cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US Bank Secured Card Post Bankruptcy?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: US Bank Secured Card Post Bankruptcy?

@TATATA wrote:

I actually received an e-mail from their corporate office about a year ago, telling me that they would not be able to approve me for a secured card, if my BK showed on the credit report. I personally think this is stupid. These credit cards are intended for people who want to RE-ESTABLISH OR ESTABLISH credit. But, not if you have a BK on your credit report?? I wonder what is the logic behind this...??

I wonder what is the percentage of people that file BK and still default on their future obligations. If anything, BK has taught me to be very careful with my finances and not spend more than I can afford. 

I completely agree.  I don't get their reasoning.  It seems to me it would limit their customer pool.  As for the folks with BK's NOT defaulting again, my mom was forced to BK during an UGLY divorce and she has NEVER been late or delinquient on anything since.  She has said the BK was the most humbling experience of her life and although she may have gotten driven to BK through no fault of her own (divorce attorney's can be brutal) she learned her lesson and will never find herself in that situation again if she can help it.

Message 11 of 21
JenniferinFL
Frequent Contributor

Thanks for all the replies! I won't bother applying for them then. I'd like another main card as my only one is a Capital One. I think I could be approved for another Capital One, but, my current one is pretty much their only product without an annual fee. I did open a USAA bank account recently, perhaps they have a secured card?

I will continue shopping around and resign myself to encouraging my husband to app for that gymboree store card I'll never qualify for.. lol

Current Cards: Cap 1 Journey $3000, Cap 1 Playstation $2250, WFNNB Store Cards $2450 combined, Target $700, CareCredit $1700, Barclay Rewards Plat. Mastercard $1800, Old Navy $300, DCU Platinum Rewards Visa $2000, Swagbucks Rewards Visa $1000

Starting Score: 615 EQ (03-15-2012) 600 TU (03-21-2012 Barclays app) ) Ch.7 discharged 5/2009

Current Score: 671 EQ (09-27-2014 DCU) 660 TU (9/26/14 Barclays) Ex 688 (10/07/2014 Swagbucks)

Gardening since 9/22/2014

Message 12 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@JenniferinFL wrote:

Thanks for all the replies! I won't bother applying for them then. I'd like another main card as my only one is a Capital One. I think I could be approved for another Capital One, but, my current one is pretty much their only product without an annual fee. I did open a USAA bank account recently, perhaps they have a secured card?

I will continue shopping around and resign myself to encouraging my husband to app for that gymboree store card I'll never qualify for.. lol

Lol, well on the Gymboree card, Ask, Believe, Recieve.  Sorry about US Bank.  USAA actually has two secured cards and one is an AMEX.  I wish I would have been a member and known about the secured AMEX when I started my rebuilding way back when.  Good luck to you.

https://www.usaa.com/inet/pages/banking_credit_cards_secured_credit_card

Message 13 of 21
JenniferinFL
Frequent Contributor

I decided to app for another Cap One product, the Playstation card since it gives triple points on fast food which wil probably include my Dunkin Donuts coffee. I'm hoping I can buy movie rentals from the playstation store with points. That would be convenient since that's probably about as many points as I'll earn.. lol

Approved for $500 limit and 0% financing through May 2013 on all purchases, so, there, have a second regular credit card. I didn't see another Cap One product besides Journey that didn't have an annual fee, but, then looked at their cobranded cards and there's a few with 0 annual fee including this one. At least now I feel very well buffered with plenty of accounts that will hit 2 years old right when all my positive old accounts are falling off. I wasn't comfortable with just one main card, so, now I can relax. Anything else I really want I either need to be 5 years out from bankruptcy, have more income, or not show a bankruptcy at all. So, now would probably be a good time to banish myself from the credit card forum and just visit the rebuilding forum as needed. Otherwise nothing else to do but work on that last collection and manage existing accounts wisely.

Current Cards: Cap 1 Journey $3000, Cap 1 Playstation $2250, WFNNB Store Cards $2450 combined, Target $700, CareCredit $1700, Barclay Rewards Plat. Mastercard $1800, Old Navy $300, DCU Platinum Rewards Visa $2000, Swagbucks Rewards Visa $1000

Starting Score: 615 EQ (03-15-2012) 600 TU (03-21-2012 Barclays app) ) Ch.7 discharged 5/2009

Current Score: 671 EQ (09-27-2014 DCU) 660 TU (9/26/14 Barclays) Ex 688 (10/07/2014 Swagbucks)

Message 14 of 21
charyot77
Regular Contributor

I think you made the right choice. I signed up for the US Bank hoping it would graduate, but apparetly it doesnt. You have to app for a new card.  What's the point!?

Message 15 of 21
JenniferinFL
Frequent Contributor

Yeah, I'll just see if my husband will app for any US Bank products that may be up our alley, maybe I can at least be an authorized user.. lol

I'm actually excited about the playstation card.. lol..  I've loved the Journeys card so far from Cap One, made my minimum payment with my points last month, it's just easy to use. But, there's really nothing that gives bonus points, so, it'll be nice to have a different card to use for some extra points and since we rent movies on playstation anyways it should work out nice for me anyways.

Maybe I've just been lucky, but, so far I'm very happy with the Cap One card I have. It is odd though, they started me out with a $1000 credit limit but my husband has been stuck at the same $300 limit for 4 years now with his Capital One despite having a much higher score than me and more income.. lol

Oh well, I'm happy with it, only Us Bank card I was craving was Gymboree and my husband said he'd app for one as soon as the house either closes or we move into an apartment. Love the idea of an extra 5% off even on clearance. I scrounge through that store every couple weeks looking for clearance. Often get by for less than buying used at our local consignments. Just would like an extra 5% off too.. lol

Message 16 of 21
bill31
Valued Member

I am currently in chapter 13 and got aprooved for a U.S. Bank secured card, with $300 Deposit.  My ficoscore is 640 across the board, and I included a mortgage  and 3 small cards Bank Of America for $3000 sears $950 and dell for $250.00 each in the chapter 13 which I am paying 100% only filled BK to release Liability and Surrender the mortgage due to separation. 

Message 17 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

At the time they denied you the card, how long since your BK filing date?

Message 18 of 21
Dayra

I am also trying to repair my credit. I've never had a BK. My TU is 654. However, I applied to a DCU secured credit card and they denied me. They told me I had too many inquiries in my credit report, (15).

Message 19 of 21
sjt
Senior Contributor

@dude11 wrote:

Hate to provide the OP with bad news, but the terms and conditions for the US Bank Secured card state at the very bottom that you will not be approved with a BK. Here is a link to the terms.

http://goo.gl/6d5Hl

In the Terms and Agreements it states:

We may be unable to approve your application if your credit bureau reflects a bankruptcy, you are less than 18 years of age, or if your Security Deposit is less than $300.

This is telling me that there is a possibility of approving an account with a BK. Also read on this board the folks have been able to get their unsecured cards with a BK on their CR.

I think it would be best to go to a US bank and have a banker push through an application.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.