cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

**UPDATE** wells fargo secured not graduated after 42 months!

tag
slap_happy
Frequent Contributor

**UPDATE** wells fargo secured not graduated after 42 months!

Hi, first time long time, 

I started rebuilding my credit almost 4 years ago after all my junk when I was 18-19 yo fell off my credit report, it was a clean slate and I began with a wells fargo secured card with a $300 CL, since then, I have a amex NPSL Zync, Amex blue sky preferred with over 10k cl, discover it, BOA signature, chase freedom all around $5k.

I contacted WF last week, mentioned that I have never missed a payment, was never late, never over my cl, always paid more then the minimum and please remember, I am at 42 months with them. 

recieved a letter today telling me that I cannot be graduated because my debt to income ratio is to high! this is hilarious, I make over $100,000 and all my credit lines combined are under $30,000. mind you, they are almost all at or near zero since I PIF every month. a 30% debt to income ratio is good enough to get a loan on buying a house but not to get graduated from wells fargo!!! can anyone believe this! 

in closing, dont ever get a wells fargo secured card.

Message 1 of 52
51 REPLIES 51
lajntx
Frequent Contributor

Re: wells fargo secured not graduated after 42 months!

@slap_happy wrote:

Hi, first time long time, 

I started rebuilding my credit almost 4 years ago after all my junk when I was 18-19 yo fell off my credit report, it was a clean slate and I began with a wells fargo secured card with a $300 CL, since then, I have a amex NPSL Zync, Amex blue sky preferred with over 10k cl, discover it, BOA signature, chase freedom all around $5k.

I contacted WF last week, mentioned that I have never missed a payment, was never late, never over my cl, always paid more then the minimum and please remember, I am at 42 months with them. 

recieved a letter today telling me that I cannot be graduated because my debt to income ratio is to high! this is hilarious, I make over $100,000 and all my credit lines combined are under $30,000. mind you, they are almost all at or near zero since I PIF every month. a 30% debt to income ratio is good enough to get a loan on buying a house but not to get graduated from wells fargo!!! can anyone believe this! 

in closing, dont ever get a wells fargo secured card.

It could be worse.... It could have been a capital one secured card that will never graduate under any circumstances other than capital one deciding to do it on their own when the moon is blue.

EQ- 647, EX- 641, TU- 644
Sept `13 - ZERO Debt, 100% Liquid, AND a climbing credit score. Eat your heart out Dave Ramsey!
Message 2 of 52
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Welcome to the forum! I assume WF has your current income information. If so, I guess you'll be getting your $300 back.
Message 3 of 52
slap_happy
Frequent Contributor

thanks, they are very aware of my financial, the problem is I have 4 years of history with them, I dont want to close the account, I would say the history is more important to me, its just amazing that they have not graduated this account.

Message 4 of 52
gen-specific
Frequent Contributor

apply for a different wells fargo credit card and you will likely be approved

the secured one has its own conditions.

Message 5 of 52
slap_happy
Frequent Contributor

I understand but in all reality, I should not need to apply for a new card, I dont need the HP and I have 42 months of credit history with them, if they dont want to graduate me why should they give me another card! 

Message 6 of 52
Brusilov
Established Contributor

I had mine for 4.5 years and they never graduated, despite an absolutely spotless CR in all of that time.  When I called all they would ever say is that I'm welcome to apply for an unsecured card separately or wait for a possible review for graduation that happens 2x/annually.  I ended up just closing the card because I'd already moved on establishing lines with other banks.  I have no real desire to do business with them again especially considering their lackluster banking products.

Message 7 of 52
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Not sure what you mean by lose the history. A closed account may stay up to 10 years on your CR's.
Message 8 of 52
Brusilov
Established Contributor

@slap_happy wrote:

I understand but in all reality, I should not need to apply for a new card, I dont need the HP and I have 42 months of credit history with them, if they dont want to graduate me why should they give me another card! 

I'm just curious but do you use WF checkings/savings?  I got my card initially while I did, but then transfered all banking to NFCU.  I'm wondering if this perhaps factored into their decision.

Message 9 of 52
slap_happy
Frequent Contributor

you are right, but Id rather just use it and buy a few cups of coffee with it every month and just continue to have a perfect history. instead of closing it, id rather it be open and have a 5, 6, 7 year and so on history instead of just a closed account. if im wrong let me know, im always interested in a better idea, am I doing right?

Message 10 of 52
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.