Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US Bank Cash+ 5% Categories Suck

tag
BronzeTrader
Valued Contributor

Re: US Bank Cash+ 5% Categories Suck

@Anonymous wrote:
It is a card with flexible categories. No other card can match that. It works if you use the categories, it doesn't work if you don't use the categories. How is that different than any other rewards card??

I just do not spend much in any of the 5% categories.....

Message 11 of 17
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@BronzeTrader wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
It is a card with flexible categories. No other card can match that. It works if you use the categories, it doesn't work if you don't use the categories. How is that different than any other rewards card??

I just do not spend much in any of the 5% categories.....

I find the 5% categories are (mostly) pretty niche and small areas of spend. But this is YMMV.

I can totally understand why you find it lackluster and I don't think it's a card anyone needs to rush out and apply for. 5% on Bookstores is nice because it counts for Amazon, but there's plenty of things that are cheaper elsewhere vs Amazon so you have to be careful with that anyway.

Message 12 of 17
noobody
Established Contributor

I was a very early batch of cash+ holder, they had bill pay (heavily abused by a lot of people), airline, dining and NO cap and unlimited $25 bonus.
Good old days
I still use electronic and bookstore, newegg, apple store, and amazon is good category in my book.
EX819 1HP|TU797 1HP| EQ(Fico8 BankCard)841
Message 13 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

wish i had a cash plus for Ikea. They have a 25 off 150 promo right now. i could certainly use that more than once with this!!!  But instead will buy ikea gc's for 4% off using SPG card or something like that.

Message 14 of 17
weehoo
Frequent Contributor

It was much better when they had 5% at restaurantes, that was a great category.  Probably that is why they removed it.

I just select fast food/cell phone and get minimal cashback, but its something!

Citi AAdvantage WE - 41k | Marriott Bonvoy Brilliance - 29k | Citi Double Cash - 19 .5k | Southwest Premier - 39k | Discover Miles - 23k | GECRB Ebates Visa - 10k | Golden1 Rewards - $10k | Ducks Unlimited - 6k |
Message 15 of 17
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@weehoo wrote:

It was much better when they had 5% at restaurantes, that was a great category.  Probably that is why they removed it.

I just select fast food/cell phone and get minimal cashback, but its something!

Well, as noobody says, it was MUCH MUCH better when it first came out, no caps on the 5% category that included bill pay, airlines and home improvement.

Message 16 of 17
galahad15
Valued Contributor

I have personally found the 5% cashback on fast food and cellphones to be very good cashback categories IME.  I've had my Cash+ card for about 5 months now, and have so far accumulated a total of $57.01 cashback so far, which I am quite happy with.

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.