Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US Bank Card Decision

tag
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

Re: US Bank Card Decision

Thanks a million times over for those suggestions and opinions.

Been on here long enough that i shouldn't be surprised by the pure logic of each shared opinion as these are but i sure am!

I don't remember the last time i read such differing views and all of them unique and completely applicable in their own way as applies to what might work best in this situation.

It's true this card doesn't see as much use as intended anymore since it's just plain routine for most of us to either make more usage to our favorites or other cards for different purposes (Rewards, CLI's etc)

While i must admit that i do wholeheartily share one ambitious design on that method to best strike a tone for bringing the limit up through perhaps another PC (ordinarily that's right up my alley LoL), there are also a couple of other opinions that stand out to what might be best at this particular time.

Then there is the very valid point made about the other cards. Quality in every sense plus useful and still growing nicely. And since it's getting to the point that some redundancy is set in, it may be better to begin to scale back again? beginning with US Bank.

SD was mentioned at the top of the replies and usually that's a choice routine course to take if nothing else just to keep the card open (as well as the good advice that lenders always come out with new products to PC to) but i prefer to actively rotate usage on all my cards and am not real comforable anymore leaving one go for very long dormant. 6 months is probably tops for me.

Like i mentioned i have only positives to mention with this lender but am also very conscious that trends change with time with different ones and there is at least one mention of a drawback experienced. I tend to try to steer clear of those and with a variety you do have that choice.

I appreciate and value the cooperation in helping make up my mind on this.

Message 11 of 16
Viva-LV
Frequent Contributor

Long time USB customer (17 yrs) with three USB cc's; cli's totaling 21k.  Had a couple of auto cli's, but denied on two requests (inquiries).  Like you, not great interest rates, but have done two bt's with decent rates.  They are conservative to say the least!  I keep them open for occasional use and for utilization %.  BOA blows them off the highway in many ways, as I have almost 4x cli with BOA.  I'll keep them open with zero balances.

Am Ex | BOA | Chase | Citi | Disc | PenFed | USB | 400K Club
Message 12 of 16
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

@Viva-LV wrote:

Long time USB customer (17 yrs) with three USB cc's; cli's totaling 21k.  Had a couple of auto cli's, but denied on two requests (inquiries).  Like you, not great interest rates, but have done two bt's with decent rates.  They are conservative to say the least!  I keep them open for occasional use and for utilization %.  BOA blows them off the highway in many ways, as I have almost 4x cli with BOA.  I'll keep them open with zero balances.

Thanks for your share on them.

I will in all likelihood close this one card out the moment i see the statement cut completion.

It's just a matter of scaling back on the lower limit cards this go round that are stuck in the mud.

Yet no ills and no frills from me. It's but a simple step should a product of theirs ever interest me the next time to instead just drop into a Branch and hob nob.

Something i was going to do anyway before the Cash+ bonus category was reduced.

At one time it was a pretty hot card.

Message 13 of 16
NRB525
Super Contributor

I would not close it out.

TMWC has a good advice, see about changing it over to a Cash+ card. Set up Cellphones as one of your 5% categories every month. Put your cell phone charges on automatic every month. If you have a $50 cell bill, $2.50 per month, if you have a $100 cell bill, $5 per month, $60 per year added into a little US Bank Cash+ "savings plan" for some future splurge. I also put my landline charges on it, and presto, another "cellphone" winner. Try your cable bill to see whether it earns also.

Put the other 5% category on Bookstores and use it as an Amazon card.

If you plan on Department stores purchases in a quarter, put the 5% on that category.

If you are going on a trip, put the Rental car category on there.

Cash+ may not be what it once was, but there are many useful categories that you can line up the card to help out with.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 14 of 16
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

Food for thought and those are useful uses for what cats are still on it. Bonuses add up over time yes.

But i have the FlexPerks Amex at the moment but.....

IF another PC was at all in the plan it would make some sense to transfer over to it most definitely.

Message 15 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm sure you decided by now since this thread is 2-3 mo old-but if not-what about applying for a second card since your limit should be higher now. I have been getting amazing approvals from them. Once you get it-combine the old card limit into the new card.
Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.