cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US Bank Cash+ downsell Cash Rewards

tag
ja1391

Re: US Bank Cash+ downsell Cash Rewards

I called the underwriting department and the guy told me that the system automatically downgrades the application if I don't have 5 years of credit history and/or 5-10 credit lines open. He said the options I have are to 1)call the cardmember service to see if I qualify for an upgrade or 2)re-apply and get a credit analyst to look over it manually. Otherwise I can only wait the 6 months... 

He said there's nothing he can do once the card has been approved.. is that true? or should I call back and push harder and speak to a supervisor?

Message 11 of 70
JonStur
Established Contributor

I think you should just stick it out for the six months, then ask for an increase and a PC....

Starting Score: TU 595 EX 600 EQ 585
Current Score: TU 820 EX 825 EQ 812
Goal Score: 800 Club (Mission Accomplished)

Amex Platinum, Amex BCP $17.5K, 5/3 Sig $10K, Capital One Quicksilver 15K, Walmart 10K, US Bank Cash+ 15K, Sam's Club 10K, Chase Freedom $6K, Discover More $15K, Chase United Club MileagePlus $33K, Costco $6K, CapOne Quicksilver One $7K, Cap One Quicksilver $5K, Amazon $3K, Barclays $12.5K, Home Depot $7.5K, AppleCard $6K
Message 12 of 70
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

definitely ask for the CLI first... I just made the mistake of requesting the PC to Cash+ first, then after receiving the card I submitted the online form for a CLI. It was denied saying I had a credit increase in the past 6 months. I'll try calling and arguing this when I have some free time, but its best if you can avoid that hassle.

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 13 of 70
Brax
Frequent Contributor

@fedxboy wrote:

Recently, they sent me a pre-qualifed letter with a confirmation code for a US Bank Cash+ Sig card, with a $100 one-time new card bonus for spending $500 in 3 months, 0% for a year on purchases and BT's, then 18.99.    Well, I know I have too many inq's now and too many new opened accounts.....Smiley Mad

You can use that pre-qualified letter for the Cash+ to PC your existing card. That's what they did for me last month, CSR saw the offer when I called in.

How long ago was the manual review CLI for a HP on Transunion? With your CL still at $3500, you may want to try that process once again to get the CL above $5000 before taking the offer to PC to Cash+.

Message 14 of 70
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

OH, and while I did wait 6 months before requesting a PC for my first Cash+ card, I waited only 4 months to request my second US Bank card be switched to a cash+.

So keep the card, and every month start calling the number on the back of the card, select 'change card' when given that option. then when you speak to someone just say you want to know if your card is eligible to become a cash+. Its really just as simple as that.

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 15 of 70
vagrants
Regular Contributor

@ja1391 wrote:

I called the underwriting department and the guy told me that the system automatically downgrades the application if I don't have 5 years of credit history and/or 5-10 credit lines open. He said the options I have are to 1)call the cardmember service to see if I qualify for an upgrade or 2)re-apply and get a credit analyst to look over it manually. Otherwise I can only wait the 6 months... 

He said there's nothing he can do once the card has been approved.. is that true? or should I call back and push harder and speak to a supervisor?

I found out that US Bank screwed me. I thought I applied for the Cash+ last week on the phone. The Card arrived today, and I found that I got a US Bank College VISA...I'm not a student...they did not need a student ID verification like Citi Forward does. And a couple days ago, I received a funny alert from Creditkarma about my employment data has changed...it all made sense when I got this card. I haven't pulled a CR from TU, but I need to verify my suspicion.

Anyway, I talked to several people, 1x from the web site (I think 1-800-US-BANKS), 2x from the underwriting, 1x from the reported backdoor (it seemed it wasn't EO...just corporate...she forwarded me to the underwriting dept), 1x from the application dapartment. I was told the same story about once the card has been approved, there is nothign they can do. However, if the product is different, I can apply for another using the inq they pulled (no 100% gurantee, the underwrting lady told me. She said 9 out of 10, they use the same inq within 30-days). So, I applied for the Cash+ "again"...but I kind of think I won't be approved. On this College VISA, I was granted $1k CL...if I get denied on the second application, I can only hope the lady takes care of the CLI on the day 31 and send an upgrade "request". By the way, applying on the phone is difficult for whatever reason. Even after the underwriting dept lady talked to the guy at the application department, he told me I was applying for the 1% one. I had to make sure I'm applying for the Cash+ 3x or something like that.

AMEX Cash Rebate (this isn't Costco, older version of Blue Cash), AMEX Blue Cash, AMEX BCP, AMEX SPG (personal), Barclay Sallie Mae Plat MC, BBVA Compass NBA AMEX (No AF), Capital One QuickSilver VISA Sig, Capital One QuickSilver World MC, 2x Chase Freedom VISA Sig, Chase Ink Bold World Elite MC, Citi Dividend AMEX/World MC, Citi Double Cash, Citi Hilton VISA Sig, Discover More, Discover It, Fidelity AMEX, Huntington Voice World MC, MyPoints Rewards VISA, 2x US Bank Cash+ VISA Sig
Message 16 of 70
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

You better keep that phat credit line! Just barely use it to teach them a lesson!
Pack of gum and pif anyone? ;-) lol
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 17 of 70
thelethargicage
Valued Contributor

Don't close it! Just wait 4-6 months and ask to upgrade to the Cash+. With a limit like that, you're a shoo-in for the upgrade. Trust me, that's what I did.

Message 18 of 70
vagrants
Regular Contributor

@youngandcreditwrthy wrote:
You better keep that phat credit line! Just barely use it to teach them a lesson!
Pack of gum and pif anyone? ;-) lol

I really don't know what to do with this College VISA...I wasn't gonna activate at all and let it fall off by itself. And, if I don't get Cash+ this time, I get a chance for the 1% one...and in my mind I get approved for that one (according to their letter, they used TU04 and I have a score of 725...but with Cash+ they might use TU08 or something).

I learned that if something like this happens, the customer service is suprior at Chase or AMEX. A phone call to the EO takes care of this kind of thing. I wish I knew the US Bank EO # if it exists.

AMEX Cash Rebate (this isn't Costco, older version of Blue Cash), AMEX Blue Cash, AMEX BCP, AMEX SPG (personal), Barclay Sallie Mae Plat MC, BBVA Compass NBA AMEX (No AF), Capital One QuickSilver VISA Sig, Capital One QuickSilver World MC, 2x Chase Freedom VISA Sig, Chase Ink Bold World Elite MC, Citi Dividend AMEX/World MC, Citi Double Cash, Citi Hilton VISA Sig, Discover More, Discover It, Fidelity AMEX, Huntington Voice World MC, MyPoints Rewards VISA, 2x US Bank Cash+ VISA Sig
Message 19 of 70
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@vagrants wrote:

@ja1391 wrote:

I found out that US Bank screwed me. I thought I applied for the Cash+ last week on the phone. The Card arrived today, and I found that I got a US Bank College VISA...I'm not a student...they did not need a student ID verification like Citi Forward does. And a couple days ago, I received a funny alert from Creditkarma about my employment data has changed...it all made sense when I got this card. I haven't pulled a CR from TU, but I need to verify my suspicion.

Anyway, I talked to several people, 1x from the web site (I think 1-800-US-BANKS), 2x from the underwriting, 1x from the reported backdoor (it seemed it wasn't EO...just corporate...she forwarded me to the underwriting dept), 1x from the application dapartment. I was told the same story about once the card has been approved, there is nothign they can do. However, if the product is different, I can apply for another using the inq they pulled (no 100% gurantee, the underwrting lady told me. She said 9 out of 10, they use the same inq within 30-days). So, I applied for the Cash+ "again"...but I kind of think I won't be approved. On this College VISA, I was granted $1k CL...if I get denied on the second application, I can only hope the lady takes care of the CLI on the day 31 and send an upgrade "request". By the way, applying on the phone is difficult for whatever reason. Even after the underwriting dept lady talked to the guy at the application department, he told me I was applying for the 1% one. I had to make sure I'm applying for the Cash+ 3x or something like that.

AFAIK, the Cash+ cannot be applied by over the phone.  That option used to be available a while back.  You would need to do this at a US Bank branch.  Some folks get around the US Bank footprint restriction by doing a PC to whichever CC they may have (also depending on elegibility).  However, if you only qualified fo $1K on the College Visa, then your chances may be slim to get the Cash+.  It is a Signature level tier with a minimum CL of $5K.

Message 20 of 70
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.