Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US Bank Cash + ?

tag
SMDLiquid
Regular Contributor

US Bank Cash + ?

Why can't you apply online for this card? Seems kind of ridiculous you have to call or go to a branch. 

Chase Freedom | Chase Freedom Unlimited | Chase Hyatt | Chase Sapphire Preferred AU | Amex EDP AU | Amex SPG | Citi Prestige | Citi AAdvantage Executive | AAdvantage Aviator Red |

FICO: Experian 821 | TransUnion 825 | Equifax 830 | Last App: 08/28/2017
Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
cobbson
Regular Contributor

Re: US Bank Cash + ?

@SMDLiquid wrote:

Why can't you apply online for this card? Seems kind of ridiculous you have to call or go to a branch. 

The only thing I can figure out is that it is a marketing tactic so they have the opportunity to sell you other products.

Message 2 of 18
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@cobbson wrote:

@SMDLiquid wrote:

The only thing I can figure out is that it is a marketing tactic so they have the opportunity to sell you other products.

You would think they would do this on other cards if that was the reason.

My guess (still a guess!): this came in when the card was being nerfed, following a period of "abuse" (from their point of view).  They instituted a number of measures, including removing online app  (you used to be able to, that's how I got mine) probably as an extra step to prevent fake applications and give them a chance to assess you.   And it simply never got removed.

I can't remember, but my wife recently got a targetted preapproval, and I think I filled that out online.  

Message 3 of 18
noobody
Established Contributor

Did she get instant approval? Few people do, enen with 800 score.
EX819 1HP|TU797 1HP| EQ(Fico8 BankCard)841
Message 4 of 18
SMDLiquid
Regular Contributor

@cobbson wrote:

@SMDLiquid wrote:

I don't care how great a card is if my only choice is to call or walk into a branch I'm never applying. You would think they are losing out on a lot of potential customers 

Chase Freedom | Chase Freedom Unlimited | Chase Hyatt | Chase Sapphire Preferred AU | Amex EDP AU | Amex SPG | Citi Prestige | Citi AAdvantage Executive | AAdvantage Aviator Red |

FICO: Experian 821 | TransUnion 825 | Equifax 830 | Last App: 08/28/2017
Message 5 of 18
Bman70
Established Contributor

@SMDLiquid wrote:

@cobbson wrote:

@SMDLiquid wrote:

I don't care how great a card is if my only choice is to call or walk into a branch I'm never applying. You would think they are losing out on a lot of potential customers 

I was glad I walked in, they gave me a $75 bonus for opening a checking account and apping. Now the bonus is $150 I think. Certainly worth 20 minutes in branch Smiley Happy

https://www.usbank.com/splash/powerup/index.html

EX 822
TU 834
EQ 820

Message 6 of 18
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@noobody wrote:

No, don't think so.   I remember thinking that one of these days I will have to contact them, and then the card arrived.    When I got mine, back in 2012, the first I knew that I had been approved was a new account alert from maybe Credit Karma!

Message 7 of 18
AMTB
Valued Member

@longtimelurker wrote:

@noobody wrote:

No, don't think so.   I remember thinking that one of these days I will have to contact them, and then the card arrived.    When I got mine, back in 2012, the first I knew that I had been approved was a new account alert from maybe Credit Karma!

so they reported the new TL even before you activate the card?

Message 8 of 18
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@AMTB wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@noobody wrote:

so they reported the new TL even before you activate the card?

Yes, probably because of US Banks report at the end of the month thing.   Activation is just for card security, doesn't impact CRA stuff usually)

Message 9 of 18
vpae
Established Contributor

@Bman70 wrote:

@SMDLiquid wrote:

@cobbson wrote:

@SMDLiquid wrote:

I was glad I walked in, they gave me a $75 bonus for opening a checking account and apping. Now the bonus is $150 I think. Certainly worth 20 minutes in branch Smiley Happy

https://www.usbank.com/splash/powerup/index.html

d0h.. I literally just applied for a checking account like 4 days ago -_-

12/19/19 06/11/20 07/02/20
Total CL: $708,900. Largest CL: Amex Bonvoy Brilliant $70K. Apple Card $40K. Chase Ritz Carlton $35K. Mouseover for individual CLs
Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.