mongstradamus
Super Contributor

Re: UR program restructuring.....

@FocusedAndDetermined wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

I ditched the Freedom last month because the card wasn't growing and I barely used it.  Much happier with my other cards.

Seems like many on these boards will be leaving Chase. Wonder if others will have the same reaction. Be interesting to see how this plays out for Chase.

I think many probably will ditch freedom as an everyday card, but i still find its useful in combination with CSP or Ink card or something. 5x on UR points with gas half the year and restaurants  for one quarter i think itsn't bad. 

Agreed, the 5x is great but many, myself included, get that with Discover.  Never had the CSP, so that combo bonus never applied to me. 

I can understand that i have both freedom and discover, the one thing sometimes with discove with restaurants , discover isn't accepted as widely as freedom. I still think the freedom -csp combo is really good to accumulate those UR points, if you don't have access to Chase ink cards. 

The Freedom - CSP combo is good. Chase never thought me worhty of any of their signature cards, which is why I closed the Freedom.  An $1.8K limit didn't meet my needs.  I have lots more flexibility with Discover and Barclay.  My daughter gets MR point with her PRG that I use from time-to-time, so those can be transferred to an airline. 

In general I do like diversify between programs, I am thinking spg, UR, and MR just in case there is an massive devaluation so you don't get totally killed. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 41 of 103
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

I ditched the Freedom last month because the card wasn't growing and I barely used it.  Much happier with my other cards.

Seems like many on these boards will be leaving Chase. Wonder if others will have the same reaction. Be interesting to see how this plays out for Chase.

I think many probably will ditch freedom as an everyday card, but i still find its useful in combination with CSP or Ink card or something. 5x on UR points with gas half the year and restaurants  for one quarter i think itsn't bad. 

Agreed, the 5x is great but many, myself included, get that with Discover.  Never had the CSP, so that combo bonus never applied to me. 

I can understand that i have both freedom and discover, the one thing sometimes with discove with restaurants , discover isn't accepted as widely as freedom. I still think the freedom -csp combo is really good to accumulate those UR points, if you don't have access to Chase ink cards. 

The Freedom - CSP combo is good. Chase never thought me worhty of any of their signature cards, which is why I closed the Freedom.  An $1.8K limit didn't meet my needs.  I have lots more flexibility with Discover and Barclay.  My daughter gets MR point with her PRG that I use from time-to-time, so those can be transferred to an airline. 

In general I do like diversify between programs, I am thinking spg, UR, and MR just in case there is an massive devaluation so you don't get totally killed. 

Generally, devaluations are in the partners, so your UR/MR/SPG still transfer 1:1 to airline X, but whereas you previously needed 100K for a RT to Dumpsville, you now need 150K (or 200K if you use an alliance partner)

So program diversity helps in that it gives you more partners, who hopefully haven't all devalued at once, but if you need a particular airline, it doesn't help if that gets devalued.

Message 42 of 103
j_casteel
Valued Contributor

So I guess now it will be pointless for me to keep my Chase checking...pun intended.
Learning from my past and rebuilding..

BK discharged 1/10/17
scores: EQ 659 | TU 630 | EX 659

QS 3.8K | WF 500 | Cabela's 3k | ACU 500 |

Message 43 of 103
heyitsyeh
Frequent Contributor

Well, that just put all temptation to migrate checking to Chase to rest Smiley Happy

TU: 777 | EQ: 814 | EX: 764
Last INQ: 3/26/21
AAoA: 4y 7m
Lowest limit: Chase Freedom Visa - $13,000
Highest limit: Discover It - $56,500
Available credit: $200,600 (8 cards)
Message 44 of 103
AvadaKedavra
Established Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@maiden_girl wrote:

Man they are just slashing  down Chase customers...

No, it's for our own good!  It says "to meet the evolving needs of our customers"    Isn't that nice.

haha I literally laughed out loud Smiley Tongue

Chase is still quite a popular bank. Here in NYC there's a chase on every other block and an ATM in every Duane Reade (which is also on every other block). The QuickPay feature is amazing and the instant transfer between chase/chase QuickPay makes it worth staying with them.

Message 45 of 103
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

@AvadaKedavra wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@maiden_girl wrote:

Man they are just slashing  down Chase customers...

No, it's for our own good!  It says "to meet the evolving needs of our customers"    Isn't that nice.

haha I literally laughed out loud Smiley Tongue

Chase is still quite a popular bank. Here in NYC there's a chase on every other block and an ATM in every Duane Reade (which is also on every other block). The QuickPay feature is amazing and the instant transfer between chase/chase QuickPay makes it worth staying with them.

Only because they took WaMu hostage... Smiley Sad

As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 46 of 103
OHWWCB
Regular Contributor

Yeah, I live in the Midwest and there is literally a Chase everywhere I turn my head. Not to mention, most of my friends/family bank with Chase so it's super convenient for Quick Pay, like an upcoming bachelorette party this weekend. So I'll probably always keep a Chase checking account in case I need cash but most of my money is with Ally now.

Hilton Honors $15,000 | AMEX Green | Chase Sapphire Preferred $9000 | Discover IT $6600 | Marriott Premiere Rewards $5000 | Chase Freedom $5500 | Barclaycard Visa with Apple Rewards $2000 | CapitalOne Quicksilver One $2000 | US Airways Dividend Miles $2400
Message 47 of 103
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@OHWWCB wrote:

Yeah, I live in the Midwest and there is literally a Chase everywhere I turn my head. Not to mention, most of my friends/family bank with Chase so it's super convenient for Quick Pay, like an upcoming bachelorette party this weekend. So I'll probably always keep a Chase checking account in case I need cash but most of my money is with Ally now.

The difference in interest rates would make that an smart move,but doesn't ally provide enough atms you can withdraw from fee free?

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 48 of 103
iCoop
Regular Contributor

@USF813 wrote:

This makes me glad I app'd for IHG, instead of any of the UR cards. I already have shopping portal benefits with NFCU so I don't really need CSP or Freedom.

+1

I have the CSP but it was only for the 40K UR bonus... it'll be sock drawered until I PC it to the regular CS. I love the IHG card and all of it's benefits. If those change, I'll take all of my business from Chase back to NFCU.

Starting Score: EQ 675 | TU 688 | EX 702
Current Score: EQ 795 | TU 788 | EX 770
Goal Score: 750 (Across All 3)

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 49 of 103
smith5879
New Contributor

I don't think Ally charges fees and if an ATM charges you one, they reimburse you. I'm thinking about opening up an account with Ally in the near future because of the much better interest rates. If I open one though I'd still keep my PNC accounts open because otherwise you have no way to put cash into a bank account if you ever need to,

April 2014: EX FICO 763 | EQ FICO 760 | TU FICO 721
September 2018: EX FICO 811 | EQ FICO 815 | TU FICO 826

Amex BCP 24.5k | Chase Freedom VS 15k | Citi Double Cash WEMC 25k | Discover It 25.5k
Message 50 of 103
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.