Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US Airways merges with American Airlines

tag
DigitalArk
Valued Contributor

US Airways merges with American Airlines

What do you think? How will it affect the two credit cards?
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
L-TWT
Established Contributor

Re: US Airways merges with American Airlines

Not that I use either,

but I wonder who will win out the right to issue CC's

BarclayCard or Citi?hmmmm

Message 2 of 10
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

I personally would wish for Barclays but I am afraid Citi will make the run...and there are no chances the forex fees will drop if Citi wins Smiley Sad
Message 3 of 10
rudy0720
Regular Contributor

On the news last night it said the merged company will go under American and the frequent flier programs will be American so guess it will be Citi

Citi Thank You Premier Visa Signature-$9K, Citi Thank You Preferred Vis Signature-$8.3K, Citi AA Signature- 8.5K, Citi Simplicity 9.2K, Citi Diamond-6.1K, Lowes-$10K, Chase Sapphire Preferred- $ 5K, AMEX BCE $14.5K, AMEX Starwood Preferred $15K, ,AMEX Everyday-$5K, Fidelity Amex-$10K, US Bank 123 rewards Kroger-$17K, Penfed Platinum Rewards Visa Signature-$30K, Amex Delta-$10K, Barclay Arrival Plus- $10K, Penfed Travel Rewards Amex-$10K, Bank of America Cash Rewards- $14K
Message 4 of 10
MACFRME
Frequent Contributor

I would say Citi is going to take this one. They have a much larger U.S. presence than Barclays. And isn't the merger going to result in keeping the name American Airlines? I am pretty sure Citi has the credit card business for that brand locked down. Meaning that if they keep the name, they have to keep Citi.
Cards I Carry
$7.5K $23K $5k $300(SEC) $500 $300 $1,500 $800 $800
Total Available Credit: $39.7k | FICOS: EX 659 | EQ 661 | TU 673
Message 5 of 10
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

So then now would be the time to get a US Airways card?

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 6 of 10
Alkalinem0n0
Contributor

Used American Airways twice and HATED them used US Airways twice and wanted to kill myself both times! It was like going back to the 1980s flying with both!

Granted I haven't flown with American. Since 2007 i flew from Dublin to Vegas via philly with US last April it was like torture I wouldn't sign up
For their cards in a million years cause I wouldn't willingly fly with them again..
Will be interesting to see what happens with the cards though
BofA Cash Rewards 16 k|BofA Travel Rewards 10k|Gold Delta SkyMiles American Express 32k|Discover IT 7k|Chase Freedom 10k
Message 7 of 10
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

So long as I won't have to apply for that Citi card, I'll be fine.

I really like my Barclay US Airways World MC - they've treated me WELL since opening it earlier this year.

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 8 of 10
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

Message 9 of 10
mxp114
Valued Contributor

Yeah old news, the expectation is that Barclays will force convert US Airways accounts into Arrival with various offers like they are now doing with Virgin America. Some conversions get Arrival, others between 10,000 to 20,000 bonus miles to encourage spend.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.