Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US Bank CC approval process?

tag
Imhotrodcrazy
Valued Contributor

US Bank CC approval process?

I decided to take the chance on getting a US Bank cc since I don't have any cc's.  I am doing this only to get the so called mix and get some new credit since I haven't had any in a long time.  I usually just pay cash for everything since I am retired. My question is, I applied on the phone and she said I would hear in 7 - 10 days.  She also set me up with an overdraft since I have my accounts with them.  She said it would all be done under the the same inquiry so I figured why not, since I already did the inquiry.  Is 7 - 10 days typical of how US Bank does this?  Any input by those in the know would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance for your time.

FICO 08
TU 842 12/8/18
EX 840 12/29/18
EQ 842 12/8/18
(NASA 30K) ( Amex 44k ) ( Freedom 10.6K ) ( US Bank Cash+ 20k, LOC 15k ) Winners never quit, and quitters never win
last app 2/15
Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: US Bank CC approval process?

You applied over the phone and they could not tell you if you were approved or not for the card and said you would hear something in 7 to 10 days. Hard too say but usually when i have applied over the phone for a card they usually approve you or deny you right then and there but everyone's curcumstances are different. I hope you are approved Smiley Wink as i heard US BANK is a pretty decent place to do business.

JoJo

Message 2 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Imhotrodcrazy wrote:

I decided to take the chance on getting a US Bank cc since I don't have any cc's.  I am doing this only to get the so called mix and get some new credit since I haven't had any in a long time.  I usually just pay cash for everything since I am retired. My question is, I applied on the phone and she said I would hear in 7 - 10 days.  She also set me up with an overdraft since I have my accounts with them.  She said it would all be done under the the same inquiry so I figured why not, since I already did the inquiry.  Is 7 - 10 days typical of how US Bank does this?  Any input by those in the know would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance for your time.

From my experience with them, they took 6 days to decide.  I didn't get instant approval, but I didn't have to recon either.  They just took their sweet time to decide.  I'm not sure if this is on par with what everyone else has experienced, but my father had the same thing and his credit doesn't have a scratch on it and has banked with them for over 30 years.  I'd say they are just kinda slow in deciding but in the end, it'll pay off for you.  They gave me my highest limit card ever.  Good luck and keep us posted!

Message 3 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Mizu wrote: From my experience with them, they took 6 days to decide.  I didn't get instant approval, but I didn't have to recon either.  They just took their sweet time to decide.  I'm not sure if this is on par with what everyone else has experienced, but my father had the same thing and his credit doesn't have a scratch on it and has banked with them for over 30 years.  I'd say they are just kinda slow in deciding but in the end, it'll pay off for you.  They gave me my highest limit card ever.  Good luck and keep us posted!

MIzu - did they pull a CR?

Message 4 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yep, sure did.  They pulled EQ.  Not sure who they pulled for my dad though.
Message 5 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Mizu wrote: From my experience with them, they took 6 days to decide.  I didn't get instant approval, but I didn't have to recon either.  They just took their sweet time to decide.  I'm not sure if this is on par with what everyone else has experienced, but my father had the same thing and his credit doesn't have a scratch on it and has banked with them for over 30 years.  I'd say they are just kinda slow in deciding but in the end, it'll pay off for you.  They gave me my highest limit card ever.  Good luck and keep us posted!

MIzu - did they pull a CR?  Oh, wait.  You're in MN and they pulled EQ, right?  Yep.  I remember now.  Congrats again on the card!  (I was born in the land of 10,000 lakes, so you think I'd remember, huh?)

Message 6 of 22
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Imhotrodcrazy wrote:

I'm guessing that the delay is due to the fact that you don't currently have any credit cards, so they don't have any recent revolving history on you on which to base a judgment.

Of course, it could also be that they so rarely get an app from someone without CC's that they wanted to let everyone marvel at you before sending you a card! Smiley Very Happy

I think you'll be OK. That's a good bank to be with. If they do decline you, I would definitely go the recon route. I think that you and they are well-matched in terms of your conservative approaches to credit, so it's worth some discussion if things don't go smoothly the first time around. Good luck!
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 7 of 22
Imhotrodcrazy
Valued Contributor

I want to thank everyone for their input.  I guess all I can do is wait.  I will keep you posted as to what happens. Thanks again for your time.

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

Of course, it could also be that they so rarely get an app from someone without CC's that they wanted to let everyone marvel at you before sending you a card! Smiley Very Happy

HTSU,  I am sure you are right on that. I know it can't be this old mans good looks.  Smiley Very Happy

FICO 08
TU 842 12/8/18
EX 840 12/29/18
EQ 842 12/8/18
(NASA 30K) ( Amex 44k ) ( Freedom 10.6K ) ( US Bank Cash+ 20k, LOC 15k ) Winners never quit, and quitters never win
last app 2/15
Message 8 of 22
Imhotrodcrazy
Valued Contributor

Update:  Just wanted to pass on this bit of info in case it helps someone else.   I pulled CCT this morning and found out that US Bank pulled EX on me.  I am located in Calif. This was good as it was my highest fico score.  Back around March of this year my cu told me that my score was 780 at that time.  My CCT shows a score of 744 this morning.  A few days ago it was 763.  That's a 19 point hit just for an inquiry.  Seems a bit harsh, but I don't know if that is the norm.  I will keep you posted when I hear the good news, ( hopefully ).

FICO 08
TU 842 12/8/18
EX 840 12/29/18
EQ 842 12/8/18
last app 2/15
Message 9 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

How long has it been since you applied?  There is an automated number you can call to go through the steps of your application status.  I did that a few days after my application and heard the ever pleasant computer voice saying "Congratulations, you have been approved!" message.  So you might give that a go if you're itching to find out the outcome.  Thanks for keeping us posted.  I'm cheering for your happy approval!
Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.