Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US Bank Cash+ VS card?

tag
galahad15
Valued Contributor

US Bank Cash+ VS card?

So I promised myself earlier that after the AA they pulled on me during CARD Act (RJ from 9.99% V to 19.99% V; opted out and closed the card to keep the existing rate which has since been PIF), that I would never do business again with US Bank, lol.  However, after randomly browsing their current credit cards page, I was intrigued by the Cash+ VS card, since according to a US Bank chat rep, card members who are approved get to choose two 5% quarterly rotating categories and one 2% everyday category.  What I found particularly interesting is that unlike the Chase Freedom and Discover IT cards whose quarterly categories regularly rotate monthly, the US Bank chat rep said that for the Cash+ card, members have the option of retaining their 2 chosen 5% quarterly categories from quarter to quarter.  Also the no-AF feature was nice.  I tried searching the forum for more info and threads of the Cash+ card, but wasn't able to find much info so far?  If anyone has the card here, are they happy with it and have they had good experiences with it, etc.?  And does anyone know if you need to have super-prime credit scores of like 750+ to be able qualify for it?

Admittedly, the only one thing I didn't enjoy too much about the card is that the APR was a bit higher than my ideal range, but I guess that is really just par for the course, for a rewards card that offers benefits this generous?

Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
satasat360
Regular Contributor

Re: US Bank Cash+ VS card?

@galahad15 wrote:

So I promised myself earlier that after the AA they pulled on me during CARD Act (RJ from 9.99% V to 19.99% V; opted out and closed the card to keep the existing rate which has since been PIF), that I would never do business again with US Bank, lol.  However, after randomly browsing their current credit cards page, I was intrigued by the Cash+ VS card, since according to a US Bank chat rep, card members who are approved get to choose two 5% quarterly rotating categories and one 2% everyday category.  What I found particularly interesting is that unlike the Chase Freedom and Discover IT cards whose quarterly categories regularly rotate monthly, the US Bank chat rep said that for the Cash+ card, members have the option of retaining their 2 chosen 5% quarterly categories from quarter to quarter.  Also the no-AF feature was nice.  I tried searching the forum for more info and threads of the Cash+ card, but wasn't able to find much info so far?  If anyone has the card here, are they happy with it and have they had good experiences with it, etc.?  And does anyone know if you need to have super-prime credit scores of like 750+ to be able qualify for it?

Admittedly, the only one thing I didn't enjoy too much about the card is that the APR was a bit higher than my ideal range, but I guess that is really just par for the course, for a rewards card that offers benefits this generous?

I have this card and I believe US Bank used my mortgage TU score for my approval which was 703 at the time of approval and my apr is 18.99 (now its 19.24). I'm happy with it because i'm getting 5% back on my cell phone bills and also i chose fast food category for the quarters in which i dont get 5% CB on my discover it or chase freedom.

Also you can choose two 5% categories every quarter along with a 2% category.  I have attached the 5% and 2% categories image.usb.PNG

Starting Score: 669
Current Score: 777
Goal Score: 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 23
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

I love the card for most things it's my go to card.
Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 3 of 23
galahad15
Valued Contributor

Thanks satasat360!  Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 23
JustBPatient
Established Contributor

The 5% categories are decent, the 2% are standard fare.  UsBank is a conservative lender so most apps are manually reviewed.  However once you are in, they grow pretty well with usage.  Good luck!!

Amex Gold =Amex ED 20k = Amex BCP 14k = Amex SPG Lux 2k = Arrival 2k = Ring 14k = BOA 321 30k = BOA BBR 10k = CSR 25k = Freedom 10k = Citi Simplicity 9k = Citi DC 5k = Citi DP 3k = DCVR IT 16k = DCVR IT(2) 10k = CAP1 QS 15k = NFCU CR24k/AE25k/CLOC 15k = BBVA 14k = Wells Plat. 5k = (2) US Bank Cash+ 13k, 18k = PenFed 17k

FICO scores TU 764 EX 739 EQ 745
Message 5 of 23
galahad15
Valued Contributor

@JustBPatient wrote:

The 5% categories are decent, the 2% are standard fare.  UsBank is a conservative lender so most apps are manually reviewed.  However once you are in, they grow pretty well with usage.  Good luck!!

Thanks for the helpful info!  Since they are a conservative lender, does anyone know if USBank might hypothetically be open to possibly approving someone with 26% total util across all cards, but also with a perfect payment history and no baddies at all ever?  Just curious...b/c of my total util, if I did app, I would prolly maybe wait until I have paid down more of my revolving balances I guess?

ETA:  FWIW, ~95% of my revolving balances are at 0% promos atm.

Message 6 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Potential down side is that if they don't approve you for $5k then they'll issue a lower tier card. I got mine about a year ago @$5k and a couple months ago got a CLI to $7.5k. I had my rewards sweeping into my savings until someone here said if you redeem $100 or $125 in a shot there's something extra (but I don't remember what). I'm almost there, so I guess I'll see.

If you try to maximize scores/minimize util keep in mind they report end of month regardless of when statement cuts.

Overall I haven't gotten into a groove with this and I often second guess the categories. There's almost a downside to having the choice, cause you can choose wrong. A quarter is a long time.
Message 7 of 23
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Personally, I have the card, but can't really recommend it except for specific instances. Most of the 5 percent categories are pretty specific, and many of them are things you probably rarely buy and/or don't need a dedicated card for. It's good for fast food and bookstores, but there's other broader dining cards and plenty of bookstore/Amazon options out there.

I was excited to get it but honestly it doesn't get used that much.
Message 8 of 23
Sharingan
Established Contributor

I really enjoy having the U.S. Bank Cash+. Even as the card continued to be stripped down over the years, it's always been a must-have in my lineup. I use mine solely for the 5% fast food restaurants and 5% Amazon.com. I hate the idea of having the Amazon Prime store card because I don't like store cards, especially those without a major network backing, so a combination of the Cash+ and Sallie Mae cards are able to satisfy that need. As far as the underwriting, initially, U.S. Bank was the most difficult lender for me to get in with without a doubt. Once I did get in, however, the auto CLIs and approvals for other products came quite easily. They are one of my favorite banks to do business with. I believe I was around 734 according to the TU model they used for my application for the Cash+, which was definitely much lower than other TU models I've seen for other banks. I don't even remember what my APR is because it's irrelevant to me and I don't really care what it is.

Applications are mostly manually reviewed, but there's a screen that may appear during the application process after you hit submit that will somewhat indicate which way your application is leaning. Anytime I am asked about adding AUs or BTs to "my card," it has always resulted in an approval for U.S. Bank/Elan products. I'm not sure if they've revamped the application process since then, however.

Message 9 of 23
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

@galahad15 wrote:

I have two of these.

I know of at least one more member (Themanwhocan) who has two as well.

I use them primarily for Car Rental, Cell Phone, and Fast Food (5%) unless they are getting covered by either Freedom or Discover.

Otherwise I put movies / department store / clothing store on them. 

I rack up $250 or so per card in a year. You can get more depending on your spend. Check out the categories to see if they suit your needs.

Till 2014 they covered restaurants too. That was terrific. But even now it's pretty cool.

Though you can carry forward the same categories, you must enroll individually before each quarter, otherwise the card resets automatically. So there's that one step. However, if you plan to make a big purchase, e.g. computer or furniture, it'll be a good idea to plan ahead and set the corresponding categories. You have more freedom Smiley Tongue

US Bank is pretty conservative. I had their REI card for a year before I got the first Cash+. Between the two cards, my scores went up a 100 points. I'd recommend at least 720 before applying.

It's also a good idea to freeze the auxiliary reports before applying. Search for US Bank IDA / ARS freezing. They're nuts about new applications and track for inquiries across multiple credit reports. Their manual underwriting can take up to 10 days (it did for my first Cash+).

My second card was a borderline approval $5k while the first one was $8.5k even though I think I was at 720 the first time vs 740 the second time. It's probably to do with the number of new accounts. I got the first one in Oct 2014 and the second one in Jun 2015.

Another thing : if they don't approve you for $5k, they automatically push the app for a lower tier card. You lose the sign up bonus of $100 straightaway. But you have a decent chance if you get $3.5k or above. US Bank generally gives SP CLI if applied online (link available in this forum but not on the bank's online account page) after 6 months if you request no more than $1.5k. For safety, I always keep my reports frozen, but the SP CLI has been corroborated by others too. Once at $5k, you can ask for a PC to the Cash+.

The final good thing about the card is that you can get another $25 bonus by redeeming $100 or more in one shot, the first time you do so. It used to work more times than that, but got nerfed. Still, $125 not bad for the bonus.

Now if you are a stickler for APR, US Bank is notorious for not reducing the APR later on. I don't really care because I don't carry a balance.

One final thing: you may know it already but US Bank reports on the last business day of the month instead of the statement cut day. In case you are micromanaging your utilization, you may want to keep this in mind.

Hope it helps.

Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.