Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US Bank Secured Card

tag
Gotons
Regular Contributor

US Bank Secured Card

Anyone had much luck with this card?  According to their website, it looks like they do offer graduation if you meet their requirements after 12 months.  They do have a $35 AF and subject to a minimum 20.99 APR.  I'm going into their office to apply for a checking account on Thursday.  I applied online for one in 2007 and must have had something in Chex so they denied me, or credit wise.  A CSR over the phone told me that once you're denied an online app for an account, you were always be denied online but to go to a branch and apply.  If still denied to go for their second chance checking.  I figure while I'm there, I can inquire about the US Bank secured card, but was wondering if anyone else has one and if they're satisfied with it.
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: US Bank Secured Card

@Gotons wrote:
Anyone had much luck with this card?  According to their website, it looks like they do offer graduation if you meet their requirements after 12 months.  They do have a $35 AF and subject to a minimum 20.99 APR.  I'm going into their office to apply for a checking account on Thursday.  I applied online for one in 2007 and must have had something in Chex so they denied me, or credit wise.  A CSR over the phone told me that once you're denied an online app for an account, you were always be denied online but to go to a branch and apply.  If still denied to go for their second chance checking.  I figure while I'm there, I can inquire about the US Bank secured card, but was wondering if anyone else has one and if they're satisfied with it.

I do not have their secured card nor do I know anyone with one, but I do know a bit about US BANK, having been banking with them over 20 years.

They are a fairly conservative bank. I also looked on their website and if you look at the application it states it will be declined if their is a bankruptcy on your credit report. I do not know if this is applicable to you, but it is a reason. They also said you would have to print this application out and mail it in.

I do know that US BANK is going to get rid of their online CC  applications to the point that people will have to send them in. Much like they are also going to eliminate Automatic CLI's and only look at those made by the account holder in person. (By phone or mail, not over the computer)

One of the most innovative features you mention is what the call "Second Chance Checking". US BANK will open a checking account for a person even if they are in the CHEX SYSTEM as long as they have never had a problem with a US BANK ACCT or any criminal activity/fraud is reported on CHEX.

They also will issue a Debit Card with the new "Second Chance Acct" and is actually one of the few banks that will do this. It has been a very successful program as they tell me that the rate of abused accts is lower with Second Chance Accts then it is with regular accts.

Like any institution, you will find people saying GOOD or BAD things about them here. Personally, I can say nothing bad about them or my service with them.

Best of luck with whatever you decide to do.

Message 2 of 9
Gotons
Regular Contributor

Thanks for the information.  I don't have anything on Chex, or any bankruptcies.  I'm not sure I even had anything in Chex when I originally applied, so I'll go and check on Thursday.  I do have a savings account with them (my direct deposit goes into it), so hopefully that will help.  Thanks for the information!

If anyone else has any, I'm all ears!

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I opened a secured card a couple of years ago and really didn't use it to much. I think it was at the 14th Month that they upgraded me to unsecure after doing a credit check. They sent my $2000 back to me and gave me a $2000 CL.
Message Edited by l9ikjam on 10-27-2009 10:49 PM
Message 4 of 9
Gotons
Regular Contributor

Went down to my local branch and applied today.  They had to send a Cashiers Check with it and they mailed it for me.  I should hear something soon they said.  I'll let everyone know how it goes and how the card is.  The woman did tell me that as long as the card is treated right, it will graduate.
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Gotons wrote:
Went down to my local branch and applied today.  They had to send a Cashiers Check with it and they mailed it for me.  I should hear something soon they said.  I'll let everyone know how it goes and how the card is.  The woman did tell me that as long as the card is treated right, it will graduate.

Like I said earlier, I have never had a problem with US BANK. They do tend to be a bit more conservative, but nothing wrong with that.of course, I do make it a habit of keeping a personal relationship with my banker and that always helps.

Best of luck with all you are trying to accomplish.

Message 6 of 9
Gotons
Regular Contributor

I just wanted to add some more information that I found out.  The money you use to secure your US Bank secured card DOES draw interest.
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just wanted to update this thread. I have had credit problems in the past, but I have been banking at US Bank over the past 6 years or so. I have applied for their secure card  couple of weeks ago and got approved.I am working on rebuliding my credit and this is going to help me very much.

Message 8 of 9
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

I like the fact that they offer some co-branded secured cards, so you can actually get some benefits as well.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.