cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US Bank and Visa Signature Changes (Effective July 27th, 2016)

tag
14Fiesta
Established Contributor

US Bank and Visa Signature Changes (Effective July 27th, 2016)

I don't know if this restructuring is due to the news of Visa Infinite coming to the US but when I got into the office today there was an update as to how Visa Signature is going to be handled at US Bank.

First off the $5,000 minimum credit line is gone. Before if you wanted a Visa Sig you needed to have at least that.

The new minimum is split for our two most popular products.

For the Cash + Visa Signature, the new minimum credit line is $1,000.

For the Flexperks Travel Rewards Visa Signature, the new minimum credit line is $300.

Also for the Flexperks, there were a few changes to the rewards. 

For new accounts, the sign-up bonus spend threshold was lowered to $2,000 within 4 months. (Previously $3,500 in 4 months). The 20K Flexpoints for the Visa is still the same bonus.

And for new accounts approved after July 27th, You will no longer earn 3,500 bonus Flexpoints per year for spending $24,000 per year. If you had a Flexperks Travel Rewards Visa before this date you will be grandfathered in and keep earning your bonus points if you meet the yearly spend requirement. 

Like I said at the beginning though, that new minimum credit line change is perplexing to me, and I wonder if it has anything to do with the new Visa Infinite tier being introduced to the US. Maybe we will see more changes soon, although nothing official yet Smiley Tongue

EX FICO (AMEX): 728 (4/29/17) | TU FICO (Discover): 737 (4/7/17) | EQ FICO (Citi): 746 (3/28/17)
11 REPLIES 11
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

Re: US Bank and Visa Signature Changes (Effective July 27th, 2016)

Thanks for sharing.

I am a US Bank cardholder (FlexPerks)

Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the update Fiesta!

So will I be able to call in and upgrade my Cash Platinum to VS now? Smiley Surprised (I have 1.3k CL) 

Message 3 of 12
14Fiesta
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

So will I be able to call in and upgrade my Cash Platinum to VS now? Smiley Surprised (I have 1.3k CL) 

Not 100% sure on that yet.

In theory you should be able to, but I know when changes like these happen often times it takes a week or two for the systems to fully update and register the changes. AKA they might say you cannot until the system recognises 1.3K as Valid for VS. 

It never hurts to call and ask, or send a SM though!

EX FICO (AMEX): 728 (4/29/17) | TU FICO (Discover): 737 (4/7/17) | EQ FICO (Citi): 746 (3/28/17)
Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@14Fiesta wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Not 100% sure on that yet.

In theory you should be able to, but I know when changes like these happen often times it takes a week or two for the systems to fully update and register the changes. AKA they might say you cannot until the system recognises 1.3K as Valid for VS. 

It never hurts to call and ask, or send a SM though!

Right. Forgot you could SM Us Bank, just sent them a message! Thanks.

Message 5 of 12
Discover2016
Valued Contributor

Interesting, it wouldn't surprise me going forward to see banks using Visa Signature as the basic offering and Infinite as the new "Signature".

Gardening until September 2025
Next app: Mortgage in September 2025
Message 6 of 12
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Interesting... I am guessing alot of these "signature" cards won't be flexible spending accounts meaning one can't go over the CL.  Appears like more Signatures are falling below 5k threshold and I believe the Amazon by Chase was one of the first to do this.  I am also guessing you are going to be seeing Infinite as the new signature in the next year or two.  1k visa signature is funny.  All marketing I suppose.  Thanks for post OPw/regards to US Bank/Elan.

First Premiere/Credit One VS soon to followSmiley Happy

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey there fiesta, just wanted to come back with an update. I SM'd them and they said my card wasn't eligible for Visa Sig. 

Message 8 of 12
minski
Established Contributor

If minimum for Cash+ Visa Sig is $1000, why would anyone want the Platinum? Would it be easier to PC or get Platinum Cash+ vs Visa Sig? I'm hoping to PC my stupid Cash Rewards to the Cash+ and have a low limit of $1500... (Chase gave me $10,000 on my Freedom with their lowest APR; same day app with US Bank Cash+ being first, lol)

Message 9 of 12
sponge_gto
New Contributor

Won't affect my 8k Club Carlson I guess but I wonder if this trend would be picked up by BoA and change the whole Alaska bait-n-switch scene..

Amex: EDP, Platinum, SPG, Delta Gold; Chase: United no-AF, CSR, FU, IHG, Freedom; US Bank: Club Carlson Premier, Fidelity; Barclay: Rewards, SM; Discover: IT; Cap. One: Quicksilver; BoA: BBR; Consumers CU: Cash Rebates Siggy
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.