Did you mean: 

UR points redemption

tag
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

Re: UR points redemption

@Open123 wrote:

@ryanbush wrote:

I know there has been a lot of debate on here lately regarding UR vs MR point values, I will always back up the MR program not necessairly that it is more valuable than UR but the fact that either way it is still very valuable.  

In general with all things being equal, I think the UR program is more valuable than the MR one.  

This is also becuase the CSP (or, Ink Bold), offers a better value than anything Amex has to offer, except for the unique charge card characteristics offered only by Amex. In time, we'll see if Chase handles the charge card as well as Amex.

The only times when MR points are of a greater value than UR is when you capitalize on a bonus transfer and find a premium cabin on a certain route.  This is certainly the exception, rather than the rule.

Chase is definitly trying to take as much business from Amex as they can, which is only good for us consumers as this will most likely cause Amex to make their rewards program more lucrative, hopefully soon they will come out with another cards that gives 3-4 points per dollar on gas which is a huge spend for me during since I have a boat, I can easily spend over a grand a month of gas.

The MR points can be more valuable to me not on a cent per point basis but on a convience factor.  I don't have United or Southwest at my home airport, Delta and American are my only options.  Being able to transer MR to Delta or American (through BA) and being able to fly local and not have to drive 2-3 hour plus pay parking (at home I can always get someone to drop me off).  This makes MR points more valuable to me as an individual.

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 21 of 61
Open123
Super Contributor

@CreditScholar wrote:

@HiLine wrote:
Haha you may as well count the Freedom in combination with any of those cards. I should've said non-UR earning cards Smiley Happy
Seriously, only the Amex Gold and Platinum can possibly compete, since they give 3 MR points per dollar spent on travel booking on their site, and MR points are transferable to frequent flier programs.

Speaking of Amex MR, I ran across something interesting a few months ago and am contemplating whether or not it's worth it.

Amex issues a revolver here called the Platinum Edge, which gives 3x on groceries, 2x on gas and 1x on everything else with $149 AF. The two of us spend around $300 per week on groceries and around $500 per month on gas (though that is mostly reimbursed by my employer).

I'm wondering if it's worth adding it to my rotation or not, factoring in the extra hassle plus lost United and UR points in favor of MR.

Is there a sign up bonus?  LOL  That's always my first question when considering a new card, and just had to ask!

I think it's worth it with a sign up bonus, but probably not if there isn't.  Since you have 1.5 on your UA Club card, you'd earn about 30,000 UR points from your existing fixed cost in fees.  Adding this card without a sign up bonus will only net you about 25,000 MR points more for $149.  

For me, I might just do it for a year, just for the fun of having and using a "new" card.

Message 22 of 61
Open123
Super Contributor

@Cdnewmanpac wrote:

@CreditScholar wrote:

The other thing is that given the Freedom is a Chase card, it occupies a valuable slot. Chase won't issue you an umlimited number of cards, so picking which few you keep is something to be mindful of.

One of the advantages of UR that nobody seems to mention is that you can transfer points between spouses. So you can get the CSP and have SO get a Freedom.

Or you get an Ink, she gets an Ink Bold. Then transfer all UR points to one account and use that to transfer to partners. My wife is thinking of getting an Ink or Ink Bold for the consulting work she does. She doesn't spend enough on office supplies/phone/etc. to make UR work independently for her. But transfering the sign up bonus plus whatever points she does earn to my UR account might be the difference between our son flying to Europe on mom's lap or in his own seat. Something to keep in mind...

This is a good idea.  Compliment the cards and combine them for household points.

PS - Going to see if I can convince her to have all the no fee cards I don't want an inquiry for, while I keep all the premium cards.  Oh, and see if she'll go with all the points are combined into my accounts.  May cost me a nice dinner and champange for this one!

Message 23 of 61
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

@Cdnewmanpac wrote:

@CreditScholar wrote:

The other thing is that given the Freedom is a Chase card, it occupies a valuable slot. Chase won't issue you an umlimited number of cards, so picking which few you keep is something to be mindful of.

One of the advantages of UR that nobody seems to mention is that you can transfer points between spouses. So you can get the CSP and have SO get a Freedom. Or you get an Ink, she gets an Ink Bold. Then transfer all UR points to one account and use that to transfer to partners. My wife is thinking of getting an Ink or Ink Bold for the consulting work she does. She doesn't spend enough on office supplies/phone/etc. to make UR work independently for her. But transfering the sign up bonus plus whatever points she does earn to my UR account might be the difference between our son flying to Europe on mom's lap or in his own seat. Something to keep in mind...

This is a good idea.  Compliment the cards and combine them for household points.

Yeah that is definitly a benefit that amex needs to get on board with,

I have been considering getting the freedom card but I might just have my fiance get one and add me as an AU (shes an AU on my CSP) and we can just use each card for the bonus categories and combine points for travel. 

two cards shouldn't be too hard for her to keep us with spending on, especially since most of the dining I pay for since we're together.

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 24 of 61
Open123
Super Contributor

@ryanbush wrote:

The MR points can be more valuable to me not on a cent per point basis but on a convience factor.  I don't have United or Southwest at my home airport, Delta and American are my only options.  Being able to transer MR to Delta or American (through BA) and being able to fly local and not have to drive 2-3 hour plus pay parking (at home I can always get someone to drop me off).  This makes MR points more valuable to me as an individual.

Absolutely spot on.  Not only value, but prioximity, availability and convenience are all extremely important factors.

Message 25 of 61
Open123
Super Contributor

@ryanbush wrote:

I have been considering getting the freedom card but I might just have my fiance get one and add me as an AU (shes an AU on my CSP) and we can just use each card for the bonus categories and combine points for travel. 

two cards shouldn't be too hard for her to keep us with spending on, especially since most of the dining I pay for since we're together.

I've been suggesting the same, but my wife isn't a finance person.  

She really doesn't care at all, and I've been finding it difficult to persuade her to apply.  Wish I could just command her to do it, but in this age, won't work too well.  j/k  Jokes aside, it still drives me crazy when she uses her "no rewards" Wells Fargo Visa.  I just don't get it.

Message 26 of 61
FutureBillionaire
Established Contributor

@HiLine wrote:
Haha you may as well count the Freedom in combination with any of those cards. I should've said non-UR earning cards Smiley Happy
Seriously, only the Amex Gold and Platinum can possibly compete, since they give 3 MR points per dollar spent on travel booking on their site, and MR points are transferable to frequent flier programs.

I thought I saw something on Amex stating that the Amex site was only giving 1 point per dollar moving forward.

Gas: Discover It, Penfed Platinum Rewards x2, Chase freedom, Citi TYP
Plane tickets: CSP
Groceries: AMEX BCP, Penfed Platinum Rewards,Citi TYP
Clothes: Express, Amex BCP, Discover IT
Amazon: Citi Forward, Cash +
Restaurants: Citi Forward, Chase Freedom, Discover IT, CSP
Hotels and other travel: Discover Escape, CSP
Movies: BofA travel rewards visa signature(fandango), Discover IT, Citi Forward, Freedom
Bars, clubs, tomfoolery: CSP, Citi Forward, Discover IT, Freedom
Balance transfers: Kroger 123 rewards
Bill Pay: Chase Ink Plus, Citi Forward,
Everyday spending: Bofa Accelerated cash rewards amex, Discover Escape
Message 27 of 61
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

@ryanbush wrote:

She really doesn't care at all, and I've been finding it difficult to persuade her to apply.  Wish I could just command her to do it, but in this age, won't work too well.  j/k  Jokes aside, it still drives me crazy when she uses her "no rewards" Wells Fargo Visa.  I just don't get it.

Mine isn't either, she listens well though Smiley Happy

BTW... I hope she's not on here...

Message 28 of 61
HiLine
Blogger

@Open123 wrote:

@ryanbush wrote:

You'll be forgoing the bonus if you'd rather be an AU than apply for a card on your own.

A no-rewards credit card charges merchants a lower swipe fee in general. That's one possible reason. Smiley Wink

Message 29 of 61
Open123
Super Contributor

@HiLine wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

@ryanbush wrote:

You'll be forgoing the bonus if you'd rather be an AU than apply for a card on your own.

A no-rewards credit card charges merchants a lower swipe fee in general. That's one possible reason. Smiley Wink

Wouldn't surprise me!

She's always been the unbridled altruist, greenpeace, eat less meat and save the environment type.  Conversely, I have never seen an oil well I didn't want to driil, animal I didn't want to shoot, and can't imagine a life without ribeye steaks!

Message 30 of 61
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.