Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US Bank Cash+

tag
ksantangelo23
Frequent Contributor

US Bank Cash+

I recently started looking at new credit cards to add to my wallet, and narrowed it down to two: CSP, and Cash+. I was instantly approved for CSP at $9,400 with the lowest advertised APR, and my US Bank app was withheld for manual review.

Today, two days after my app I was approved for the basic 1% Cash version at $1,000.

I called the back door and was told that they "like to see a relationship before approving higher end cards". I knew this going into the process, but talk about a smack-down.

I attempted a recon of sorts by requesting another review, and I was told by the rep that it was unlikely to be approved. I doubt it will be with just my simple request. 

Is there anything can be done that I'm not thinking of? It seems impossible to talk directly to someone who has the power to make a decision during a call.

Thanks

AMEX Hilton Ascend: $55,000 | Chase Sapphire Reserve: $30,000 | PNC Points: $17,500 | AMEX BCE (AU): $18,000 | AMEX BCP: $15,000 | US Bank Cash+ $15,000 | AMEX Business Prime: $14,000 | AMEX SimplyCash: $12,000 | Capital One QS: $13,500 | Chase Business Ink: $12,000 | PNC Everyday (AU): $12,000 | JCPenny Store Card: $10,500 | Chase Slate: $9,400 | Capital One QS: $6,500 | (2nd) US Bank Cash+ (2nd): $7,500 | Discover IT: $6,000 | Chase Freedom: $3,500 | Auto Lease: $0/$21,000 | Auto Loan: $0/$18,000 |

TU: 818 EX: 809 EQ: 801

Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: US Bank Cash+

Honestly, Chase is so much easier to work with.  I have a CSP and a USBank card and while I was thrilled to get the US Bank card because I know they are so picky, their customer service is terrible.  They sent my first card to an address on my file from 20 years ago.  Chase expedited shipping, has a smooth and easy to navigate on-line system and the points are easy to transfer and use.  Plus, I just used the CSP all over Europe and not a single issue -- US Bank had a fraud alert although I had notified them in advance.   Thankfully your high SL is on the CSP -- you won't miss the US Bank card.  

Message 2 of 26
ksantangelo23
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Honestly, Chase is so much easier to work with.  I have a CSP and a USBank card and while I was thrilled to get the US Bank card because I know they are so picky, their customer service is terrible.  They sent my first card to an address on my file from 20 years ago.  Chase expedited shipping, has a smooth and easy to navigate on-line system and the points are easy to transfer and use.  Plus, I just used the CSP all over Europe and not a single issue -- US Bank had a fraud alert although I had notified them in advance.   Thankfully your high SL is on the CSP -- you won't miss the US Bank card.  

Unless there is another CC that gives back 5% on cell service, I will miss the card Smiley Sad I'd be maxing out their $2,000 quarterly cap with the help of family. 

Gym memberships too.

Though I'm already not pleased with their service overall. The first rep I had was helpful, and kind. But I called in again a few hours later and was immediately pointed out that I had called in before, and was asked why I was calling again. I said "I wanted to ask a question that I forgot to ask before" and the rep said "Ok", I asked "What requirements did I not meet that caused me to receive the Cash Rewards, and not the Cash Plus?" and she replied with a flabbergasted tone: "I.. I do not know the requirements", followed by silence. I quickly hung up after saying thank you.

AMEX Hilton Ascend: $55,000 | Chase Sapphire Reserve: $30,000 | PNC Points: $17,500 | AMEX BCE (AU): $18,000 | AMEX BCP: $15,000 | US Bank Cash+ $15,000 | AMEX Business Prime: $14,000 | AMEX SimplyCash: $12,000 | Capital One QS: $13,500 | Chase Business Ink: $12,000 | PNC Everyday (AU): $12,000 | JCPenny Store Card: $10,500 | Chase Slate: $9,400 | Capital One QS: $6,500 | (2nd) US Bank Cash+ (2nd): $7,500 | Discover IT: $6,000 | Chase Freedom: $3,500 | Auto Lease: $0/$21,000 | Auto Loan: $0/$18,000 |

Message 3 of 26
kdm31091
Super Contributor

It sounds like you'll just have to wait. It's a bummer, but you can absolutely get upgraded to the Cash+ down the line. Just use the basic Cash card responsibly for 6 months or so and then see what they can do.

Message 4 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well point taken on the 5% on cell service.  But unfortunately the "I do not know the requirements" is the norm, not the anomaly at US Bank.  

Message 5 of 26
12njoy
Super Contributor

@ksantangelo23 wrote:

I recently started looking at new credit cards to add to my wallet, and narrowed it down to two: CSP, and Cash+. I was instantly approved for CSP at $9,400 with the lowest advertised APR, and my US Bank app was withheld for manual review.

Today, two days after my app I was approved for the basic 1% Cash version at $1,000.

I called the back door and was told that they "like to see a relationship before approving higher end cards". I knew this going into the process, but talk about a smack-down.

I attempted a recon of sorts by requesting another review, and I was told by the rep that it was unlikely to be approved. I doubt it will be with just my simple request. 

Is there anything can be done that I'm not thinking of? It seems impossible to talk directly to someone who has the power to make a decision during a call.

Thanks

When I got my Cash+ last year I was approved for 2k.  I called and spoke with an underwriter and asked for increase to 5k.  Took 3 days for manual review but I was approved for 5k before I even got the card.  They used the same credit pull as the application.  I still sit at 5k today.

(Formerly known as: Credit is my hobby (1.6M)/TCL objective)
___________ 12Njoy
FICO - EX 810; EQ 797; TU 804 I'm climbing back to 800+
Message 6 of 26
ksantangelo23
Frequent Contributor

@12njoy wrote:

@ksantangelo23 wrote:

Thanks

When I got my Cash+ last year I was approved for 2k.  I called and spoke with an underwriter and asked for increase to 5k.  Took 3 days for manual review but I was approved for 5k before I even got the card.  They used the same credit pull as the application.  I still sit at 5k today.

Were you approved for a Cash+ at 2k or the Cash Rewards (1%)? Also, what was your relationship with them before the card?

Message 7 of 26
12njoy
Super Contributor

@ksantangelo23 wrote:

@12njoy wrote:

@ksantangelo23 wrote:

Thanks

Were you approved for a Cash+ at 2k or the Cash Rewards (1%)? Also, what was your relationship with them before the card?

Sorry it was the Cash Rewards and I had no relationship with them at all.  I was upgraded to the Cash+ after four months at my request.

(Formerly known as: Credit is my hobby (1.6M)/TCL objective)
___________ 12Njoy
FICO - EX 810; EQ 797; TU 804 I'm climbing back to 800+
Message 8 of 26
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

Definitely call back and ask them to take another look at it if they don't give you the Cash+, US Bank has been decent with my reconsideration requests.
Message 9 of 26
ksantangelo23
Frequent Contributor

Update: I called in to check the status of my request to be bumped to $5,000 inorder to be eligible for the Cash+. It was denied for "No comparable credit limits". Smiley Frustrated

I quickly pointed out I certainly do have plenty of overly comparable limits, AMEX at 20k, Chase at 9.4k (not in sig yet), CapOne at 6.5k, even an 18k auto loan mostly paid off. Perhaps I should reallocate 10k back to my BCP for another "comparable limit".

Either way, the rep pushed it back to underwriting for review again. We'll see.

Message 10 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.