Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US Airways and American Airlines credit cards

tag
too-much-time
Frequent Contributor

US Airways and American Airlines credit cards

As chances are that eventually the US Airways card and miles will be folded into AAdvantage, is there any guessing as at whether the latter will improve by including the former’s annual companion ticket and the 10,000 bonus miles when you spend $25,000 per calendar year?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

Re: US Airways and American Airlines credit cards

@too-much-time wrote:

As chances are that eventually the US Airways card and miles will be folded into AAdvantage, is there any guessing as at whether the latter will improve by including the former’s annual companion ticket and the 10,000 bonus miles when you spend $25,000 per calendar year?

There hasn't been much info out on what the combined program is going to look like.  The new American Airlines senior management team is heavy pre-merger US Airways, which indicates another devaluation of the entire program is forthcoming along with the companion benefit. Just my $0.02

Message 2 of 5
Boonie
Frequent Contributor

@too-much-time wrote:

I believe there is a couple years left on the contract before the accounts can be merged.   I was approved recently for the US Airways card, but not AAdvantage.  So I hope they go with Barclays.  The Barclays site has a link for merger news, but when you click on it there is nothing.  So it appears everything is up in the air (pun intended) still. Smiley Very Happy

04/10/17 - FICO 8s - EX 769, EQ 710, TU 724
Message 3 of 5
MJ-san
Frequent Contributor

AA has already stated that Citi is their partner bank moving forward for the combined AAdvantage program. The US-Barclays relationship will continue until Dividend Miles merges into the AAdvantage program. For now, you can still get a Barclays card and earn miles, but down the road it will all be Citi. 

US formerly had Bank of America as their card partner - those accounts were sold to Barclays and Barclays converted & reissued new cards. 

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Whats going to happen with the credit card i dont know. I can tell you, like every other airline merger, the frequent flyer miles for US and AA will be combined into or transferrable from US to AA.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.