Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US Bank Cash+ downsell Cash Rewards

tag
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

Re: US Bank Cash+ downsell Cash Rewards

Sorry, I thought the link would have taken you to the correct place. The seond paragraph under choosing a card.

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Fortera FCU State Department FCU Pelican CU

Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 31 of 70
vagrants
Regular Contributor

@AndySoCal wrote:

DID you read this on their web site about the card. Notice the second paragraph choosing

https://www.usbank.com/credit-cards/cash-plus-signature.html 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry, I thought the link would have taken you to the correct place. The seond paragraph under choosing a card

Thanks!

"If you do not qualify for the U.S. Bank Cash+ Visa Signature Card, you will automatically be considered for the U.S. Bank Cash Rewards Visa Card that earns 1% cash back on all net purchases, but does not offer the 5% and 2% Cash+ Categories or the $25 Cash+ Bonus once per calendar year."

I am aware of that paragraph. As I already mentioned, what I'm upset about is they gave me College VISA. It has nothing to do with Cash Rewards VISA or Cash+. With the experience I had with them, it seems like they are purposely misleading the customer. And, it seems like they are making the customer apply for a CC one after another.

By the way, I was going to hide this for a while, but I made a complain to the CFPB yesterday. The CL was bumped to $5k from $1k without waiting 31 days...but still College VISA. Calling the US Bank what's going on.

Called the US Bank, I can't remember which phone number I used, entered the College VISA # (not yet activated), press 0 and spoke with a CSR lady. For an upgrade, there is no way around of 30-day clause, I was told. However, an upgrade request is already in the system apparently.

Called the underwriting dept (1-800-947-1444), auto told me that there is no application exisit under my SSN. Called the 1-800-715-2922 see what's going on with the second application for the Cash+. The CSR guy started to say that your Flexperks application status is...I interrupted the CSR since Cash+ doesn't have "Flexperks" title. I found that Cash+ is considered Flexperks (cash/point rewards). Apparently, I was approved for the Cash+...I didn't ask for the CL...my stance is I believe it once I see it...the CSR said the card should be in my hand in 7 - 10 business days. The CSR guy also told me about the phone/internet application for the Cash+. He said the same thing what the member, FinStar, said. If no prior relationship or without "assistance" from an US Bank banker, can't apply for the Cash+.

@navigatethis12 wrote:

This not true in my experience. The only time it was the same inquiry was when I applied for an Elan and a US Bank at the same time. I applied for multiple ones in a thirty day period and an inquiry was done for each one.

Thanks! Good to know. How typical of the CSR...make sounds too good to be true. In my case (I guess extraordinary situation), they haven't pull the second HP...yet. They sent me a letter about they pulled TU for the first application, but they failed to mention that they also pulled EQ...I pulled my CR using the AMEX CreditSecure Unlimited. That cost me $25, so on the CFPB complain, I slapped that in. The US Bank hasn't corrected or put the employment data back to what it was yet.

Oh, by the way, when I entered the College VISA # for the CFPB complain (the form asked for it...and looked like mandatory), the card # was automatically recognized as US Bancorp. I had to manually change it to US Bank.

AMEX Cash Rebate (this isn't Costco, older version of Blue Cash), AMEX Blue Cash, AMEX BCP, AMEX SPG (personal), Barclay Sallie Mae Plat MC, BBVA Compass NBA AMEX (No AF), Capital One QuickSilver VISA Sig, Capital One QuickSilver World MC, 2x Chase Freedom VISA Sig, Chase Ink Bold World Elite MC, Citi Dividend AMEX/World MC, Citi Double Cash, Citi Hilton VISA Sig, Discover More, Discover It, Fidelity AMEX, Huntington Voice World MC, MyPoints Rewards VISA, 2x US Bank Cash+ VISA Sig
Message 32 of 70
Anonymous
Not applicable

What a challenge! Contacted US Bank and asked them what part of Flexperks Card didn't I understand. They said what? I asked when the US Bank Cash+ Visa Signature Card became part of the Flexperks family? They said it is not. I checked my account on line, my card disclosures and all twelve statements I have since getting the card and nothing referred to it as a member of the Flexperks family. They did offer me a p/c to the US Bank Flex Perks Travel Rewards Visa Signature Card and I declined (a good card but I don't travel enough to pay for the AF). My findings is US Bank CR's just don't get enough training or something. I went into the US Bank Branch and saw a Personal Banker to get the right answers and they stayed the course on finding me the right answers. I told them after three contacts with their telephone bankers and I was disgusted (actually I was damn mad) over their total lack of knowledge and that they were clueless. Truth, sometimes we should be able to speak directly with the underwriters. Eliminate the middle person and get it fixed. A college visa... how can that be confused with a US Bank Cash + Visa Signature Card?

Message 33 of 70
vagrants
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
What a challenge! Contacted US Bank and asked them what part of Flexperks Card didn't I understand. They said what? I asked when the US Bank Cash+ Visa Signature Card became part of the Flexperks family? They said it is not. I checked my account on line, my card disclosures and all twelve statements I have since getting the card and nothing referred to it as a member of the Flexperks family. They did offer me a p/c to the US Bank Flex Perks Travel Rewards Visa Signature Card and I declined (a good card but I don't travel enough to pay for the AF). My findings is US Bank CR's just don't get enough training or something. I went into the US Bank Branch and saw a Personal Banker to get the right answers and they stayed the course on finding me the right answers. I told them after three contacts with their telephone bankers I was disgusted (actually I was damn mad).

I think what the CSR guy meant wasn't a member of Flexperks literally. What he meant was Flexperks = something to do with rewards. Nothing more (I hope...or I get another non-Cash+ CC from them).

And, yes. Like you and another member mentioned, phone CSRs might give significant stress with this bank. I'm nervous again, I'm calling back.

I called 1-800-715-2922 again...I had a lady this time. The lady said the same thing as the guy said. Flexperks = something to do with travel rewards/cashbacks. I asked for the Cash+. She said the card is on its way. I asked for the CL. She was unable to tell me (sounds fishy...sigh).

AMEX Cash Rebate (this isn't Costco, older version of Blue Cash), AMEX Blue Cash, AMEX BCP, AMEX SPG (personal), Barclay Sallie Mae Plat MC, BBVA Compass NBA AMEX (No AF), Capital One QuickSilver VISA Sig, Capital One QuickSilver World MC, 2x Chase Freedom VISA Sig, Chase Ink Bold World Elite MC, Citi Dividend AMEX/World MC, Citi Double Cash, Citi Hilton VISA Sig, Discover More, Discover It, Fidelity AMEX, Huntington Voice World MC, MyPoints Rewards VISA, 2x US Bank Cash+ VISA Sig
Message 34 of 70
RemyWinchester
Contributor

I really hope that was a joke about filing a complaint with the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau... I feel bad for whomever gets that complaint and has their time wasted. 

Message 35 of 70
JonStur
Established Contributor

Sorry for your experiences. I think its easier when you have an established relationship with them. I had been a customer for four years when they began calling me, (recognized their 800 #). When my GF finally persuaded me to talk to them on a Sat. morning, they told me I qualified for Flex Perks no hard pull. Four years later they pc'd me to the Cash+, and also gave me a LOC, both with no HP..

Starting Score: TU 595 EX 600 EQ 585
Current Score: TU 820 EX 825 EQ 812
Goal Score: 800 Club (Mission Accomplished)

Amex Platinum, Amex BCP $17.5K, 5/3 Sig $10K, Capital One Quicksilver 15K, Walmart 10K, US Bank Cash+ 15K, Sam's Club 10K, Chase Freedom $6K, Discover More $15K, Chase United Club MileagePlus $33K, Costco $6K, CapOne Quicksilver One $7K, Cap One Quicksilver $5K, Amazon $3K, Barclays $12.5K, Home Depot $7.5K, AppleCard $6K
Message 36 of 70
vagrants
Regular Contributor

@RemyWinchester wrote:

I really hope that was a joke about filing a complaint with the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau... I feel bad for whomever gets that complaint and has their time wasted. 

They wasted my time as well. And, no, it wasn't a joke. If the application dept lady told me that I can't apply for it over the phone, that was that. She didn't have to apply me for College VISA. Plus, the guy CSR I talked with today. He said that the College VISA is for under the age of 25...I'm well over that age. I made a complain under the ground of unsolicited credit card issurance.

Thanks, JonStur. I should have just gone to a branch...it's about 1 hr away from me.

CreditKarma just sent me an alert. There it is. A new INQ from the US Bank. I wonder they also pulled the EQ since that's what they've done before for the College VISA. They are full of it. I might make a complain to the CFPB again. This time is for credit bureau issues (separate form from the one I already used).

I just used the AMEX CS Unlimited, no INQ on the EQ.

I had pleasant conversations with the US Bank CSRs (well, being high helped). I called 1-800-490-8440 (https://www.usbank.com/credit-cards/index.html)...I think it's a switch board. I explained the situation, and the CSR lady forwarded me to the credit card department (1-800-445-9934). The CSRs on this department felt different...I felt like I was speaking to Chase EO or AMEX EO (maybe I just got lucky). Anyway, again I explained the situation, it was too much for the front CSR, I was transferred to the supervisor. I explained the situation, plus more...everything I remembered about the conversations with how-many-ever the CSRs I spoke with (yes, I've written some names down...not all)...and suspicions like how in the world a CC that's not even activated can have an instant CLI to $1k to $5k and have an upgrade request to Cash+ (the super confirmed everything....and apprently my new Cash+ is printed yesterday), etc., etc. I was given 2 choices. 1) I dispute the issues with US Bank's credit bureau dept or 2) they are going to go through the recorded conversations expecially the CSR who told me about 9/10. The super made it sounded like the 9/10 CSR wouldn't be in a significant trouble if I take this route...the super even agreed with the 9/10 although didn't put a percentage...I told the super that the latter isn't an option for me. And, asked the super about how to go about disputing though the US Bank credit bureau. The super was very helpful.

So, I'm just gonna let it go. One of the CSR put a note on my account that once the new Cash+ is approved, I'll close the College VISA. But the super told me that it doesn't have to happen if I decide to keep in future. 2x Cash+ for 2 INQ on TU + 1 INQ on EQ, sounds like an equivalent exchange to me. I do want my employment data back to what it was before, so I am going to dispute that though. The very first CSR I spoke with told me that a note or complain or something will be sent to the credit bureau dept (everything that was promised in the conversation came true except the 31 days CLI & the upgrade [the super insisted of 32 days]), so I'm gonna wait a week or 2 before taking any actions.

Message 37 of 70
vagrants
Regular Contributor

I'm posting this, so that I get "points" from members...not making stuffs up...etc., etc. Not a definite proof but hope it's something.

So, I just signed up for the US Bank online banking thing using the non-activated College VISA:

USBank

USBank2

Message 38 of 70
Anonymous
Not applicable

Checked my online US Bank accounts and they look exactly like yours. I noticed you still have to select your 5% and 2% categories. Looks hopeful! The part that says credit cards and shows "--" for available credit is the way my Cash+ Visa looks. The part where it says $5000 would be your College Visa. US Bank only puts the actual credit line amounts in on non-preset spending limits. In my case the Line of Credit.

Message 39 of 70
vagrants
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Checked my online US Bank accounts and they look exactly like yours. I noticed you still have to select your 5% and 2% categories. Looks hopeful! The part that says credit cards and shows "--" for available credit is the way my Cash+ Visa looks. The part where it says $5000 would be your College Visa. US Bank only puts the actual credit line amounts in on non-preset spending limits. In my case the Line of Credit.

Thank you!

Message 40 of 70
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.