have hoped for on the 60 day CLI on my Delta.

So here's my plan:

1.Obviously no more apping. If the happiness from an approval is replaced by a sense of guilt...then you probably should take a break.

2. Going to forego the 60 day CLI on my Delta card.

3. Probably not going to request a CLI on this one either for a good long while.

4. After 13 months, transfer the Delta CL to this one, and shut Delta down. Will probably shut the PRG down at 1 year. Maybe I should just shut Delta down now? I have all the credit I need.

Point number 4 gets at why I ultimately went for the app. One Amex to rule them all for my purposes, it seems. Cheaper AF, better APR (15.24 vs 19 on delta), better point values. How might Amex react to an SD'd delta card?

You all tried. Thank you!

Congrats 

Garden time 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.