Did you mean: 

UR points redemption

tag
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

Re: UR points redemption

@RhubarbPie wrote:

@ryanbush wrote:

I know there has been a lot of debate on here lately regarding UR vs MR point values, I will always back up the MR program not necessairly that it is more valuable than UR but the fact that either way it is still very valuable.  

So I thought I would share an experience redeeming UR points today, I was looking at booking a round trip ticket from AR to NC in April to visit of my good friends (my best man in fact) that is in the Marines.

The cost of the ticket from united.com was 680$, I was able to book it for 25k miles on a saver award.  this is a value of 2.7 cents per point.  This means that on Dining and Travel I have been earning the equilivent of 5.4% back on my CSP.  This is better than any straight cash back card including the Discover IT with the rotating 5% category and all most 3x the value of the Fidelity AMEX (even beats it on the straight 1 point back spend).

Just thought I would post my experience.

You'll always get the best redemption value transferring to airlines or hotels vs. getting cashback. If you don't already have it, you can get 5% on Chase Freedom rotating categories and then transfer those points to UR as well.

Perhaps I'm in the minority here, but I really dispise rotating category cards.

I really can't be bothered swapping out cards that often, especially when some of them have such low quaterly caps. Thr random changing nature of the categories also means that some months it won't get much use, while in others I'll blow through the cap in a day or two. For me, consistancy and ease of use > the extra points gained.

The other thing is that given the Freedom is a Chase card, it occupies a valuable slot. Chase won't issue you an umlimited number of cards, so picking which few you keep is something to be mindful of.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 11 of 61
HiLine
Blogger

Haha you may as well count the Freedom in combination with any of those cards. I should've said non-UR earning cards Smiley Happy
Seriously, only the Amex Gold and Platinum can possibly compete, since they give 3 MR points per dollar spent on travel booking on their site, and MR points are transferable to frequent flier programs.
Message 12 of 61
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@HiLine wrote:
Haha you may as well count the Freedom in combination with any of those cards. I should've said non-UR earning cards Smiley Happy
Seriously, only the Amex Gold and Platinum can possibly compete, since they give 3 MR points per dollar spent on travel booking on their site, and MR points are transferable to frequent flier programs.

Speaking of Amex MR, I ran across something interesting a few months ago and am contemplating whether or not it's worth it.

Amex issues a revolver here called the Platinum Edge, which gives 3x on groceries, 2x on gas and 1x on everything else with $149 AF. The two of us spend around $300 per week on groceries and around $500 per month on gas (though that is mostly reimbursed by my employer).

I'm wondering if it's worth adding it to my rotation or not, factoring in the extra hassle plus lost United and UR points in favor of MR.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 13 of 61
distantarray
Established Contributor

@CreditScholar wrote:

@HiLine wrote:

Speaking of Amex MR, I ran across something interesting a few months ago and am contemplating whether or not it's worth it.

Amex issues a revolver here called the Platinum Edge, which gives 3x on groceries, 2x on gas and 1x on everything else with $149 AF. The two of us spend around $300 per week on groceries and around $500 per month on gas (though that is mostly reimbursed by my employer).

I'm wondering if it's worth adding it to my rotation or not, factoring in the extra hassle plus lost United and UR points in favor of MR.

I'm pretty sure it's an Austrillian thing

I get upto 4.3 cpp (cents per point) transfering UR to United to saver award to Vietnam where it can run towards 2,800 in high season (when I usually travel)

Also I tried checking Ritz Carlton 3.3 cpp for a night isn't bad either.

But a good contender is Citi Foward + Premier for domestic travel, 5x categories + 33% bonus = 6.65 cents rebate for dining out, movies, music, bookstore, amazon.

So $5,000 spent dining out would get you a $325 ticket (25,000 points)  but then I'm pretty sure southwest would beat it (i don't use southwest)

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 14 of 61
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@distantarray wrote:

@CreditScholar wrote:

@HiLine wrote:

I get upto 4.3 cpp (cents per point) transfering UR to United to saver award to Vietnam where it can run towards 2,800 in high season (when I usually travel)

But a good contender is Citi Foward + Premier for domestic travel, 5x categories + 33% bonus = 6.65 cents rebate for dining out, movies, music, bookstore, amazon.

So $5,000 spent dining out would get you a $325 ticket (25,000 points)  but then I'm pretty sure southwest would beat it (i don't use southwest)

It is an Aussie-issued card, but that's ok for me since I spend the majority of the year here. I'm just wondering if it's even worth bothering with. Acceptance is limited to major chains (supermarkets, gas stations, food outlets such as McDonalds) and other large companies (department stores, utility companies, telecom, government, etc.). Most places don't take AMEX at all.

4.3 cpp is a good return, but is the $2800 for Y or J? For such a long trip, J or F would be much more comfortable. Also which Ritz were you referring to at 3.3 cpp? I've rarely found values that even come close to that.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
Message 15 of 61
distantarray
Established Contributor

@CreditScholar wrote:

@distantarray wrote:

@CreditScholar wrote:

@HiLine wrote:

It is an Aussie-issued card, but that's ok for me since I spend the majority of the year here. I'm just wondering if it's even worth bothering with. Acceptance is limited to major chains (supermarkets, gas stations, food outlets such as McDonalds) and other large companies (department stores, utility companies, telecom, government, etc.). Most places don't take AMEX at all.

4.3 cpp is a good return, but is the $2800 for Y or J? For such a long trip, J or F would be much more comfortable. Also which Ritz were you referring to at 3.3 cpp? I've rarely found values that even come close to that.

Not sure which one just in Miami I found one just to see, they wanted 30,000 points for $1080 a night room.

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 16 of 61
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@distantarray wrote:

@CreditScholar wrote:

@distantarray wrote:

@CreditScholar wrote:

@HiLine wrote:

Not sure which one just in Miami I found one just to see, they wanted 30,000 points for $1080 a night room.

Ugh... Miami. Here I was hoping for a good value for those RCR/Marriott points, but I honestly can't stand the beach. You got my hopes up for a moment only to shoot me down. How cruel! Smiley Sad

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
Message 17 of 61
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

@RhubarbPie wrote:

@ryanbush wrote:

I know there has been a lot of debate on here lately regarding UR vs MR point values, I will always back up the MR program not necessairly that it is more valuable than UR but the fact that either way it is still very valuable.  

So I thought I would share an experience redeeming UR points today, I was looking at booking a round trip ticket from AR to NC in April to visit of my good friends (my best man in fact) that is in the Marines.

The cost of the ticket from united.com was 680$, I was able to book it for 25k miles on a saver award.  this is a value of 2.7 cents per point.  This means that on Dining and Travel I have been earning the equilivent of 5.4% back on my CSP.  This is better than any straight cash back card including the Discover IT with the rotating 5% category and all most 3x the value of the Fidelity AMEX (even beats it on the straight 1 point back spend).

Just thought I would post my experience.

You'll always get the best redemption value transferring to airlines or hotels vs. getting cashback. If you don't already have it, you can get 5% on Chase Freedom rotating categories and then transfer those points to UR as well.

I think this will be my next card to app for, just for the rotating categories.  although I would like to have a BOA or Citi card to diversity my portfolio... Choices, Choices!

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 18 of 61
Open123
Super Contributor

@ryanbush wrote:

In general with all things being equal, I think the UR program is more valuable than the MR one.  

This is also becuase the CSP (or, Ink Bold), offers a better value than anything Amex has to offer, except for the unique charge card characteristics offered only by Amex. In time, we'll see if Chase handles the charge card as well as Amex.

The only times when MR points are of a greater value than UR is when you capitalize on a bonus transfer and find a premium cabin on a certain route.  This is certainly the exception, rather than the rule.

Message 19 of 61
Cdnewmanpac
Established Contributor

@CreditScholar wrote:

The other thing is that given the Freedom is a Chase card, it occupies a valuable slot. Chase won't issue you an umlimited number of cards, so picking which few you keep is something to be mindful of.

One of the advantages of UR that nobody seems to mention is that you can transfer points between spouses. So you can get the CSP and have SO get a Freedom. Or you get an Ink, she gets an Ink Bold. Then transfer all UR points to one account and use that to transfer to partners. My wife is thinking of getting an Ink or Ink Bold for the consulting work she does. She doesn't spend enough on office supplies/phone/etc. to make UR work independently for her. But transfering the sign up bonus plus whatever points she does earn to my UR account might be the difference between our son flying to Europe on mom's lap or in his own seat. Something to keep in mind...

In wallet: Ink Plus 10k, AMEX TE 25k. In bag: CSP 16k, USAA WMC 15k, Hyatt 13k, United MPE 12k, AMEX HHonors 3k. In SD: Cap 1 QS 5k, Discover IT 7k. FICO 08 says my EQ is now 844, was 510 in 2010.
Message 20 of 61
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.