Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US Bank Secured card or Capital Bank Open Sky

tag
TVP125
New Contributor

US Bank Secured card or Capital Bank Open Sky

I need to open a secured card and was looking at the US bank secured card but I do not think they have any locations in Florida which means they will not issue a card to me. Does anyone know if this is the case and also the second option was Capital Bank Open Sky secured card which I do not see a lot of information on this card any reviews or experience. Thanks in advance 

Thank You!
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: US Bank Secured card or Capital Bank Open Sky

Neither Us bank nor Capital Bank have branches in Florida, but they will issue you a card if approved. But I will recommend you to apply for US Bank, since Capital Bank is terrible, they are not the same like when it was Public Savings, I closed mine in January, and the experience with Public Savings was pretty good, but since Capital bank bought it is horrible.

Message 2 of 9
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

@TVP125 wrote:

I need to open a secured card and was looking at the US bank secured card but I do not think they have any locations in Florida which means they will not issue a card to me. Does anyone know if this is the case and also the second option was Capital Bank Open Sky secured card which I do not see a lot of information on this card any reviews or experience. Thanks in advance 

IMO, That is an odd combination.   

US Bank will not likely approve  if you have terrible credit.   In the past, you had to live where they had branches to get a US Bank card (not conbranded).   They have some cobranded secured cards without geographical restrictions.   If your credit is just medium bad, then I would say go for it.

Open Sky is gotten to be very sub prime, so only recommended for terrible credit.  I think there are better choices, depending on how bad your credit is.  

Message 3 of 9
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@TVP125 wrote:

Why not try Capital One secured?

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 4 of 9
Jimmy9224
Contributor

I would apply for the bank of america secured card, they'll give an unsecured card after 1year of good payment usage and return your deposit which is nice!
Or cap1 which not a lot of people would agree on with me but they do report to the 3 bureaus as it being an unsecured card which is nice! Though they require you close your account to receive your deposit which hurts your AAoA so that's a no-no.
Or first premier bank, low apr Smiley Happy
My wallet : Amex Zync NPSL , Discover More $3500, BankAmericard Cash Rewards $1000, Walmart Discover $1400, Chase Freedom $1000, Capital one Platinum $1000, Macy's Store card $100, Amazon Store card $1400, Southwest rapid rewards $5000, Marriot Visa $5000. Barclay Apple $1200
Message 5 of 9
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@Jimmy9224 wrote:
I would apply for the bank of america secured card, they'll give an unsecured card after 1year of good payment usage and return your deposit which is nice!
Or cap1 which not a lot of people would agree on with me but they do report to the 3 bureaus as it being an unsecured card which is nice! Though they require you close your account to receive your deposit which hurts your AAoA so that's a no-no.
Or first premier bank, low apr Smiley Happy

Smiley Very HappySmiley Very HappySmiley Very HappySmiley Very HappySmiley Very HappySmiley Very HappySmiley Very Happy

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 6 of 9
annielorie
Valued Contributor

Did someone say 1st premier:  I have this card cause I was afraid I couldnt get any without large deposit anyway 49.9% apr not a typo I paid 75$ fee and 95 $ secured deposit the only good thing is they report to all the bureaus will definately lose this card at 11 month mark with more tradelines and cc hopefully autoloan agirl gotta do what a girls gotta do

Starting Score: 0
Current Score: TR??FICOEQ ?? FICO
Goal Score: 760

Lowes7,000 Discover More 2800. Jcpenny 6,000
Chase freedom 800 Never take NO for an answer!!
Message 7 of 9
LS2982
Mega Contributor

my FP is done at the end of the month, no monthly fees here!

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 8 of 9
FICO850
New Visitor

I think when re-building (or building) credit, a secured credit card is an excellent tool and it doesn't really matter which company as long as it reports to ALL 3 bureaus. Another feature is whether the credit card company does a hard or soft inquiry. When rebuilding it's better to limit (hard) inquiries. Public Savings Bank (so I assume Capital) doesn't do hard pulls, neither does Applied Bank or First Progress (Synovus Bank). All three are available nationwide (Synovus doesn't issue to ~3 states, AR, NY and another state, I think). 

Because Applied Bank only reports to TransUnion and Experian (not Equifax), I think the other two are better (each reports to all 3 bureaus). Those are the 3 banks I'm familiar with. What's most important is to keep your balance low (but not zero) so not only does that improve score but then interest rates and fees aren't so much a factor.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.