Super Contributor

Re: UR program restructuring.....

@-NewGuy- wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@-NewGuy- wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@iCoop wrote:

@USF813 wrote:

This makes me glad I app'd for IHG, instead of any of the UR cards. I already have shopping portal benefits with NFCU so I don't really need CSP or Freedom.

+1

I have the CSP but it was only for the 40K UR bonus... it'll be sock drawered until I PC it to the regular CS. I love the IHG card and all of it's benefits. If those change, I'll take all of my business from Chase back to NFCU.

That's an interesting take , on CSP. I would disagree about value of CSP. Its an lot more versatile. I may be biased but I am not big fan of hotel cards,since their point values are pretty horrid. 

MOST hotel cards... LOL.

The only one that has decent value is spg and hyatt, other like Marriot, IHG, Hilton have pretty dismal values!!! not worth UR or MR points IMO

Agreed. And MR transfer rate to SPG is horrible and not worth it IMO. I was mainly referring to the Hyatt card.

Its so bad that i didn't even bother listing it lol. Its like .33 or something :-) The problem with hyatt is they don't have enough hotels for my liking especially internationally. I am still trying to find best way to pay for hotels with points , since they are usually the most expensive part of trips. I am thinking maybe using an arrival + or something like that is best way i don't know. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 71 of 103
-NewGuy-
Moderator Emeritus

@mongstradamus wrote:

@-NewGuy- wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@-NewGuy- wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@iCoop wrote:

@USF813 wrote:

This makes me glad I app'd for IHG, instead of any of the UR cards. I already have shopping portal benefits with NFCU so I don't really need CSP or Freedom.

+1

I have the CSP but it was only for the 40K UR bonus... it'll be sock drawered until I PC it to the regular CS. I love the IHG card and all of it's benefits. If those change, I'll take all of my business from Chase back to NFCU.

That's an interesting take , on CSP. I would disagree about value of CSP. Its an lot more versatile. I may be biased but I am not big fan of hotel cards,since their point values are pretty horrid. 

MOST hotel cards... LOL.

The only one that has decent value is spg and hyatt, other like Marriot, IHG, Hilton have pretty dismal values!!! not worth UR or MR points IMO

Agreed. And MR transfer rate to SPG is horrible and not worth it IMO. I was mainly referring to the Hyatt card.

Its so bad that i didn't even bother listing it lol. Its like .33 or something :-) The problem with hyatt is they don't have enough hotels for my liking especially internationally. I am still trying to find best way to pay for hotels with points , since they are usually the most expensive part of trips. I am thinking maybe using an arrival + or something like that is best way i don't know. 

It going to be tough. The Hyatt and SPG are the only two hotel cards where you get good value from general spend. Marriott, IHG, etc return a terrible value, some worse than others. The only way for those points to provide reasonable value is to have the credit card and actually stay at the properties and accrue points that way.

EDIT: For reference, most Holiday Inns are somewhere between 20-30K points for a free night. Accruing points solely through the credit card (1x general, 2x category) would take a ton of spend for a pretty horrible return in my opinion. those same 20-30k points will get a free night at Hyatt's nicest properties (with points left over for the most part) or even two nights at some good properties.

Message 72 of 103
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@-NewGuy- wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@-NewGuy- wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@-NewGuy- wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@iCoop wrote:

@USF813 wrote:

+1

MOST hotel cards... LOL.

It going to be tough. The Hyatt and SPG are the only two hotel cards where you get good value from general spend. Marriott, IHG, etc return a terrible value, some worse than others. The only way for those points to provide reasonable value is to have the credit card and actually stay at the properties and accrue points that way.

I probably will take an look at SPG if i see another 35k offer, i am not going to even look at the card right now when they are only offering 10k , especially since its once in an life time signup bonus right now. I don't stay in hyatts enough to warrant getting their card imo. I can just use my csp to use points to stay at hyatt, i know you don't get bonus points like you would with hyatt card but not an huge deal for me. I will take an look at the Arrival + probably some time next year. I have other cards that i would rather get first. 

1. PRG

2. UAL

3. Citi AA

4. Delta Amex

Those are probably the next four cards i want to get. 

Message 73 of 103
iCoop
Regular Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

@iCoop wrote:

@USF813 wrote:

+1

Oh no don't get me wrong, the CSP is great and has numerous benefits, including the ability to collect IHG points which is what I want. But for my needs paying $95 a year to borrow money just doesn't make sense so I'll PC it down to the regular CS. On the other hand, paying $49 each year for the IHG card and getting a free annual night stay along with numerous other perks is well worth it.

Starting Score: EQ 675 | TU 688 | EX 702
Current Score: EQ 795 | TU 788 | EX 770
Goal Score: 750 (Across All 3)

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 74 of 103
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@-NewGuy- wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@-NewGuy- wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@-NewGuy- wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@iCoop wrote:

@USF813 wrote:

+1

MOST hotel cards... LOL.

EDIT: For reference, most Holiday Inns are somewhere between 20-30K points for a free night. Accruing points solely through the credit card (1x general, 2x category) would take a ton of spend for a pretty horrible return in my opinion. those same 20-30k points will get a free night at Hyatt's nicest properties (with points left over for the most part) or even two nights at some good properties.

But the Value in the cards is not the points. I have my Marriott card Scok drawered and it's sole purpose for paying the $85 AF is the free night.   The IHG card as well. Booking through UR mall and with UR points is a better deal. the only advantage for Marriott card is that rooms are generally priced the same like a Kings and a Double were both at 20,000 ppoints aht the Couryard marriott I was looking at 

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 75 of 103
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@-NewGuy- wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@-NewGuy- wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@-NewGuy- wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@iCoop wrote:

@USF813 wrote:

+1

MOST hotel cards... LOL.

But the Value in the cards is not the points. I have my Marriott card Scok drawered and it's sole purpose for paying the $85 AF is the free night.   The IHG card as well. Booking through UR mall and with UR points is a better deal. the only advantage for Marriott card is that rooms are generally priced the same like a Kings and a Double were both at 20,000 ppoints aht the Couryard marriott I was looking at 

I understand as pure value for signups and miles i just don't like hotels. I understand the free stay involved with hotel cards. I guess for me i don't stay in hotels as often as most people do so i probably wouldn't take advantage of that. Another thing is i really do like the flexibility that MR/UR/SPG based programs have. 

I look at it like this MR/SPG/UR>Airline cards> Hotel cards. I realize my situation is differnt than most.

Message 76 of 103
-NewGuy-
Moderator Emeritus

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@-NewGuy- wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@-NewGuy- wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@-NewGuy- wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@iCoop wrote:

@USF813 wrote:

+1

MOST hotel cards... LOL.

In the instance above I mentioned the cards as relating to spending, specifically spend that isn't at the branded hotel.. Obviously there are other card benefits that add value as well, such as free nights, eite status, etc. This is what makes some cards great for spending and others better for the perks.

To continue that point and use your example, the Marriott card provides 1 pt general spend and 2 pt category spend (again, not counting hotel spend here). That means that you would have to general spend 20k straight general spend (less with the category spend, but you get the point) and in return would get a free night at a Courtyard. That is bad value, when the same 20k Hyatt Gold Passport points or SPG Starpoints (although SPG AMEX has no category spend), would get you a free night in a MUCH nicer hotel, or a free night in an equivilant hotel with a good chunk of points left over (or a nice chunk of airline miles in the case of SPG).

Just to be clear, this doesn't cover the loyalty program's normal accrual from staying at hotels, the card's elevated earning at hotels, secondary benefits, etc, simply general spend on a hotel card.

Also, the statement "The value in cards is not the points" would be better stated as "Points aren't the ONLY value of a card".

Message 77 of 103
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@-NewGuy- wrote:

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@-NewGuy- wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@-NewGuy- wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@-NewGuy- wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@iCoop wrote:

@USF813 wrote:

+1

MOST hotel cards... LOL.

In the instance above I mentioned the cards as relating to spending, specifically spend that isn't at the branded hotel.. Obviously there are other card benefits that add value as well, such as free nights, eite status, etc. This is what makes some cards great for spending and others better for the perks.

To continue that point and use your example, the Marriott card provides 1 pt general spend and 2 pt category spend (again, not counting hotel spend here). That means that you would have to general spend 20k straight general spend (less with the category spend, but you get the point) and in return would get a free night at a Courtyard. That is bad value, when the same 20k Hyatt Gold Passport points or SPG Starpoints (although SPG AMEX has no category spend), would get you a free night in a MUCH nicer hotel, or a free night in an equivilant hotel with a good chunk of points left over (or a nice chunk of airline miles in the case of SPG).

Just to be clear, this doesn't cover the loyalty program's normal accrual from staying at hotels, the card's elevated earning at hotels, secondary benefits, etc, simply general spend on a hotel card.

Also, the statement "The value in cards is not the points" would be better stated as "Points aren't the ONLY value of a card".

You get 5x points per dollar spent there which makes the card worth it if you go to Marriott a lot. which means if you spend $20,000 dollars there a year you make 100,000 points a year. That means you can get Free nights at cat 8 hotels at least 1 or 2 night per year.  Now lets say you are like me and have a Marriott ,CSp and Freedom and put through $1,500 each quarter of spending on the Chase Freedom you will make $300 dollars per year or 30,000 points. Now lets say you spend $5,000 a year on dining not including the double points or is 3x on First Friday of them month for this year on the CSP?  You will be making $100 a year or 10,000 points. Now lets just say you fly round trip once a month for $500 a piece and totalling $6,000 a year for $120 CB or 12,000 points a year. That all would be around 52,000 points a year of Ultimate reward points alone through Chase cards. You can book one night for free using the Marriott card and then book X nights you want through Chase portal if the hotel you are staying in is the same or you can go to a different one in the same area. That 52,000 points + Free night at Marriot ( OR IHG or Hyatt if you prefer those) can mean you could have your whole vacations Hotel spending for Free no cash out of pocket. or less money out of pocket.   Marriott cards I would only say are usefull if you spend a lot in the Marriott system or IHG or Hilton or Whatever other hotel card out there.    The Marriott , Hyatt and IHG cards are great for the Free night and just to sock drawer for most of the time 

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
Message 78 of 103
-NewGuy-
Moderator Emeritus

Continued from above...

Yes, if you do ALL those things you will reap the rewards, no doubt. However, as stated in my above two posts, my point was ONLY in regards to general spend on a hotel card, which as stated, is a bad value for most hotel cards. General spend, not at hotels.

I certainly agree with your statement that Marriott and IHG cards are great to have if you frequently spend at their hotels.

Also,speaking strictly from a value standpoint, I wouldn't be transferring those 52,000 points from your example to any hotel UR partner besides Hyatt, due to their extremely high redemption requirements.

Message 79 of 103
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@-NewGuy- wrote:

Continued from above...

Yes, if you do ALL those things you will reap the rewards, no doubt. However, as stated in my above two posts, my point was ONLY in regards to general spend on a hotel card, which as stated, is a bad value for most hotel cards. General spend, not at hotels.

I certainly agree with your statement that Marriott and IHG cards are great to have if you frequently spend at their hotels.

Also,speaking strictly from a value standpoint, I wouldn't be transferring those 52,000 points from your example to any hotel UR partner besides Hyatt, due to their extremely high redemption requirements.

I wouldn't transfer and I said to use points through UR mall which is much better 

Message 80 of 103
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.