Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US Bank Cash+ questions

tag
Poppa
Established Contributor

US Bank Cash+ questions

Can you choose the same 5% category month to month? I read they are replacing Bookstores (Amazon) with Utilities as a 5% category in April. Also, do they do SP CLI's and how often?

FICO SCORE 08 - TU 810 - EX 807

12/15 - First Tradeline - 12/17 - 800 Credit Score - 3/18 - Homeowner
Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: US Bank Cash+ questions

Yes you can pick whichever categories (clarification: you get to pick 2 categorirs for 5% and 1 for 2%) you want as often as you want as long as it's an option. I've had bookstore pretty much non-stop for quite some time.

Not sure about the CLI, never requested one. Off hand I haven't even noticed if they've just given me one cuz it's a non issue for me
Message 2 of 23
Poppa
Established Contributor

I just found that CLI's are every 6 months and SP if $1500 or less.

Message 3 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

As far as I'm aware you can't change month-to-month, only for each quarter. If you're asking about keeping them the same each month, you can definitely do that.

5% on utilities will be awesome because I already get 5% with Amazon through the store card. Kind of excited to find that out.

Message 4 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think that's what he meant but good clarification. And yes, you pick categories once per quarter and once you pick them for that quarter you're locked in. You need to manually pick categories each quarter, even if you're picking the same as last quarter, or you won't get 5% back.

There's only 1 rotating category cash back card I'm aware of that doesn't require you to enroll or pick categories every quarter, and that's the Nusenda Platinum Cash Rewards - you're automatically enrolled every quarter.
Message 5 of 23
Poppa
Established Contributor

Yes sorry I meant the same categories each quarter.

Message 6 of 23
Schwartzinator
Frequent Contributor

wrote:

This is not true, at least not in every case. I started out with a $300 limit on 12/14/2014 and was auto bumped to $550 on 10/6/2015. Then on 8/29/2016 I asked for a $950 increase to bring up to $1,500 and it was a hardpull even though it was submitted at the same time as an application for the FlexPerks. Back in March of this year I managed to get a $3,500 softpull increase after a very long conversation with underwritting as I was closing my FlexPerks card with a $5,700 limit that USBank wouldn't transfer over to the Cash+. 

Message 7 of 23
Poppa
Established Contributor

Is there a sure way of knowing if it will be a HP or SP before the request?

wrote:

wrote:

This is not true, at least not in every case. I asked for a $950 increase to bring up to $1,500 and it was a hardpull.

Message 8 of 23
darkpearl
Regular Contributor

The only time I got a CL it was by mail (letter) invitation with a special URL. Appears it was in 2013. http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Approvals/Cash-auto-CLI/m-p/2541221#M5287

They need to get in the 21st century...

Message 9 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

I called US bank today and talked to the rep about the categories for the card. This is the 2nd time I've spoken with one of their reps and suggested categories for this card: they seem very eager to hear these ideas, especially regarding categories that will generate more spend on the card. I suggested the following categories today:

Insurance
Medical bills
Bookstore (bring it back, but keep utilities: I said I assume they took out bookstore cuz people abuse Amazon with it...the rep told me they took out bookstore because *it wasn't getting used that much!* So speak up people! They need to know that people like this category, I explained it's the only card I know of with a good reward rate for bookstore purchases)
Charity (same as bookstore, not that popular but I used it and it was pretty unique)
Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.