US Bank Cash+ Flexible Spending CC

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: US Bank Cash+ Flexible Spending CC

@Anonymous wrote:

@Vulcan1600 wrote:

@dragontears wrote:

I have had the Cash+ since November; always shows -- for my credit limit on my online account but still reports the limit on CR. Have never tested the "flexible" part since I haven't used more than 10% before paying it off. It is my impression that having a flexible spending cc on your report is a good thing (during manual review) since those are the VS cards that are more "elite" than regular cards (this is just the impression I get)

Also for those with new US Bank cards, they report on the last day of the month NOT your statement date

Well, I'm sure glad I reconed with them when I apped for this card during my spree last month. They weren't going to give me the card but after speaking to them I was approved for the Cash+ with the $5k limit. If having a VS card is a good thing, even if I don't use it a lot, then I'm going to use it occasionally and keep it. Since it has 5% back for cell phone bills, I'll be using this for my Verizon payments starting in June.

Right, me too. I haven't decided on electronics or sporting goods though. 

I hope I can keep the cell phone one at 5% all year and not be forced to rotate it out because it's the main reason I got this card.

Message 11 of 20
dragontears
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@dragontears wrote:

Also for those with new US Bank cards, they report on the last day of the month NOT your statement date

Thanks. I was aware. Is it literally always the last day (28th, 30th or 31st)? 

yes the last working day of the month

Message 12 of 20
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@dragontears wrote:

The balance used is from the end of the calendar month. The actual day reported... mine just had alerts through EQ today, TU yesterday.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 13 of 20
dragontears
Senior Contributor

@Vulcan1600 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Vulcan1600 wrote:

@dragontears wrote:

I have had the Cash+ since November; always shows -- for my credit limit on my online account but still reports the limit on CR. Have never tested the "flexible" part since I haven't used more than 10% before paying it off. It is my impression that having a flexible spending cc on your report is a good thing (during manual review) since those are the VS cards that are more "elite" than regular cards (this is just the impression I get)

Well, I'm sure glad I reconed with them when I apped for this card during my spree last month. They weren't going to give me the card but after speaking to them I was approved for the Cash+ with the $5k limit. If having a VS card is a good thing, even if I don't use it a lot, then I'm going to use it occasionally and keep it. Since it has 5% back for cell phone bills, I'll be using this for my Verizon payments starting in June.

I hope I can keep the cell phone one at 5% all year and not be forced to rotate it out because it's the main reason I got this card.

you can pick the same categories each quarter unless they remove that category,

I also use the cell phone category (6 people on the plan, cash back builds fast)

Message 14 of 20
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Vulcan1600 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Vulcan1600 wrote:

@dragontears wrote:

You choose your categories each quarter, and yes you can keep the same categories continuously, though you must re-select them each quarter. If you don't, then none are given to you; they don't just roll over on their own to continue. It is an opt-in, you-must-take-action 5% program every quarter.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 15 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dragon and NRB - thanks for the clarification. I would certainly be watching and renew the cell phone one. I'm the main person on our 5 line account with all smartphones. We're on an older plan that gives us a 20% discount on the main line, but the bill is still $250 per month. My daughter and son in law pay $100 of it, so I'm still paying $150 a month. Every penny helps.

Message 16 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@dragontears wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@dragontears wrote:

So, last Friday of the month as long as it's not a holiday? 

Message 17 of 20
dragontears
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@dragontears wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@dragontears wrote:

yeppers, this month the balance you have on the 29 will report

Message 18 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@dragontears wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@dragontears wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@dragontears wrote:

yeppers, this month the balance you have on the 29 will report

Wait, I misstated.  But I get it. It's actually my payday, so it should be easy enough to remember. Smiley Happy  It's not ALWAYS a Friday. But if the last day of the month falls on the weekend, then it's the last Friday. 

Thanks. 

Message 19 of 20
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

It's the last business day.  Some of the comments are making it more convuluted than it really needs to be.

@Vulcan1600 wrote:

Curious if maybe I should consider closing this or is the Flexible Spending type card actually not a bad idea.

Even if they worked that way (US Bank and many others do report the limit) your decision shouldn't be based on whether the card is Flexible Spending but your needs/wants and an understanding of the impact to your credit.  See also (linked in the Helpful Threads sticky):

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/fico/board/message?board.id=creditcard&thread.id=117125&jump=true

Keep in mind that you've already taken the hit from the HP and the hit your AAoA by opening it.

Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.