Reply
Super Contributor
enharu
Posts: 6,913
Registered: ‎02-27-2013
0

Re: US Bank Cash Plus

[ Edited ]

Just to reconfirm, my statement just cut today and there's indeed no cap on 5%:

Bonus-Drug Store, Restaurants, Bookstore $156.22

 

Anyone knows when will the cap be implemented? I called US Bank again, but the CSRs doesn't seem to know.

Big thanks to longtimelurker especially!

Wish I had known about this earlier lol.

 

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Established Contributor
FutureBillionaire
Posts: 642
Registered: ‎12-12-2012
0

Re: US Bank Cash Plus


enharu wrote:

Just to reconfirm, my statement just cut today and there's indeed no cap on 5%:

Bonus-Drug Store, Restaurants, Bookstore $156.22

 

Anyone knows when will the cap be implemented? I called US Bank again, but the CSRs doesn't seem to know.

Big thanks to longtimelurker especially!

Wish I had known about this earlier lol.

 


I will stop by my branch and ask.  I have the exact same categories, btw.  I actually burn through my unlimited drugstore category more often.

Gas: Discover It, Penfed Platinum Rewards x2, Chase freedom, Citi TYP
Plane tickets: CSP
Groceries: AMEX BCP, Penfed Platinum Rewards,Citi TYP
Clothes: Express, Amex BCP, Discover IT
Amazon: Citi Forward, Cash +
Restaurants: Citi Forward, Chase Freedom, Discover IT, CSP
Hotels and other travel: Discover Escape, CSP
Movies: BofA travel rewards visa signature(fandango), Discover IT, Citi Forward, Freedom
Bars, clubs, tomfoolery: CSP, Citi Forward, Discover IT, Freedom
Balance transfers: Kroger 123 rewards
Bill Pay: Chase Ink Plus, Citi Forward,
Everyday spending: Bofa Accelerated cash rewards amex, Discover Escape
Contributor
darkpearl
Posts: 82
Registered: ‎03-22-2012
0

Re: US Bank Cash Plus

Ugh I didn't get a $10 reward credit. I got my card in 2012. I guess we'll have to see....

Amex BCE $14.9k --- Cap1 QS $10.5k --- US Bank Cash+ $9.5k --- Target RedCard $300
New Visitor
Solomon
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎10-26-2013
0

Re: US Bank Cash Plus (Categories)

I want to ask people about the categories that one uses for this card.  I have aggregated the types of card to use for specific categories according to the maximum percentage of cash back per card.  But my question is what categories does one pick for the US Bank Cash+?

 

I have picked 2% back on Groceries, 5% on Restaurants, and 5% back at the movies.  I also understand that this is a higher APR credit card so I am paying off my full balance each month.

 

Cards with better percentages per category:

 

1. Gas: 
a. Discover It - 5% Up to $1,500 (Jul-Sep)
b. Penfed Platinum Cash Rewards x2 - 5% Unlimited
c. Chase freedom - 5% Up to $1500 (Jan-Mar)
d. Citi Thank You Preferred – 5 points for first year, 1 point after 

2. Plane tickets: 
a. Chase Sapphire Preferred – Earn 2x points per dollar / 80 pts = $1 cash back

3. Groceries: 
a. AMEX BCP - 6% Up to $6,000, 1% after
b. Penfed Platinum Rewards – 3 points Up to 12/31/13, 2 points after
c. Citi Thank You Preferred – 5 points for first year, 1 point after 

4. Clothes:
a. Amex Blue Cash Preferred – 3% Up to $6,000
b. Discover IT - 5% Up to $1,500 (Oct-Dec) Online, 1% Other
c. US Bank Cash + - 5% Cash Unlimited Back on Department Stores (Pick 2 Categories)

5. Amazon: 
a. Citi Forward – 5 pts for every $1 / 160 pts = $1 cash back
b. US Bank Cash + - 5% Cash Back Unlimited at Bookstores (Pick 2 Categories)

6. Restaurants: 
a. Citi Forward - 5 pts for every $1 / 160 pts = $1 cash back 
b. Chase Freedom 5% Up to $1,500 (Apr-Jun)
c. Discover IT - 5% Up to $1,500 (Jan-Mar)
d. Chase Sapphire Preferred - Earn 2x points per dollar / 80 pts = $1 cash back

7. Hotels and other travel: 
a. Discover Escape
b. Chase Sapphire Preferred - Earn 2x points per dollar / 80 pts = $1 cash back

8. Movies: 
a. Discover IT - 5% Up to $1,500 (Jan-Mar)
b. Citi Forward - 5 pts for every $1 / 160 pts = $1 cash back
c. Chase Freedom 5% Up to $1,500 (Apr-Jun)
d. US Bank Cash + - 5% Cash Back Unlimited at Movies (Pick 2 Categories)

9. Bars, clubs: 
a. Chase Sapphire Preferred - Earn 2x points per dollar / 80 pts = $1 cash back
b. Citi Forward - 5 pts for every $1 / 160 pts = $1 cash back
c. Discover IT - 5% Up to $1,500 (Jan-Mar)
d. Chase Freedom - 5% Up to $1,500 (Apr-Jun)

10. Balance transfers: 

11. Bill Pay/Utilities: 
a. Chase Ink Plus – 5x per $1 (on cell phone, landline, internet and cable TV services) / 80 pts = $1 Travel Rewards
b. US Bank Cash + - 5% Cash back (on Cell Phone)

12. Everyday spending: 
a. Bank of America Accelerated Cash Rewards AMEX – 1.25 points per $1 
b. Discover Escape – 2 miles points per $1 / 200 mile points = $1 Cash

Super Contributor
longtimelurker
Posts: 6,840
Registered: ‎04-22-2013
0

Re: US Bank Cash Plus (Categories)

Not quite sure where the selection is coming from!   So for everyday spending, Quicksilver gives 1.5%, Fidelity Amex gives 2%, which are better than your examples.

For the Forward, the points are less than 1:1 only if you don't have a card like the TY Preferred, or if you are not redeeming for the best rewards ($100 gift cards, student/mortgage loans).

 

And while LOVE my 5x TYP, it is no longer available so probably shouldn't be listed.

 

And finally, it depends how you value points as well, so CSP advocates wouldn't use 1% cash back, they would convert them to partner programs at a much higher value.

Most active cards: Amex BC ($50K), Cap One QS ($33K) Fidelity Amex ($20K)
Others: CSP, Freedom, Chase Amazon, Cap One QS, Penfed Plat Rewards (x2), Citi Double Cash, Citi Dividend, Citi AA Plat Select, Citi Forward, Amex BCE, Amalgamated Bank, Sallie Mae, Cash Plus
Scores May 14: EQ 848, EX 833, TU 848 (Sep)
Valued Contributor
Themanwhocan
Posts: 1,579
Registered: ‎04-04-2013
0

Re: US Bank Cash Plus


FutureBillionaire wrote:

enharu wrote:

Just to reconfirm, my statement just cut today and there's indeed no cap on 5%:

Bonus-Drug Store, Restaurants, Bookstore $156.22

 

Anyone knows when will the cap be implemented? I called US Bank again, but the CSRs doesn't seem to know.

Big thanks to longtimelurker especially!

Wish I had known about this earlier lol.

 


I will stop by my branch and ask.  I have the exact same categories, btw.  I actually burn through my unlimited drugstore category more often.


Thats why I plan to get a Huntington Voice card. My 3% category selection would be either Drugstores or Utilities (if that covers cable tv and internet).

 


Super Contributor
longtimelurker
Posts: 6,840
Registered: ‎04-22-2013
0

Re: US Bank Cash Plus


Themanwhocan wrote:

FutureBillionaire wrote:

enharu wrote:

Just to reconfirm, my statement just cut today and there's indeed no cap on 5%:

Bonus-Drug Store, Restaurants, Bookstore $156.22

 

Anyone knows when will the cap be implemented? I called US Bank again, but the CSRs doesn't seem to know.

Big thanks to longtimelurker especially!

Wish I had known about this earlier lol.

 


I will stop by my branch and ask.  I have the exact same categories, btw.  I actually burn through my unlimited drugstore category more often.


Thats why I plan to get a Huntington Voice card. My 3% category selection would be either Drugstores or Utilities (if that covers cable tv and internet).

 


Yes, I'm looking at that for groceries to supplement BCP and Sallie Mae, but I'm a little wary as it is points card, and could easily nerf into less than 1:1

Most active cards: Amex BC ($50K), Cap One QS ($33K) Fidelity Amex ($20K)
Others: CSP, Freedom, Chase Amazon, Cap One QS, Penfed Plat Rewards (x2), Citi Double Cash, Citi Dividend, Citi AA Plat Select, Citi Forward, Amex BCE, Amalgamated Bank, Sallie Mae, Cash Plus
Scores May 14: EQ 848, EX 833, TU 848 (Sep)
Valued Contributor
Themanwhocan
Posts: 1,579
Registered: ‎04-04-2013
0

Re: US Bank Cash Plus


longtimelurker wrote:

Themanwhocan wrote:

FutureBillionaire wrote:

enharu wrote:

Just to reconfirm, my statement just cut today and there's indeed no cap on 5%:

Bonus-Drug Store, Restaurants, Bookstore $156.22

 

Anyone knows when will the cap be implemented? I called US Bank again, but the CSRs doesn't seem to know.

Big thanks to longtimelurker especially!

Wish I had known about this earlier lol.

 


I will stop by my branch and ask.  I have the exact same categories, btw.  I actually burn through my unlimited drugstore category more often.


Thats why I plan to get a Huntington Voice card. My 3% category selection would be either Drugstores or Utilities (if that covers cable tv and internet).

 


Yes, I'm looking at that for groceries to supplement BCP and Sallie Mae, but I'm a little wary as it is points card, and could easily nerf into less than 1:1


Is there any rule that says you can't have both a BCP and a BCE?


New Contributor
melbaro
Posts: 89
Registered: ‎08-03-2012
0

Re: US Bank Cash Plus


Themanwhocan wrote:

longtimelurker wrote:

Themanwhocan wrote:

FutureBillionaire wrote:

enharu wrote:

Just to reconfirm, my statement just cut today and there's indeed no cap on 5%:

Bonus-Drug Store, Restaurants, Bookstore $156.22

 

Anyone knows when will the cap be implemented? I called US Bank again, but the CSRs doesn't seem to know.

Big thanks to longtimelurker especially!

Wish I had known about this earlier lol.

 


I will stop by my branch and ask.  I have the exact same categories, btw.  I actually burn through my unlimited drugstore category more often.


Thats why I plan to get a Huntington Voice card. My 3% category selection would be either Drugstores or Utilities (if that covers cable tv and internet).

 


Yes, I'm looking at that for groceries to supplement BCP and Sallie Mae, but I'm a little wary as it is points card, and could easily nerf into less than 1:1


Is there any rule that says you can't have both a BCP and a BCE?


I don't think so. I just converted my SPG to a BCE and I already have a BCE. I ended up closing the original one due to the CL on the former SPG being higher, but I had to initiate that request. So I would assume no problem with having a BCE and a BCP.

Super Contributor
longtimelurker
Posts: 6,840
Registered: ‎04-22-2013
0

Re: US Bank Cash Plus

I had considered trying for a BCE but, apart from my concern about points, Voice is better as it goes up to $8K.  Now I guess I could try to get another BCP to get the 6%

 

(For other reasons, I intend to app for the 6 month 5% EDS TD and WF cards at various times, which include uncapped supermarket at 5%, so I want to minimize other apps e.g. for things like BCE which might be rejected and anyway, not as useful.)

Most active cards: Amex BC ($50K), Cap One QS ($33K) Fidelity Amex ($20K)
Others: CSP, Freedom, Chase Amazon, Cap One QS, Penfed Plat Rewards (x2), Citi Double Cash, Citi Dividend, Citi AA Plat Select, Citi Forward, Amex BCE, Amalgamated Bank, Sallie Mae, Cash Plus
Scores May 14: EQ 848, EX 833, TU 848 (Sep)

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+