Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US Bank CASH+ Visa Sig Card NERF!!

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: US Bank CASH+ Visa Sig Card NERF!!

@Open123 wrote:

While greatly reduced, especially from before, it's still the *best* rotating category card, in my view.

1.  $2,000 is still a higher threshold than Freedom, Discover, or Dividend.

2.  The option to choose is inifnitely better than being assigned potentially useless categories.

3.  $25 for initial $100 is still nice.

Choosing 5% dining and bookstores makes this better than the Forward.  For its intended market and purpose (rotating cashback cards will never be geared towards those who spend great amounts), which card is better?

I can't think of one.

Re Forward:  I still don't think it is so clear cut.  The negative of the Forward is that it is TYP, so difficult to turn into cash or statement credit except by misusing the mortgage/student loan category.  But the positives are that it is uncapped, covers fast food as well, and more generally "entertainment" including movies, music, videos.  So depends on your life style.

I agree it's the best of the "rotating" cards, although the Freedom has the UR linkage.   While I have it (and use it just for cell-phone as I don't have Ink) I don't think I would apply for it today.  Maybe if I didn't have the Forward.

Message 31 of 34
HiLine
Blogger

@Open123 wrote:

While greatly reduced, especially from before, it's still the *best* rotating category card, in my view.

1.  $2,000 is still a higher threshold than Freedom, Discover, or Dividend.

2.  The option to choose is inifnitely better than being assigned potentially useless categories.

3.  $25 for initial $100 is still nice.

Choosing 5% dining and bookstores makes this better than the Forward.  For its intended market and purpose (rotating cashback cards will never be geared towards those who spend great amounts), which card is better?

I can't think of one.

Discover may come out ahead if you shop online a lot, thanks to shopdiscover. Otherwise I can't think of any better 5% category card either. 

Message 32 of 34
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@Crashem wrote:
They could have at least dropped it to 2% category after hitting cap. They still make money at 2% given that it is visa sig card and would at least still be useful. As for 2k a quarter, I can blow that out in month

2k in a month? I've blown that out in one single meal.

This is what frustrates me about rotating categories. The difference between the UA club card returning 3% (2 cpm x 1.5 miles per dollar) and 5% with the Cash+ is 2% (or $40). For that amount, I can't be bothered adding an additional card into the mix. It may work for others though.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 33 of 34
Crashem
Valued Contributor

I agree with you credit scholar. The limit on 5% makes it worthless to me. A 2% card is more useful.
               LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 34 of 34
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.