Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US Bank Cash+

tag
Brax
Frequent Contributor

Re: US Bank Cash+

13.99% is a really great APR for the Cash+ given that most prime credit cards with good rewards these days are around ~15% APR for new cardmembers.

My Cash+ APR is 15.99% but this is for an account open 8.5 years! It used to be 7-8% APR before they rate-jacked from the CARD act. When I got an offer in the mail for the Cash+ they wanted to give me a 16.99% APR for the new account so instead I used the offer to PC into the Cash+ at my existing 15.99% APR.

Message 31 of 50
Swapmeet
Valued Contributor

@Brax wrote:

13.99% is a really great APR for the Cash+ given that most prime credit cards with good rewards these days are around ~15% APR for new cardmembers.

My Cash+ APR is 15.99% but this is for an account open 8.5 years! It used to be 7-8% APR before they rate-jacked from the CARD act. When I got an offer in the mail for the Cash+ they wanted to give me a 16.99% APR for the new account so instead I used the offer to PC into the Cash+ at my existing 15.99% APR.

good thinking. My arrival that I just opened is at 14.99, and I thought that was tolerable. But my new TYP is 13.99 too. I am not applying for anything until at least may, but I was thinking about going for a non-chase really low apr bt card whenever I decide to apply for anything else. I usually pif though, so I don't really need one---good to have in an crisis situation. I need to just garden. Thanks for talking me out of it.

My Wallet:
WalMart: ||15k|| USAA Platinum MC: ||26k|| BCE: ||9k|| Chase Freedom Siggy: ||10k|| Discover it: ||6.5k|| SG Visa: ||11k||
USAA World MC: ||23k|| US Bank Cash+ Siggy: ||7.5k|| Citi TYP World MC: ||12k|| Barclays Arrival World MC: ||13k||Citi Double Cash World MC ||25k||Sallie Mae World MC ||18.8k||Fico Scores (3 Fico Monitoring): EQ 751,TU 749, EX 743. Last app: 9-12-14 Sallie
Message 32 of 50
xgac12x
Established Contributor

Would the Cash+ card suit me better than the freedom? I mostly spend in restaurants and gas. (Which I have a sallie Mae card for)
CARDS: CAPONEQUICKSILVERONE - $3,000.00
Message 33 of 50
xgac12x
Established Contributor

The gas at least
CARDS: CAPONEQUICKSILVERONE - $3,000.00
Message 34 of 50
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@xgac12x wrote:
Would the Cash+ card suit me better than the freedom? I mostly spend in restaurants and gas. (Which I have a sallie Mae card for)

Depends!  The advantage of the Cash Plus is that you have fixed categories (with rare adds and deletes), so if you have restaurant spending throughout the year, Cash Plus will always give you the 5% (up to $2000 spend per quarter).  To me, that is worth a lot, I hate the revolvers because you have no control over what categories are chosen, but obviously some people find it useful.

Cash Plus has a higher cap($2000 per quarter vs $1,500) and has a once per year $25 bonus when you redeem $100.

Disadvantages are if you value URs at more than 1c (because you have a card that allows you to transfer them) and/or if you mix fast food and restaurants, as these are different categories for Cash Plus.

But with the Sallie Mae, you are mainly covered for gas, Cash Plus would cover restaurants and give you another dependable 5% category.

So unless UR travel is in your plans, if you can get it, Cash Plus would be better for your spending plans

Message 35 of 50
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Should have added that if you have a Chase Checking account, then the Freedom starts having an advantage with the 10% bonus.   Cash Plus used to offer additional benefits for having a US Bank checking relationship, but that was one of the victims of the Great Nerfing of 2013!

Message 36 of 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah... US Bank Checking and Cash+ customer. Nerfed!
Message 37 of 50
celluloid17
Established Contributor

@acb5456 wrote:
Does the cash+ offer 0% interest for X amount of months offer when you're approved?

I was just approved yesterday for a Cash +.  It's 0% interest for 9 months, then my APR will be 14.99%.

Message 38 of 50
Brax
Frequent Contributor

I think US Bank will continue to nerf the card into a more useless underwhelming Citi Dividend type card, I just hope they don't nerf the restaurants category too soon! They removed the Hotel category for next quarter and are replacing it with a convenient low-spend Gym/Fitness category! Yeah, no thanks most of us with gym memberships only spend $100-300 each quarter on gym/fitness so the new category is hardly worth it to anyone.

Message 39 of 50
celluloid17
Established Contributor

@Brax wrote:

I think US Bank will continue to nerf the card into a more useless underwhelming Citi Dividend type card, I just hope they don't nerf the restaurants category too soon! They removed the Hotel category for next quarter and are replacing it with a convenient low-spend Gym/Fitness category! Yeah, no thanks most of us with gym memberships only spend $100-300 each quarter on gym/fitness so the new category is hardly worth it to anyone.

Yikes!  I hope they at least keep the Cell Phone category.  That was one of my primary reasons for apping for that card. 

Message 40 of 50
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.