cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US Bank Cash+ 5% sign-up for July-Sept!!!!

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: US Bank Cash+ 5% sign-up for July-Sept!!!!

@nishant1 wrote:

$2000 cap is not on spending. It is on earning as clarified to me by their representative when I discussed changed categories in 1Q

To earn $2000, you have to spend 20 times that amount which for all practical purposes is huge.

And this is the same rep that told you that all telecom would be covered by the cell phone category, leading to your post "Very good new for us bank cash members?"

(http://creditcardforum.com/rewards/6604-very-good-news-us-bank-cash-members.html)  That turned out to be false in the general case, and as pointed out above, the website specifically says $2K in purchases.

Message 11 of 20
nishant1
New Contributor

I had spoken to US bank senior person who informed me that their original March plan of giving internet service provider MCC code for 5% cashback under cell phone category was changed subsequently and only cell phone service providers are now eligible for 5%.

Bank reward criteria keep changing. What is valid today may not be valid tomorrow. Ultimately banks give rewards to increase their net profits. If net profits decline, they tighten the rules.

We as consumers have an option of selecting best amongst available and move on.

Message 12 of 20
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@nishant1 wrote:

I had spoken to US bank senior person who informed me that their original March plan of giving internet service provider MCC code for 5% cashback under cell phone category was changed subsequently and only cell phone service providers are now eligible for 5%.

Bank reward criteria keep changing. What is valid today may not be valid tomorrow. Ultimately banks give rewards to increase their net profits. If net profits decline, they tighten the rules.

We as consumers have an option of selecting best amongst available and move on.

Fine, but then please don't post things as fact NOW (your comment above about the $2k being earnings rather than spend) when it directly contradicts the web site, is based on information from a source that has already proved unreliable (perhaps through no fault of their own) and also defies common sense.  What protection goal could a $40K per quarter cap provide the bank?

Message 13 of 20
psm
Contributor

Is there any reward for billpay or way to use billpay with the Cash+ in the new rules. I just got approved and don't have the card yet. Even if running a few monthly bills through it with 1% woudl be better than nothing. 

08-2022: EQ 830, TU 834, EX 832 - total credit limit 230,000+
Message 14 of 20
Woolfman
Established Contributor

2% At drugstores. just google vanilla reload.

Message 15 of 20
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Woolfman wrote:

2% At drugstores. just google vanilla reload.

Yes, that is a good way, but if you need only 1%, then that is simple. 

The Bill Pay that went away (rather than what US Bank calls Bill Pay now, which is just paying from your US Bank checking/savings account) didn't provide any special features, it just meant that any credit card payment to one of the merchants in the allowed categories would get 5%, now they all get 1%.  So any bill you can pay from a providers website with a credit card, would now get 1%.

If they don't take credit cards, or charge a surcharge for doing so, Woolfman's suggestion is good, but the gain is fairly small.  For a $1000 bill, you would gain a net of about $12.

Message 16 of 20
psm
Contributor

I would be looking for a way to run my student loan payment, mortgage, and car loan (about $2200/mo) and get rewards. These all only accept checking/savings ETF (or paper check or bill pay). Everyone's metric is diferent, but the Vamilla Network seems like much more work that I would put in for the value it would deliver.  

08-2022: EQ 830, TU 834, EX 832 - total credit limit 230,000+
Message 17 of 20
enharu
Super Contributor

@psm wrote:

I would be looking for a way to run my student loan payment, mortgage, and car loan (about $2200/mo) and get rewards. These all only accept checking/savings ETF (or paper check or bill pay). Everyone's metric is diferent, but the Vamilla Network seems like much more work that I would put in for the value it would deliver.  

get a prepaid visa card and do the money order trick.

still not really worthwhile tbh. it really depends on how much trouble you are bothered enough to go through.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 18 of 20
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@psm wrote:

Actually, for such a low monthly total, it is very simple, with one caveat: that you can find a store (e.g. CVS) that a) has VR and b) allows you to purchase them with a credit card.

If you can, most allow $1K purchase a day, so you can purchase $2,500 a month in 3 to 5 trips (depending if you buy $1,000 or $500).   Then it is really simple.

One time: add the lenders to your BlueBird account.   This takes at most 5 minutes if you have the account numbers.

Then:

1) Buy the VR

2) Load them onto the BB at the VR website (2 mins for ,2 max)

3) Go to BB site and pay the bill (1 minute per bill, max)

So it is, as designed, very easy, the long pole is getting the VR.  If you have to go our of your way and use gas etc, then the effort may not be worth it, but the gain would be ~ $30 per month with US Bank Cash Plus, and if you use a different card, you would need to evaluate how much each point/mile etc is worth.

With a 5x card, there is no question this is worthwhile.

Message 19 of 20
Woolfman
Established Contributor

@psm wrote:

The option i gave you does exactly this.. But if you are just looking for a credit card that lets you pay all these straight forwad ... Let me know when you find it.. I earn 60 bucks(actually 100 but have to buy the vanilla reloads) a month cash back for the little bit of work.. vanilla reload into bluebird and bluebird has all the qualities of any other checking account with the the only caveat being 5k a month limit.

Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.