UPDATE:Will this hurt my credit?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Will this hurt my credit?

@Anonymous wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
I am planing to use my CSP to make a 115k purchase, because of im getting reward points. I have cash in bank ready to pay in off in full. But I dont have that high CL, I called CS, and they said thats a NPSL card because its a VISA SIG. But im afraid it will hurt my credit due to the utilization. Any thought?

Thx in advance.

OP: In the conversation with the CSR, did you bring up the possibility the charge would be over $100k, or just the concept of NPSL?

OP: NPSL doesn't mean you have infinite limit, there's an internal limit. If it is truly NPSL I guess I should try to swipe a Gulfstreamer with it.

@Anonymous,

Thats a funny post.  But in all seriousness, I wouldn't charge that amout to a card because of rewards.  It only brings headaches afterwards that no amount of points is worth it.  OP should carefully consider the PROS and CONS of such an action.  I am sure he has but it doesn't hurt to go over the plan over and over again.  That is why the forum is here.

Message 21 of 48
merlinflex
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I am planing to use my CSP to make a 115k purchase, because of im getting reward points. I have cash in bank ready to pay in off in full. But I dont have that high CL, I called CS, and they said thats a NPSL card because its a VISA SIG. But im afraid it will hurt my credit due to the utilization. Any thought?

Thx in advance.

Assuming such a large went through, just wait a few days to post and then log on and pay off.  i have done that with large items like property taxes and such all the time for point and cash back....of course I eat whatever convenience charge that they assign for using a credit card.  Probably won't even show up if you do it within a 5 day period.  Hasn't for me, the only place I see if is on CK where I monitor my day to day stuff.  I did $9K last year paying my property taxes and then my parents....about 3 days later it posted and I logged on and paid that same day from my checking account.  Other than CK, never showed up on my FICO scores and I saw nothing negative.

Message 22 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, Im talking about a 115k charge. Im planning to buy a boat, and the store is owned by my friend. So, he allows me use CC for the entire purchase plus 1.5% processing fee (~$1800). I talked to CSP CSR, they have my request on file and said they will approve the charge. My current CL is 25k. But I used to charge about 16k on that card when my CL is only 5k (I also called them ahead). That time, my credit score was OK. But this time Im over the CL too much. I also bank with Chase, have a high six figure to low seven figure in my saving account. I think that might helped a little bit, but CSR didnt ask me anything about how much I have with them. 

The only thing I am worring is that I will make the purchase in next week, and my bill due date is the week after next week. So, I dont know whether they will report this balance. Their CSR said they can't gurantee. I think if they report, my credit could be hurt. 

Current FICO: ~750

Message 23 of 48
merlinflex
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes, Im talking about a 115k charge. Im planning to buy a boat, and the store is owned by my friend. So, he allows me use CC for the entire purchase plus 1.5% processing fee (~$1800). I talked to CSP CSR, they have my request on file and said they will approve the charge. My current CL is 25k. But I used to charge about 16k on that card when my CL is only 5k (I also called them ahead). That time, my credit score was OK. But this time Im over the CL too much. I also bank with Chase, have a high six figure to low seven figure in my saving account. I think that might helped a little bit, but CSR didnt ask me anything about how much I have with them. 

The only thing I am worring is that I will make the purchase in next week, and my bill due date is the week after next week. So, I dont know whether they will report this balance. Their CSR said they can't gurantee. I think if they report, my credit could be hurt. 

Charge it the morning of the first day you can, wait 48-72hrs, but check every few hours each day to see if it posts, then pay the same day. Shouldn't be a problem.

Message 24 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous,

Ok.. if there is a Chase branch near you, go in and have someone confirm that is noted on your account for the purchase.  I wouldn't just take a CSR word for it.  It is better to be safe than sorry.

Another thing you should consider since you have the money is have them temporary increase the lineon the card to cover just the boat purchase / offer them to hold the money in your account if that is safer for them. (For a transaction like that, it is best you go in than do it via phone.  (It helps for them to see you and be able to verify you)  I have had my card increased to high limits just to cover a big expense(not as high as yours).  The temporary increase is good for 5 days.  But go in and talk to someone live.  Keep us posted.

Message 25 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

BTW, that 115,000 point isnt just $1150 cash to me. I will transfer it to United miles, and I usually fly to China and Hongkong, which cost 74000 miles per round trip. And if I use cash to buy ticket, hot season could cost me more than $2000. These 115,000 points meaning more than $3000 value to me, that why Im willing to pay that 1.5% processing fee. 

Message 26 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

@zZach8668,

Do you have a private banker at chase?  If you do, let them handle that for you.

Message 27 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@zZach8668,

Do you have a private banker at chase?  If you do, let them handle that for you.

I dont. They ask for investment if I join. Most of my assets are oversea and managed by HSBC Hongkong. I join the nation 2 years ago, and really new to this "credit game". I am planing to buy some real estate properties this year as investments, and of course I will apply  for mortage. Thats why Im caring my credit score so much recently. 

Message 28 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@zZach8668,

I dont. They ask for investment if I join. Most of my assets are oversea and managed by HSBC Hongkong. I join the nation 2 years ago, and really new to this "credit game". I am planing to buy some real estate properties this year as investments, and of course I will apply  for mortage. Thats why Im caring my credit score so much recently. 

Yes.. thats right.  But go in and have a PB help you out.  They can call while you are there and make sure you are all set on a transaction like that.

Message 29 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thx in advance.

OP: In the conversation with the CSR, did you bring up the possibility the charge would be over $100k, or just the concept of NPSL?

OP: NPSL doesn't mean you have infinite limit, there's an internal limit. If it is truly NPSL I guess I should try to swipe a Gulfstreamer with it.

@Anonymous,

Thats a funny post.  But in all seriousness, I wouldn't charge that amout to a card because of rewards.  It only brings headaches afterwards that no amount of points is worth it.  OP should carefully consider the PROS and CONS of such an action.  I am sure he has but it doesn't hurt to go over the plan over and over again.  That is why the forum is here.

+1

Message 30 of 48
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.