Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UR points redemption

tag
Open123
Super Contributor

Re: UR points redemption

@CreditScholar wrote:

Holy sh*t, you too? Mine wants to help all of the animals, conserve the environment and ease human suffering, but at least she still likes a good steak! Maybe it's because she grew up in the exact opposite position as myself, but regardless I think I've picked up a lot of good habits from her.

We have re-usable everything, and she's glad that I go along with most of her "hippie ideas" even though they're definitely not my thing. She trusts my decisions regarding credit, which cards to get, and will rotate a few cards for different categories. It works for us and I guess it's a good tradeoff.

Because of her, we have the stupid 3 trash cans in our house.  One for recycling, compost, and the other for...ah...trash, I guess. 

Jokes aside, I've learned a considerable amount from here, and continue to do so.  Still, on general principle, I've got to roll my eyes on the no rewards Wells Fargo card she insists on using.

Message 41 of 61
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

@CreditScholar wrote:

Holy sh*t, you too? Mine wants to help all of the animals, conserve the environment and ease human suffering, but at least she still likes a good steak! Maybe it's because she grew up in the exact opposite position as myself, but regardless I think I've picked up a lot of good habits from her.

We have re-usable everything, and she's glad that I go along with most of her "hippie ideas" even though they're definitely not my thing. She trusts my decisions regarding credit, which cards to get, and will rotate a few cards for different categories. It works for us and I guess it's a good tradeoff.

Because of her, we have the stupid 3 trash cans in our house.  One for recycling, compost, and the other for...ah...trash, I guess. 

Jokes aside, I've learned a considerable amount from here, and continue to do so.  Still, on general principle, I've got to roll my eyes on the no rewards Wells Fargo card she insists on using.

Really? Mine still has some capitalist in her, so she sees the value in using decent cards even if she wants (in her words) a "scruffy, scrappy, fluffy dog army".

I couldn't believe it when one time she approached a rabid, feral cat who was injured and tried to pick it up. It latched on to her left arm, then when she tried to pull it off it flipped in mid-air and started biting and latching itself on to her right arm. RARRRRR MEOWWW HISSS!!! It seriously looked like something out of a cartoon. She said she'd do it again and her doctor thought she was crazy.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 42 of 61
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

@CreditScholar wrote:

What's your opinion on applying for the SPG, yes or no? Is it worth adding into my rotation for domestic spending only? I've never had it before.

In my view, this is easily Amex's best product.  

The fee is reasonable, and the returns are high if some of the hotels you like end up on the category 3, 4, or 5s.  The only downside is the forex fee, but you can always use the "cash + points" for int'l properties and pay with a no forex fee card.

Currently, there's a 25K sign up bonus (there I go again!  LOL), and along with your domestic spending would give you a nice opportunity to try it out for free.  If it turns out there aren't any properties you'd like with the "cash + points" option, you can always transfer them to airlines at a 25% bonus.  Only downside is that UA isn't one of those.  They are, but at 2 spg points to 1 UA mile, which is hardly compelling value.

If I were you, I'd try it out just for the 25K bonus and first year fee waived.  

I'll probably give it a try later this year then, if nothing else to see what the fuss is about.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 43 of 61
Open123
Super Contributor

@CreditScholar wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

@CreditScholar wrote:

What's your opinion on applying for the SPG, yes or no? Is it worth adding into my rotation for domestic spending only? I've never had it before.

The fee is reasonable, and the returns are high if some of the hotels you like end up on the category 3, 4, or 5s.  The only downside is the forex fee, but you can always use the "cash + points" for int'l properties and pay with a no forex fee card.

Currently, there's a 25K sign up bonus (there I go again!  LOL), and along with your domestic spending would give you a nice opportunity to try it out for free.  If it turns out there aren't any properties you'd like with the "cash + points" option, you can always transfer them to airlines at a 25% bonus.  Only downside is that UA isn't one of those.  They are, but at 2 spg points to 1 UA mile, which is hardly compelling value.

I'll probably give it a try later this year then, if nothing else to see what the fuss is about.

In Sep/Oct, the bonus may go up an extra 5K!  LOL

Message 44 of 61
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

@CreditScholar wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

@CreditScholar wrote:

In Sep/Oct, the bonus may go up an extra 5K!  LOL

I'll be out of the country until November, most likely. If I applied in October, I'd have to activate it and then let it sit until we landed. Blowing through 5k minimum spend in December will be easy though.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
Message 45 of 61
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

@CreditScholar wrote:

Sounds like Dharma and Greg. Smiley Happy

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
Message 46 of 61
distantarray
Established Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

@CreditScholar wrote:

REALLY? Your going to complain about international FOREX fees for Cash + Points redemption? Smiley Very Happy

1. 3% Forex Fees

2. 1,600 points + $30 = Category 2 Sheraton in Nha Trang (which should be a 4 imo)  so what do you pay in Forex fees? 90 cents!  Is it worth double or triple Starwood points (depending on status) for the 3%? ABSOLUTELY. Only card that COULD take it if your only getting 2x at Starwood is MAYBE a CSP if you have one since you get 2.14 UR points which could ALMOST compare against Starwood, but still I prefer 2x - 3x Starwood vs 2x UR points.

For me

Starwood > UR points > Amex MR

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 47 of 61
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@distantarray wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

@CreditScholar wrote:

REALLY? Your going to complain about international FOREX fees for Cash + Points redemption? Smiley Very Happy

1. 3% Forex Fees

2. 1,600 points + $30 = Category 2 Sheraton in Nha Trang (which should be a 4 imo)  so what do you pay in Forex fees? 90 cents!  Is it worth double or triple Starwood points (depending on status) for the 3%? ABSOLUTELY. Only card that COULD take it if your only getting 2x at Starwood is MAYBE a CSP if you have one since you get 2.14 UR points which could ALMOST compare against Starwood, but still I prefer 2x - 3x Starwood vs 2x UR points.

For me

If you go through the UR portal, you can get an extra 2 UR points per dollar on SPG properties using the CSP. That would give you 4.28 UR points per dollar spent. For stays where you pay cash, you'd be getting that (from charging on the CSP) plus the 2-3 starpoints per dollar spent at the hotel.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
Message 48 of 61
distantarray
Established Contributor

@CreditScholar wrote:

@distantarray wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

@CreditScholar wrote:

1. 3% Forex Fees

For me

If you go through the UR portal, you can get an extra 2 UR points per dollar on SPG properties using the CSP. That would give you 4.28 UR points per dollar spent. For stays where you pay cash, you'd be getting that (from charging on the CSP) plus the 2-3 starpoints per dollar spent at the hotel.

lol looking back I mis-read the first post, I thought he was complaining about Forex fees for Cash and points, but there is none =)

and UR mall is not a possibility while paying cash and points

Also a fun one, can you figure out how I get almost 7 points on a dollar on Mariott hotels? =)

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 49 of 61
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@distantarray wrote:

@CreditScholar wrote:

@distantarray wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

@CreditScholar wrote:

1. 3% Forex Fees

For me

lol looking back I mis-read the first post, I thought he was complaining about Forex fees for Cash and points, but there is none =)

and UR mall is not a possibility while paying cash and points

Also a fun one, can you figure out how I get almost 7 points on a dollar on Mariott hotels? =)

Sure, go through the UR portal with a Marriott card. The card gives you 5 points per dollar, and the portal another 2. So you'll get 5 Marriott points + 2 UR points per dollar spent.

The other way is to purchase gift cards when they have the yearly specials. Last year they were giving an extra 10 points per dollar spent buying the gift cards. So you'd be getting 15 points per dollar (5 for the marriott card + 10 bonus).

Both scenarios will then let you earn points during the actual hotel stays too (10 base plus elite bonuses).

Oops, my turn to misread. I'm assuming you use a rotating 5 point/dollar category card plus UR?

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
Message 50 of 61
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.