cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

*UPDATED* Best backdoor number for Citi? They're driving me insane.

tag
Open123
Super Contributor

Re: Best backdoor number for Citi? They're driving me insane.

This sort of inefficient bureaucracy has been crippling Citi the past 10 years.

There is a direct line to credit analyst, but I think they only include those numbers on decline/approved emails to Citigold clients.  I know that with Citigold, you can always call the analyst handling your application directly.  As far as I know, if the number isn't included in the email, there is no way of reaching them.

Your best bet is to write the Executive department to see if you can get some kind of resolution.  

Good luck trying to make them understand what you're trying to explain.

Message 11 of 32
RyVision
Valued Contributor

@FloridaState12 wrote:

@RyVision wrote:

Now that I somewhat shared my opinion of Citi.....

I have to add that I think your idea of calling the rentention number again is most likely your best bet. ESP if you already have a card with them. Just my 2 cents.

That is true. I could say something along the lines of "with the hellish service I've been enduring these past few days, I'm contemplating closing my existing account. I don't want to do business with a bank this incompetent."

Even though i would never close that account as it's my highest CL and I actually really do like the card. The main reason I applied was hoping I'd get another good card with a fat CL. Smiley LOL

You might want to avoid that exact method lol.   They could decide to CLD you....  Smiley Frustrated

On the other hand, they might give you another card, but move some of your current limit from the card you have, over to the new one.  Which does nothing for you.

AKA 840flippedto480
Message 12 of 32
FloridaState12
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

FloridaState - do you have a link to the application you filled out?

My impression is that there is only 1 application for the Forward, found here: https://www.citicards.com/cards/acq/Apply.do?app=UNSOL&app_COL=COLLEGE&sc=46EZGBH0&sc_COL=4CECZBJ0&m=701H00000ZW&langId=EN&siteId=CB&B=V&screenID=3124&uc=4LH&uc_COL=4LG&t=t&ProspectID=0261D74C75F8415A8782396BEB5C33F3

There is another application on their website for a higher sign-up bonus with a higher spending requirement, but the content of the application is identical.

In the application they ask if you are a student and if you are, you are first considered for the regular version. If you don't qualify you are then considered for the student version. You are told which version you get once approved, along with APR and credit limit info.

Sorry to hear about all the mess. I wonder if they have a credit department like Chase does where you can call and get some clarification instead of dealing with the frontline CSRs?

That makes sense...when I go through the student cards link I get the same application. 

It seems logical that they would do something like that...kind of like how Walmart has one application and if you don't get the Discover, they try and get you the Store version. This case the Discover being the original Forward and the store card being the Student Forward. 

Either way, the rep was a fool because she told me to reapply for the student version of the card...which is stupid regardless of whether or not they are two different applications or one in the same. 

I'm going to try a number I received tomorrow, and I'll post updates. I have a feeling if I can get past the robots, I can at least get a better understanding of what is going on, if not get approved.

Photobucket
Message 13 of 32
smc733
Valued Contributor

Remember my Citi thread where I "sounded like I didn't get exactly what I wanted", yea...  Welcome to Citi.

Best of luck to you.  I've given up trying to get a straight answer from ANYONE there, even retention is completely limited in how they can help or even provide information.

BofA Cash Rewards VS - $25k | Citi Double Cash World MC - $18.9k | Amex BCE - $50k | Discover it - $50k | Chase Freedom Unlimited VS- $10k | Barclay Ring $5k |
Message 14 of 32
FloridaState12
Established Contributor

@smc733 wrote:

Remember my Citi thread where I "sounded like I didn't get exactly what I wanted", yea...  Welcome to Citi.

Best of luck to you.  I've given up trying to get a straight answer from ANYONE there, even retention is completely limited in how they can help or even provide information.

This is karma for me saying that.

I blame this on you. Smiley Tongue

Photobucket
Message 15 of 32
FloridaState12
Established Contributor

Actually, dyv8914, you've got me curious. 

I just looked up my cardholder agreement for my Dividend...nowhere does it say "student." I even searched my email box and found the approval email (along with a denial email from a long time ago --something I haven't received in this case) and it didn't say student anywhere. On my online account it doesn't say student anywhere, either.

Does this mean I had the regular version the entire time and didn't even know it?? Not that it really makes a difference, but I'm curious. My interest rate (after the promo 0%) is 12.99% which is the lowest available on the student version...11.99 is the lowest on the regular. So I guess it could be a coincidence that my rate happens to be the lowest offered for the student?

I may bring this to their attention as well. Because if this is true, then their representative told me a flat out lie. 

Photobucket
Message 16 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

@FloridaState12 wrote:

Actually, dyv8914, you've got me curious. 

I just looked up my cardholder agreement for my Dividend...nowhere does it say "student." I even searched my email box and found the approval email (along with a denial email from a long time ago --something I haven't received in this case) and it didn't say student anywhere. On my online account it doesn't say student anywhere, either.

Does this mean I had the regular version the entire time and didn't even know it?? Not that it really makes a difference, but I'm curious. My interest rate (after the promo 0%) is 12.99% which is the lowest available on the student version...11.99 is the lowest on the regular. So I guess it could be a coincidence that my rate happens to be the lowest offered for the student?

I may bring this to their attention as well. Because if this is true, then their representative told me a flat out lie. 

I'm not sure, but I would assume you have the regular version. I don't think there is much difference between the regular and student Forward either. The only thing I would expect is the student version may have a lower starting CL.

Message 17 of 32
cashnocredit
Valued Contributor

I've only had one experience with Citi CSRs and found them quite helpful and they worked dilligently to get a large, 20k, card not present purchase approved. The company involved outsourced their CC operation so they were unable to take a manual approval code and Citi had to workaround some sort of automated security thingy that prevented automatic authorization for the charge.

Otherwise, I've found their billing and web operation pretty flexible. They apply payments immediately to my available credit and have a good autopay setup. I also love their virtual CC feature and use it for most of my one of a kind online purchases.

I have reestablished credit over the last couple years
so my moniker is, well, rather out of date.

WM Discover $1800, WF Plat 12k, Chase Freedom Siggy18k, Amex Plat (60k H/B), Citi AA EWMC 25k
Message 18 of 32
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

I don't know if it's Citi perse, but you might be getting a very different experience because of the kind of card you're applying for.

For low-level products, the CSRs are typically awful and located in overseas call centers. They probably don't place a large value on these cardholders. For their premium products, you'll get a very different experience. I doubt that people with the old Citi Chainman or new Citi Prestige will get the same treatment.

Cap1 works this way. Depending on which card you have, the level of service can be night and day.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 19 of 32
FloridaState12
Established Contributor

UPDATE: 

Much better today. I called a number that I got from Google (the number a member PM'd me did not work, unfortunately) that said it was "Citi Executive Response Office" and immediately told the woman I had a question about a CC and is she the right person to talk to. She said no, but I can transfer you to our customer service if you'd like? I said NO. NO, for the love of God, no. Please, is there anyone else? And she said yes I can transfer you to our Presidential office's credit card division (or something along those lines --point being it wasn't customer service) and a very nice guy answered. 

First thing he did was ask for my number so he could call me back if the call got disconnected. He then looked up my application, and again explained to me the reasons, but said that he would manually review it and do everything he could to get it approved. I was able to actually explain the inquiries and my reasoning behind them and all that (unlike the previous rep who kept interrupting me to read her script). He said he wouldn't be able to get me a response today but he would personally call me when a decision was made. 

This is all I wanted. Is it so much to ask? I wanted further explanation of the reasons declined, as well as someone to look over my application manually, but the foreign rep I talk to said that wasn't possible. Bologna. 

Anyway the guy apologized for my experience and thanked me for being an existing card member and all that jazz. So we will see! He even gave me his direct phone number and email address to contact him if I had any other questions. Even if I don't get approved, he has single-handedly saved my faith in Citi. Just getting a friendly American person who actually listens to you and cares about you as a customer can really do wonders. 

And before anyone asks or PM's me, I will not give out this guy's email or phone number so he gets inundated with emails and calls. Sorry, I just don't feel it's right to "wh0re-out" his information, for lack of a better term. 

Photobucket
Message 20 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.